Windows 10: Driver Related BSOD - Driver Verifier

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 11,508
    Windows 10 Pro
       04 Mar 2016 #11

    Please make sure your pc is configured for small dump files How to configure minidump | Windows 10 tutorial
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 15
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter
       07 Mar 2016 #12

    axe0 said: View Post
    Please make sure your pc is configured for small dump files How to configure minidump | Windows 10 tutorial
    Okay, I uninstalled Symantec and made sure all the drivers weren't running anymore and then followed the steps to configure minidumps. I am still getting the blue screens with just a CRITICAL PROCESS DIED error and no dumps. I'm completely stumped on what to try next.

    I tried running the laptop at home rather than work. At both locations I was connected to Ethernet via a Thunderbolt cable adapter and to a monitor via HDMI. However, the laptop was not plugged into a charger at home. I guess I could try at work with no laptop charger plugged in?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 15
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter
       08 Mar 2016 #13

    After all this troubleshooting, it looks like the blue screen only occurs when the laptop is at 100% and the charger is still plugged in. I didn't even think of that as an issue, as I've never heard of it occurring in new laptops. For now, it seems I can prevent the blue screens by unplugging the power before it hits 100%. Does anyone know of a permanent fix? Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 15
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter
       10 Mar 2016 #14

    PaulM said: View Post
    After all this troubleshooting, it looks like the blue screen only occurs when the laptop is at 100% and the charger is still plugged in. I didn't even think of that as an issue, as I've never heard of it occurring in new laptops. For now, it seems I can prevent the blue screens by unplugging the power before it hits 100%. Does anyone know of a permanent fix? Thanks.
    For four days, I had no crashes when the laptop was unplugged. Now, it just happened three times in ten minutes. First, the computer freezes, then the Windows taskbar disappears, and then the blue screen occurs. There are still no dump files being created upon the typical crash. Any ideas? Thank you.
    Last edited by PaulM; 10 Mar 2016 at 15:30.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 11,508
    Windows 10 Pro
       10 Mar 2016 #15

    What were the error codes displayed? Any driver shown?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 15
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter
       10 Mar 2016 #16

    axe0 said: View Post
    What were the error codes displayed? Any driver shown?
    The only error code I get is CRITICAL PROCESS DIED, unfortunately. It says it's collecting information but gets stuck at 0%.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 11,508
    Windows 10 Pro
       10 Mar 2016 #17

    That crash typically doesn't hold much data, my suggestion are some basic stuff to find out if there is hardware problems and/or system file corruption.
    Try booting in safe mode and see if the problem still persist.




    Driver Related BSOD - Driver Verifier Diagnostics Test Driver Related BSOD - Driver Verifier
     System File Check

    Please try following:
    • Open an admin command prompt
    • Copy/paste "sfc/scannow" (without quotes) and press enter
    • When it finished reboot your system
    • Open again an admin command prompt
    • Enter sfc/scannow again

    If sfc/scannow says "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" after the second SFC, please upload the cbs.log file located at {windows partition}\Windows\Logs\CBS\, if the file is too large try a 3rd party uploader like dropbox, onedrive, google drive, mediafire etc.
    System File Check(SFC a.k.a. Windows Resource Protection) needs to have your system rebooted in order for sfc to try to fix the problems that it finds.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 15
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter
       10 Mar 2016 #18

    axe0 said: View Post
    That crash typically doesn't hold much data, my suggestion are some basic stuff to find out if there is hardware problems and/or system file corruption.
    Try booting in safe mode and see if the problem still persist.




    Driver Related BSOD - Driver Verifier Diagnostics Test Driver Related BSOD - Driver Verifier
     System File Check

    Please try following:
    • Open an admin command prompt
    • Copy/paste "sfc/scannow" (without quotes) and press enter
    • When it finished reboot your system
    • Open again an admin command prompt
    • Enter sfc/scannow again

    If sfc/scannow says "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" after the second SFC, please upload the cbs.log file located at {windows partition}\Windows\Logs\CBS\, if the file is too large try a 3rd party uploader like dropbox, onedrive, google drive, mediafire etc.
    System File Check(SFC a.k.a. Windows Resource Protection) needs to have your system rebooted in order for sfc to try to fix the problems that it finds.
    Thanks again for helping out. I haven't tried safe mode for an extended period of time yet but I'll attach the CBS.log
    Attachment 68727
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 11,508
    Windows 10 Pro
       10 Mar 2016 #19

    The corruption is nothing to worry about, it is a file called opencl.dll that is replaced by Nvidia everytime you update your GPU drivers.
    This 'corruption' doesn't affect anything
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 15
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter
       10 Mar 2016 #20

    axe0 said: View Post
    The corruption is nothing to worry about, it is a file called opencl.dll that is replaced by Nvidia everytime you update your GPU drivers.
    This 'corruption' doesn't affect anything
    Thanks for looking into it. I'm really stumped here. There was a solid three weeks where I didn't have a single blue screen so I thought a hardware malfunction was improbable. My coworker has the same laptop build and is experiencing the same issue, even after having Dell replace the SSD, RAM, and clean out the inside.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Driver related BSOD in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Was having a lot of BSODs on my computer, so I completely formatted and reinstalled windows 10 - not a few days into the fresh reinstall, the bsods started coming again. So today I had a random bsod, which named ndis.sys as the problem. I then...
I have another post where people are helping me with BSODs on my gaming pc whenever I play games and they suggested I run driver verifier and send them the two more bsod minidump files. My question is once I enable driver verifier how long should I...
Windows Driver Verifier BSOD in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
So I have an old Alienware Aurora R1 and after about 5 years the liquid cooling tube burst and fried the motherboard. I figured it was time for an upgrade anyway, but I liked the case and didn't want to buy a new PC. So I got an ASRock Z97M Pro4...
Hi! Ever since I updated to Windows 10 i keep getting these random freezes(sometimes when i am playing or even when i am just browsing the internet) and it came up with this electric like buzzing in the speakers(also in headphones so it is not the...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:23.
Find Us