Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    11 Aug 2015 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Utah, USA
    Posts : 4
    Windows 10

    Blue Screen of Death When Laptop Is Unplugged


    Hello, I am in a bit of a bind.

    About 8 months ago I purchased a Lenovo Z50 laptop from Amazon. This has a quad-core AMD A10 processor, and 8 GB of RAM. When I got it, it ran Windows 8. It has worked flawlessly for me, despite all of the my coding projects and virtual machines that I frequently run on it.

    However, recently I have upgraded to Windows 10 via the Get Windows 10 applet from Microsoft. The problem is that it consistently crashes with the Blue Screen of Death, with the error code THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER.
    Upon further investigation, I found that it crashes whenever it's unplugged. I can boot it fine when it's plugged in, and it will work perfectly without any problems. However, the second it's unplugged (about 3 seconds, to be more precise), it will crash with the Blue Screen of Death. When I try to boot it without it plugged in, it will get to the login screen. From there I can log in, but about 20 seconds later, it will crash.

    Further research with the specific error code says that it is generally caused by a faulty graphics card. However, it does not seem like this is the case, because it works fine when it's not on battery power (it seems more likely that there is a problem with the battery, not the graphics card).
    I updated all of the drives (including the graphics driver and the drivers for the AC adapter and battery), but it did not solve the problem.
    I have not updated the BIOS (even though other articles recommended it), because the laptop is only 8 months old (BIOS probably won't have any critical updates, because it's pretty recent), and I am worried that messing with it might void my warranty or ruin the computer.

    I do not have spare cash, so I cannot afford to take it to a professional to look at it. This is why I am posting to this forum.

    I attached the requested ZIP file from the Log Collector:
    Attachment 30605
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    11 Aug 2015 #2

    Quote Originally Posted by shrimpster00 View Post
    Hello, I am in a bit of a bind.

    About 8 months ago I purchased a Lenovo Z50 laptop from Amazon. This has a quad-core AMD A10 processor, and 8 GB of RAM. When I got it, it ran Windows 8. It has worked flawlessly for me, despite all of the my coding projects and virtual machines that I frequently run on it.

    However, recently I have upgraded to Windows 10 via the Get Windows 10 applet from Microsoft. The problem is that it consistently crashes with the Blue Screen of Death, with the error code THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER.
    Upon further investigation, I found that it crashes whenever it's unplugged. I can boot it fine when it's plugged in, and it will work perfectly without any problems. However, the second it's unplugged (about 3 seconds, to be more precise), it will crash with the Blue Screen of Death. When I try to boot it without it plugged in, it will get to the login screen. From there I can log in, but about 20 seconds later, it will crash.

    Further research with the specific error code says that it is generally caused by a faulty graphics card. However, it does not seem like this is the case, because it works fine when it's not on battery power (it seems more likely that there is a problem with the battery, not the graphics card).
    I updated all of the drives (including the graphics driver and the drivers for the AC adapter and battery), but it did not solve the problem.
    I have not updated the BIOS (even though other articles recommended it), because the laptop is only 8 months old (BIOS probably won't have any critical updates, because it's pretty recent), and I am worried that messing with it might void my warranty or ruin the computer.

    I do not have spare cash, so I cannot afford to take it to a professional to look at it. This is why I am posting to this forum.

    I attached the requested ZIP file from the Log Collector:
    Attachment 30605
    dont know how much I can help, but a laptop is able to pull ( use ) more power when on battery than on mains.....so I am told...so maybe there is some connection, can't be overheating as it happens within 3 seconds....just wonders if you have advanced power options to turn down CPU use age so,it's the same for mains or battery plus any other settings that are different for mains/battery....just wondered if this would stop it happening and help identify the issue.....possible for someone with more knowledge than I have......just a thought...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    17 Aug 2015 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Utah, USA
    Posts : 4
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    I tried switching the power plan to "Power Saver," and the error still occurred. I then tried again, but with the power plan "High Performance," and I received the same error. There is no change.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    17 Aug 2015 #4

    Quote Originally Posted by shrimpster00 View Post
    I tried switching the power plan to "Power Saver," and the error still occurred. I then tried again, but with the power plan "High Performance," and I received the same error. There is no change.
    it's not just a power plan but the CPU settings need to be changed as described.....
    could be also a faulty battery or battery terminals......as it is only 8 months old, it is under guarantee, can't you report this as a fault a get it replaced..repaired.....

    also so using a boot USB pen with the windows 10 installed from windows media creator, you will have the option under repair troubleshooting to roll back to the previous operating system, assuming you haven't deleted the old windows.old files......


    just found this...some form of battery management....

    does it it make any sense ?


    Try the battery gauge reset.
    Open Lenovo Energy Management (should be running in the tray), one of the icons in the Battery section should say Battery Gauge Reset.
    It is recommended that you don't use your computer during the reset (couple hours).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    17 Aug 2015 #5
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    17 Aug 2015 #6

    this resolved issues for someone with similar problem.......but of course windows 10 may change the drivers back...

    I then contacted Lenovo Customer Support. I was told that I should install Thinkvantage System Update to see if there were drivers that needed to be installed. I installed it, and it found around five drivers that needed to be updated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    25 Aug 2015 #7
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    I have the same exact issue. Glad to hear I am not the only one in this mess. So far I tried all that was suggested except the battery reset. (Using the computer in class right now. I will give it a shot later.) I can vouch for shrimpster00. I too ran into this problem when I upgraded to Windows 10. All of the hardware seems to be in working order.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    25 Aug 2015 #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Schoby View Post
    I have the same exact issue. Glad to hear I am not the only one in this mess. So far I tried all that was suggested except the battery reset. (Using the computer in class right now. I will give it a shot later.) I can vouch for shrimpster00. I too ran into this problem when I upgraded to Windows 10. All of the hardware seems to be in working order.
    if you want to stop windows updating or changing your drivers, set up a god mode folder.....tutorial on this forum....and chose don't update drivers....up to you then what you update and when.....
    Last edited by reddwarf4ever; 26 Aug 2015 at 00:36.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    25 Aug 2015 #9
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    Found the issue. I actually had to update the BIOS after all, which can be located at the lenovo support site. Thanks guys. Ha ha, your suggestions did help me learn a few tricks, reddwarf4ever. I have another computer at home that could use the advise you gave me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    26 Aug 2015 #10
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 12,709
    Windows 10 Pro

    Hi shrimpster00,

    I'm very sorry for the delay, there aren't many people in this section.
    Are you still requiring help?
    If so, please use the tool again and upload a new zip file.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 blue screen BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO
26852 Upgraded to Windows 10, getting blue screen error: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO Decided to upgrade my Dell laptop to Windows 10, was running 7 on it. The install process seemed to go smoothly up until I had to login for the first time. PC...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
blue screen false error 0x00009AF8
Hi All, Just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Every so often I get the error message 0x00009AF8 on a blue screen, press esc. Esc brings me back to whatever I was doing with no harm. Research tells me this is a false alert. How do I get...
General Support
Blue flashing screen of DEATH
upgraded windows 7 when invited to. all compatibilities run by windows on my Dell laptop and one program, Dell access had to be removed. install proceeded smoothly all the way to the finish when it struggled to finish with comments like wait while...
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved Blue screen on restart - kmode_stop_exception
Only when restarting. While running, it runs like a champ (beyond Cortana giving me the cold shoulder, verbally). When restarting however, I get the error without any (file.dll). Checking the log, it appears to be the ntkrnl, which has never...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Black Screen of Death while updating from 8.1 to 10.
What should I do? I have restarted about 3 times now. What did you guys do to fix it? Any ideas?
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:19.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums