Win32k.sys FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA turned into CRITICAL PROCESS DIED

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 22
    Windows 10
       #1

    Win32k.sys FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA turned into CRITICAL PROCESS DIED


    Hello,

    after a couple of days of not using my desktop computer I've experienced a BSOD where Win32k.sys caused error: PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. I'm not sure if this is the direct result of a windows update. I've read the comments of a similar thread but the proposed solutions did not help. We are talking about Windows 10 Pro (Version 10.0.19041.1) and I started the repair last week with following steps:

    - Windows startup repair --> without avail

    - Try to load a previous restore point --> without avail

    - the only thing that worked until last week was the safe mode with network drivers. Then I tried the recommended steps I found online:
    - deactivated the virtual memory in the advanced system settings ("no paging" on all drives)
    - chkdsk --> without avail
    - windows memory diagnostic --> without avail
    - DISM and SFC --> without avail
    - unistall last quality update --> without avail
    - uninstall last functional update --> failed

    Then I gave up, and when I was trying to enter the safe mode to get the dumpfiles I encountered another BSOD: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED --> so now I am also not able to access the safe mode.

    However the comand prompt was still working, and I copied the minidump to a USB-Stick and could upload it by a functional notebook. Please find the latest MINIDUMP in the attached LOGS.zip

    I asked help from Microsoft Community:
    The minidump file indicated it is the Nvidia graphics card device driver that is causing the system crashes. I was asked to navigate to this folder in Command Prompt: C:\Windows\System32\drivers
    then look for a file named nvlddmkm.sys and delete that file, that should stop the Nvidia drivers loading. Since I didn't find the file in that specific folder I deleted it from following folder:
    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_ref_pubwu.inf_amd64_2e7fa54192fe16d0

    I assume the latest Windows Update interfered with the driver, that is not beeing updated anymore and might have created the problem. It made sense, because some days before the crash I experienced some graphics interferences (black horizontal lines and artefacts).

    Unfortunately this did not help, and then it was recommended to perform a clean install.
    Yeah, well clean install is always an option, but there is no challenge in it and feels like cheating. Besides, I don't want to re-install and re-configure everything, that's not the point in installing updates. Since the driver (nvlddmkm.sys) was not in C:\Windows\System32\drivers, I'm wondering, if the BSOD is comming because the driver is missing in that specific folder? If this is the case, can the driver be inserted into the folder in order to avoid the system from crashing?

    In the meantime I've also seeked for Support in the NVIDIA Forum and there I was encouraged to replace the graphics card in the hope to solve the problem. Now I have a Gainward GeForce GT 730 (Kepler) but the problem still persists. Hence I assume at the moment the deinstallation of the functional update failed, another more major error is hindering the system to boot; so no matter if I solve the graphics driver issue, the system won't boot unless this other problem is solved. So I tried several DISM and SFC variations, but none of them would work, due to a variety of exponentially occurring errors; I need an expert who can lead me in a structured way step by step through the problem. However I've uploaded all the logs I could find as an attachment here.

    Can you please help me?

    Regards,

    Bert
    Win32k.sys FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA turned into CRITICAL PROCESS DIED Attached Files
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 626
    10 Pro/11 Pro Dual Boot
       #2

    ELudwig said:
    Hello,

    after a couple of days of not using my desktop computer I've experienced a BSOD where Win32k.sys caused error: PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. I'm not sure if this is the direct result of a windows update. I've read the comments of a similar thread but the proposed solutions did not help. We are talking about Windows 10 Pro (Version 10.0.19041.1) and I started the repair last week with following steps:

    - Windows startup repair --> without avail

    - Try to load a previous restore point --> without avail

    - the only thing that worked until last week was the safe mode with network drivers. Then I tried the recommended steps I found online:
    - deactivated the virtual memory in the advanced system settings ("no paging" on all drives)
    - chkdsk --> without avail
    - windows memory diagnostic --> without avail
    - DISM and SFC --> without avail
    - unistall last quality update --> without avail
    - uninstall last functional update --> failed

    Then I gave up, and when I was trying to enter the safe mode to get the dumpfiles I encountered another BSOD: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED --> so now I am also not able to access the safe mode.

