BSOD with ROM Layout mismatch detected


  1. Posts : 14
    win10 x64 pc-based
       #1

    BSOD with ROM Layout mismatch detected


    [FILES - I cannot access dump files, but I can provide cmd on bsod phone captures.. I can't get past bsod boot]

    My info's:
    Windows10 version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.2486)
    on PC-basedx64 (not amd), MSI GS63VR laptop

    Main problem/question:
    ROM Layout mismatch detected (F3 diagnostics)
    = could anyone please guide me how to solve it without losing files (or else with back-up-work-around in the BSOD..)

    My story (what happened, what I've already tried for fix):

    I was installing the Windows updates because I could not get the Visual C & .NET to work for 1 (one only) app
    (NB: other apps fine, and I delayed updating for as long as I could.. to my knowledge, all was actually up to date for Visual C..)

    I tried cmd for disabling updates *because they didn't fix anything, manual package install for NET v6 also solved nothing...

    I restarted after I was sure that cmd finished running lines - voila, I got the BSOD; critical_service_failed error code (the only exception when code changes to 0xc000021a is F8/9 boot option without driver signature enforcement - but I'm still stuck on bsod)

    I've done all the 'obvious' Win start/boot options, I'm stuck on blue screen and so no way to access logs or diagnostics
    (I've tried nearly everything except reset = safe mode, rolling updates back 1 month prior to recovery point, disabling drivers F8 boot option, checking / creating restore for BCD, running DISM & checking directories - all drivers fine ie C: D: E: X:)
    Also I can see all files / apps seem intact (drive D & C - I see it when running directories in cmd)

    + F3 leads me to:
    ROM image failed / unable to update image
    = ROM Layout mismatch detected
    (flash update option did nothing.. Load optimal defaults also nothing...)

    My MSI laptop has reset hole/button underneath (bios?), but I'm not sure how and when to operate it (what would it do to the files? I cannot risk erasing - I have a few recent documents I must access + unsaved log/apps eg bookmarks, software access, etc)

    I'm happy to provide more info's (phone pics of bsod screen), just please tell me what to check / show.. I've spent 2nd day searching forums trying to find a case like mine (I don't see one)
    Last edited by LDM2023; 06 Jun 2023 at 20:07.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 9,790
    Mac OS Catalina
       #2

    The reset button does not affect hard drive info.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 14
    win10 x64 pc-based
    Thread Starter
       #3

    bro67, just replied as 'thanked' but don't see it show - was saying I've figured already, while tinkering f3 boot.. no luck, but motherboard beep is encouraging.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 885
    10 Pro/11 Pro Dual Boot
       #4

    LDM2023 said:
    [FILES - I cannot access dump files, but I can provide cmd on bsod phone captures.. I can't get past bsod boot]

    My info's:
    Windows10 version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.2486)
    on PC-basedx64 (not amd), MSI GS63VR laptop

    Main problem/question:
    ROM Layout mismatch detected (F3 diagnostics)
    = could anyone please guide me how to solve it without losing files (or else with back-up-work-around in the BSOD..)

    My story (what happened, what I've already tried for fix):

    I was installing the Windows updates because I could not get the Visual C & .NET to work for 1 (one only) app
    (NB: other apps fine, and I delayed updating for as long as I could.. to my knowledge, all was actually up to date for Visual C..)

    I tried cmd for disabling updates *because they didn't fix anything, manual package install for NET v6 also solved nothing...

    I restarted after I was sure that cmd finished running lines - voila, I got the BSOD; critical_service_failed error code (the only exception when code changes to 0xc000021a is F8/9 boot option without driver signature enforcement - but I'm still stuck on bsod)

    I've done all the 'obvious' Win start/boot options, I'm stuck on blue screen and so no way to access logs or diagnostics
    (I've tried nearly everything except reset = safe mode, rolling updates back 1 month prior to recovery point, disabling drivers F8 boot option, checking / creating restore for BCD, running DISM & checking directories - all drivers fine ie C: D: E: X:)
    Also I can see all files / apps seem intact (drive D & C - I see it when running directories in cmd)

    + F3 leads me to:
    ROM image failed / unable to update image
    = ROM Layout mismatch detected
    (flash update option did nothing.. Load optimal defaults also nothing...)

    My MSI laptop has reset hole/button underneath (bios?), but I'm not sure how and when to operate it (what would it do to the files? I cannot risk erasing - I have a few recent documents I must access + unsaved log/apps eg bookmarks, software access, etc)

    I'm happy to provide more info's (phone pics of bsod screen), just please tell me what to check / show.. I've spent 2nd day searching forums trying to find a case like mine (I don't see one)
    your bios is corrupted and needs reflashed
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 402
    Windows 10 and Windows 11
       #5

    As above. Have you ever updated the BIOS? I would use another PC to make BIOS update media and try flashing a new BIOS. It is possible however that your laptop is now bricked.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 41,701
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #6

    Possible troubleshooting options are:

    a) Have Windows backup files and install a fresh version of Windows (custom install)

    b) Manually backup files and install a fresh version of Windows (clean install)


    Custom Install Windows 10

    How to Restore Files from Windows.old Folder in Windows 10

    Clean Install Windows 10

    Download Windows 10 ISO File

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...d/windows10ISO
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 14
    win10 x64 pc-based
    Thread Starter
       #7

    tomdsr said:
    your bios is corrupted and needs reflashed
    is that what this rom layout error points to? what could have happened between rom / bios & that update issue? (just wondering)
    i used the under-the-machine-reset-button and it's responsive (no issues, 1 beep steady each time - first time was 3 or 4 beeps..).

    - - - Updated - - -

    ubuysa said:
    As above. Have you ever updated the BIOS? I would use another PC to make BIOS update media and try flashing a new BIOS. It is possible however that your laptop is now bricked.
    I believe I had updated the bios once about 3 years ago.. but I guess there's now no cross-checking when it was. I checked MSI's website and there's no bios updates for my machine... so I'm guessing I need to find whatever their latest specific bios was, load it up (another PC), then try to do as you suggest via flashing/media.
    Would it keep the user files intact? (I'm a careful idiot, yes..)\
    Any chance there's a tutorial link you can share to somewhere? I'm combing the web 2-3 days now, will do so of course for this one.. I'm trying to understand the root cause.

    - - - Updated - - -

    zbook said:
    Possible troubleshooting options are:

    a) Have Windows backup files and install a fresh version of Windows (custom install)

    b) Manually backup files and install a fresh version of Windows (clean install)


    Custom Install Windows 10

    How to Restore Files from Windows.old Folder in Windows 10

    Clean Install Windows 10

    Download Windows 10 ISO File

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...d/windows10ISO
    I can\t get past the blue screen so I can't backup files til I solve this first.. and I'm cannot risk losing them. So far using cmd from boot (BSOD loop) reveals that all seems intact (ie Windows drivers, etc) - so I was suspecting 'forcing that update' was what may have done some error in over-write.. new with old didn't gel together nicely, if that makes sense.

    - - - Updated - - -

    UPD: with more tinkering in F3 about boot settings, I also now get BSOD for code 0xc0000225 (in [sata] mode selection = I changed from AHCI to Intel RST Premiuim )
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 885
    10 Pro/11 Pro Dual Boot
       #8

    LDM2023 said:
    is that what this rom layout error points to? what could have happened between rom / bios & that update issue? (just wondering)
    i used the under-the-machine-reset-button and it's responsive (no issues, 1 beep steady each time - first time was 3 or 4 beeps..).

    - - - Updated - - -



    I believe I had updated the bios once about 3 years ago.. but I guess there's now no cross-checking when it was. I checked MSI's website and there's no bios updates for my machine... so I'm guessing I need to find whatever their latest specific bios was, load it up (another PC), then try to do as you suggest via flashing/media.
    Would it keep the user files intact? (I'm a careful idiot, yes..)\
    Any chance there's a tutorial link you can share to somewhere? I'm combing the web 2-3 days now, will do so of course for this one.. I'm trying to understand the root cause.

    - - - Updated - - -


    I can\t get past the blue screen so I can't backup files til I solve this first.. and I'm cannot risk losing them. So far using cmd from boot (BSOD loop) reveals that all seems intact (ie Windows drivers, etc) - so I was suspecting 'forcing that update' was what may have done some error in over-write.. new with old didn't gel together nicely, if that makes sense.

    - - - Updated - - -

    UPD: with more tinkering in F3 about boot settings, I also now get BSOD for code 0xc0000225 (in [sata] mode selection = I changed from AHCI to Intel RST Premiuim )
    msi will have the latest bios and instructions how to do it. no it wont touch user files, only the bios chip on the motherboard.

    change the sata back to AHCI, you can only change that during windows install
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 41,701
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #9

    Please test the ability to boot using Memtest86 and/or Memtest86+
    MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 and ARM Memory Testing Tool
    Memtest86+ | The Open-Source Memory Testing Tool

    If the computer cannot boot to any bootable flash drive then move the problematic drive to an empty bay of another computer or a HD enclosure to backup files.

    Sorry! Something went wrong!
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 14
    win10 x64 pc-based
    Thread Starter
       #10

    tomdsr said:
    msi will have the latest bios and instructions how to do it. no it wont touch user files, only the bios chip on the motherboard.

    change the sata back to AHCI, you can only change that during windows install
    yup, I got the bios already handy - but it's not been updated since I've updated.. thanks for clarifying it for me!

    - - - Updated - - -

    zbook said:
    Please test the ability to boot using Memtest86 and/or Memtest86+
    MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 and ARM Memory Testing Tool
    Memtest86+ | The Open-Source Memory Testing Tool

    If the computer cannot boot to any bootable flash drive then move the problematic drive to an empty bay of another computer or a HD enclosure to backup files.

    Sorry! Something went wrong!
    OK will explore, kudos for those links. I got external drive (where I usually keep the backups) and 2nd laptop, so I also received recommendation for Linux file extraction (back up of files).. so I'm exploring all these right this moment. I've ran driver diagnostics (cluster files), main drivers have no issues found.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums