Windows 10: Bsod:- irql_not_less_or_equal

  1.    26 Aug 2015 #1

    Bsod:- irql_not_less_or_equal


    BSOD occurs at shutdown:-
    IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\clfs.sys
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 11,504
    Windows 10 Pro
       26 Aug 2015 #2

    Hi Hariy Scot,

    Welcome to the 10forums.

    If I had to guess, the bluescreen would be caused by an inproperly closed program.
    But, I cannot find anything in the stack regarding 3rd party programs.
    This does not mean that there aren't any 3rd party programs involved, but we need to be sure with the 3rd party programs.



    Bsod:- irql_not_less_or_equal Diagnostic Test Bsod:- irql_not_less_or_equal
     DRIVER VERIFIER

    warning   Warning
    Please make a backup of your important files and get your rescue media or create one.
    Please create a restore point.

    Please read and run driver verifier.

    Driver verifier stresses your drivers and will crash your pc if any driver fails due to a violation.

    Driver verifier should be performed for a max of 48 hours, or when you have a bluescreen, whatever comes first.

    If driver verifier has found a violation and you can't get back into windows normally, try to boot into safe mode and reset in safe mode driver verifier, or in the troubleshooting options open command prompt and type verifier /reset.

    Note   Note
    Your system will act very sluggishly while driver verifier is enabled, this is normal as your drivers will be being subjected to heavy testing in order to make them crash.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    17 Sep 2015 #3

    axe0 said: View Post
    Hi Hariy Scot,

    Welcome to the 10forums.

    If I had to guess, the bluescreen would be caused by an inproperly closed program.
    But, I cannot find anything in the stack regarding 3rd party programs.
    This does not mean that there aren't any 3rd party programs involved, but we need to be sure with the 3rd party programs.



    Bsod:- irql_not_less_or_equal Diagnostic Test Bsod:- irql_not_less_or_equal
     DRIVER VERIFIER

    warning   Warning
    Please make a backup of your important files and get your rescue media or create one.
    Please create a restore point.

    Please read and run driver verifier.

    Driver verifier stresses your drivers and will crash your pc if any driver fails due to a violation.

    Driver verifier should be performed for a max of 48 hours, or when you have a bluescreen, whatever comes first.

    If driver verifier has found a violation and you can't get back into windows normally, try to boot into safe mode and reset in safe mode driver verifier, or in the troubleshooting options open command prompt and type verifier /reset.

    Note   Note
    Your system will act very sluggishly while driver verifier is enabled, this is normal as your drivers will be being subjected to heavy testing in order to make them crash.
    Ran with Driver Verifier until BSOD occurred.
    Debug files attached
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 11,504
    Windows 10 Pro
       17 Sep 2015 #4

    When was the BSOD?
    The most recent is from 3rd this month.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    01 Oct 2015 #5

    Recurrence of BSOD


    axe0 said: View Post
    When was the BSOD?
    The most recent is from 3rd this month.
    I have just had another.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 11,504
    Windows 10 Pro
       01 Oct 2015 #6

    Please remove / disable items from the startup in taskmanager
    These programs could interfere with the boot process giving you trouble.

    Due to some activity that might lead to the hard drive, please test your hard drive(s)



    Bsod:- irql_not_less_or_equal Diagnostics Test Bsod:- irql_not_less_or_equal
     HDD TEST

    Run SeaTools to check the integrity of your HDD. SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Note   Note
    Do not run SeaTools on an SSD as the results will be invalid.


    Run chkdsk Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums

    If the results are good, please run SFC
    Please do the following:

    • Open an admin command prompt
    • Copy/paste "sfc/scannow" (without quotes) and press enter
    • When it finished reboot your system
    • Open again an admin command prompt
    • Enter sfc/scannow again

    If sfc/scannow does NOT say "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violation", please upload the cbs.log file located at {windows partition}\Windows\Logs\CBS\, if the file is too large try a 3rd party uploader like dropbox, onedrive, google drive, mediafire etc.
    System File Check(SFC a.k.a. Windows Resource Protection) needs to have your system rebooted in order for sfc to try to fix the problems that it finds.


    Please fill in your system specs
    Please go to this site and download the tool. The tool will give you detailed information about your system specs, please fill in your system specs more completely.
    How to fill in your system specs:

      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    02 Oct 2015 #7

    axe0 said: View Post
    Please remove / disable items from the startup in taskmanager
    These programs could interfere with the boot process giving you trouble.

    Due to some activity that might lead to the hard drive, please test your hard drive(s)



    Bsod:- irql_not_less_or_equal Diagnostics Test Bsod:- irql_not_less_or_equal
     HDD TEST

    Run SeaTools to check the integrity of your HDD. SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Note   Note
    Do not run SeaTools on an SSD as the results will be invalid.


    Run chkdsk Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums

    If the results are good, please run SFC
    Please do the following:

    • Open an admin command prompt
    • Copy/paste "sfc/scannow" (without quotes) and press enter
    • When it finished reboot your system
    • Open again an admin command prompt
    • Enter sfc/scannow again

    If sfc/scannow does NOT say "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violation", please upload the cbs.log file located at {windows partition}\Windows\Logs\CBS\, if the file is too large try a 3rd party uploader like dropbox, onedrive, google drive, mediafire etc.
    System File Check(SFC a.k.a. Windows Resource Protection) needs to have your system rebooted in order for sfc to try to fix the problems that it finds.


    Please fill in your system specs
    Please go to this site and download the tool. The tool will give you detailed information about your system specs, please fill in your system specs more completely.


    Done.

    All checks complete with no errors.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 11,504
    Windows 10 Pro
       03 Oct 2015 #8



    Let me know if another BSOD occurs > please use the tool again and upload the zip file.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    03 Oct 2015 #9

    axe0 said: View Post


    Let me know if another BSOD occurs > please use the tool again and upload the zip file.
    Some more info in attached file.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 11,504
    Windows 10 Pro
       03 Oct 2015 #10

    clfs.sys is a windows driver as described, this should have been solved with SFC if it indeed was the cause.
    Windows drivers are rarely the real cause, but a lot blamed because they are the last active.
    If it appears that a windows driver is causing problems and clean install, sfc and dism cannot solve it then the only other solution is windows update if the hardware is not defective.

    Seeing the crashes are only IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, the usual causes are

    • Kernel mode driver,
    • System Service,
    • BIOS,
    • Windows,
    • Virus scanner,
    • Backup tool,
    • compatibility

    Everything related to Windows drivers can be ruled out.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Bsod irql_not_less_or_equal in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Upgrade to Windows 10 yesterday, from Windows 7 Pro. After a couple of hours of usage, I started getting BSODs, more specifically IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I decided to reset the system, but the same problem keeps occurring. I'm thinking it's a...
Irql_not_less_or_equal in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
heya i upgraded to windows 10 yesterday and now i keep getting a blue screen. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUALI think this is because of a bad driver? any ideas on how i can fix this. I already reinstalled my graphic card drivers with no succes.:(
Solved BSOD - usbehci.sys - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
I have already had 7 of them, just got one when trying to post this. I suspect my USB sound card. So far they have happened only in Windows, not in games, when listening to the music on youtube or via Radiosure, sometimes I was not even at PC, so I...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49.
Find Us