    However the comand prompt was still working, and I copied the minidump to a USB-Stick and could upload it by a functional notebook. Please find the latest MINIDUMP in the attached LOGS.zip

    I asked help from Microsoft Community:
    The minidump file indicated it is the Nvidia graphics card device driver that is causing the system crashes. I was asked to navigate to this folder in Command Prompt: C:\Windows\System32\drivers
    then look for a file named nvlddmkm.sys and delete that file, that should stop the Nvidia drivers loading. Since I didn't find the file in that specific folder I deleted it from following folder:
    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_ref_pubwu.inf_amd64_2e7fa54192fe16d0

    I assume the latest Windows Update interfered with the driver, that is not beeing updated anymore and might have created the problem. It made sense, because some days before the crash I experienced some graphics interferences (black horizontal lines and artefacts).

    Unfortunately this did not help, and then it was recommended to perform a clean install.
    Yeah, well clean install is always an option, but there is no challenge in it and feels like cheating. Besides, I don't want to re-install and re-configure everything, that's not the point in installing updates. Since the driver (nvlddmkm.sys) was not in C:\Windows\System32\drivers, I'm wondering, if the BSOD is comming because the driver is missing in that specific folder? If this is the case, can the driver be inserted into the folder in order to avoid the system from crashing?

    In the meantime I've also seeked for Support in the NVIDIA Forum and there I was encouraged to replace the graphics card in the hope to solve the problem. Now I have a Gainward GeForce GT 730 (Kepler) but the problem still persists. Hence I assume at the moment the deinstallation of the functional update failed, another more major error is hindering the system to boot; so no matter if I solve the graphics driver issue, the system won't boot unless this other problem is solved. So I tried several DISM and SFC variations, but none of them would work, due to a variety of exponentially occurring errors; I need an expert who can lead me in a structured way step by step through the problem. However I've uploaded all the logs I could find as an attachment here.

    Can you please help me?

    Regards,

    Bert

    Before posting a BSOD thread, please read the instructions here: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

    If you need to add new information, please make a new post in your initial BSOD thread. Please do not make an extra new thread.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 22
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    tomdsr said:
    Before posting a BSOD thread, please read the instructions here: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

    If you need to add new information, please make a new post in your initial BSOD thread. Please do not make an extra new thread.
    Hello tomdsr,

    Thanks for the hint; I've read the instructions, however is the script running in Windows PE on a system that doesn't boot. I've downloaded the script and saved it on an USB-stick but when I was trying to run/open the lnk-file it was not going to start the script as expected. I assume that when one is facing serious BSOD issues that need support here, the least ones can access Windows or at least safe mode in order to run this script.
    Last edited by ELudwig; 22 Apr 2022 at 14:22.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 40,021
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #4

    Find a flash drive that you can format.

    On a working computer create a bootable Sea Tools flash drive.

    Run the Sea Tools long generic test > take pictures > post images or share links into this thread using one drive, drop box, or google drive

    https://www.seagate.com/files/old-su...lsBootable.zip
    SeaTools Bootable User Manual - Using SeaTools
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 22
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    zbook said:
    Find a flash drive that you can format.

    On a working computer create a bootable Sea Tools flash drive.

    Run the Sea Tools long generic test > take pictures > post images or share links into this thread using one drive, drop box, or google drive

    https://www.seagate.com/files/old-su...lsBootable.zip
    SeaTools Bootable User Manual - Using SeaTools
    Hello zbook,

    Test performed as required. The tested drive (C:\) passed. Please find below the test results:

    Win32k.sys FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA turned into CRITICAL PROCESS DIED-20220423_172209.jpg

    Win32k.sys FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA turned into CRITICAL PROCESS DIED-20220423_172227.jpg

    Win32k.sys FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA turned into CRITICAL PROCESS DIED-20220423_172313.jpg

    Win32k.sys FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA turned into CRITICAL PROCESS DIED-20220423_172353.jpg

    Win32k.sys FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA turned into CRITICAL PROCESS DIED-20220423_172538.jpg

    Win32k.sys FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA turned into CRITICAL PROCESS DIED-20220423_172550.jpg

    Regards,

    Bert
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 40,021
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #6

    If possible, test all disk drives > post share links: one drive, drop box, or google drive

    Can you boot the computer into Windows?

    When the computer is powered on what do you see and hear?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 22
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    zbook said:
    If possible, test all disk drives > post share links: one drive, drop box, or google drive

    Can you boot the computer into Windows?

    When the computer is powered on what do you see and hear?
    I'll do, but from my point of view I'd exlude the drives as source of error. No, I cannot boot into Windows. As initially stated the system is always booting into BSOD with error code CRITICAL PROCES DIED, then the Windows repair is trying to do something and fails. Then I'm presented the Windows repair options: proceed, restart, shutdown, troubleshooting, you name it.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 40,021
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #8

    Boot to the Windows 10 MCT (Windows 10 iso) > Windows Recovery Environment (RE) > troubleshoot > command prompt

    Post images or share links of these commands with results:

    Code:
    bcdedit /enum all
    bcdedit | find "osdevice"
    diskpart
    lis dis
    lis vol
    sel dis 0
    det dis
    lis par
    sel par 1
    det par
    sel par 2
    det par
    sel par 3
    det par
    sel par 4
    det par
    sel par 5
    det par
    sel par 6
    det par
    sel dis 1
    det dis
    sel par 1
    det par
    sel par 2
    det par
    sel par 3
    det par
    sel par 4
    det par
    sel par 5
    det par
    sel par 6
    det par
    sel dis 2
    det dis
    lis par
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 22
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    zbook said:
    Boot to the Windows 10 MCT (Windows 10 iso) > Windows Recovery Environment (RE) > troubleshoot > command prompt

    Post images or share links of these commands with results:

    Code:
    bcdedit /enum all
    bcdedit | find "osdevice"
    diskpart
    lis dis
    lis vol
    sel dis 0
    det dis
    lis par
    sel par 1
    det par
    sel par 2
    det par
    sel par 3
    det par
    sel par 4
    det par
    sel par 5
    det par
    sel par 6
    det par
    sel dis 1
    det dis
    sel par 1
    det par
    sel par 2
    det par
    sel par 3
    det par
    sel par 4
    det par
    sel par 5
    det par
    sel par 6
    det par
    sel dis 2
    det dis
    lis par
    Hello zbook,

    I've performed the test with all drives --> all passed. Also please find attached the "Log" of the commands above. Unfortunately my language-pack is german and I didn't found a quick way to change the comand prompt of the Windows Recovery Environment (RE) to english.
    Win32k.sys FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA turned into CRITICAL PROCESS DIED-20220424_103205.jpg
    Win32k.sys FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA turned into CRITICAL PROCESS DIED Attached Files
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 40,021
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #10

    Insert flash drives into the problematic computer in which you can move back and forth to a working computer.
    Then upload results from the working computer into this thread.

    Boot to Windows RE > troubleshoot >

    a) startup repair > post an image of the results

    Search for: srttrail.txt or c:\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt


    b) system restore > post an image of the available / unavailable restore options

    c) command prompt:

    type:

    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootsect /nt60 all

    Post images of the commands with results.

    Reboot

    Report what you see during the reboot.


    After reboot search for:

    C:\windows\minidump
    C:\windows\memory.dmp
    C:\windows\livekernelreports
    C:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log

    Post share links into this thread.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums