How long does event viewer save/store your bsod log?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 232
    Windows 10 HOME SINGLE LANGUAGE 21H1 19043
       #1

    How long does event viewer save/store your bsod log?


    Lets assume i had bsod 3 months or more ago, but at that time I had not checked the log in event viewer and today i would to check my 3 months ago bsod log. Does event viewer still save/store your old (3 months or more) bsod and how long it will be stored?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 25,054
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #2

    mikelferdinan said:
    Does event viewer still save/store your old (3 months or more) bsod and how long it will be stored?
    It's done by size of the log rather than date. Right-click on each log to see its Properties. Here is my System log, for example. Four months of records, and nowhere near full yet.

    Attachment 250273
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 232
    Windows 10 HOME SINGLE LANGUAGE 21H1 19043
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Bree said:
    It's done by size of the log rather than date. Right-click on each log to see its Properties. Here is my System log, for example. Four months of records, and nowhere near full yet.

    Attachment 250273
    Is there any tutorial how to find bsod log in event viewer here?

    Another question
    And does 3rd software like blue screen viewer by nirsoft show all of your previous bsod? For example i had bsod 3 months ago and today i download and open blue screen viewer by nirsoft. Will it show previous 3 months bsod log?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 14,897
    Windows 10 Pro
       #4

    To add to Bree's post, in event viewer it is possible that events from >3 years ago are present. The only time I've seen events getting deleted is when they are manually deleted (by you or a program).
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 25,054
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #5

    axe0 said:
    ...it is possible that events from >3 years ago are present. The only time I've seen events getting deleted is when they are manually deleted (by you or a program).
    ...and by a Feature Update, which is what cleared mine on 27th June....

    Attachment 250275
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 14,897
    Windows 10 Pro
       #6

    mikelferdinan said:
    Another question
    And does 3rd software like blue screen viewer by nirsoft show all of your previous bsod? For example i had bsod 3 months ago and today i download and open blue screen viewer by nirsoft. Will it show previous 3 months bsod log?
    Blue screen viewer and similar programs will not check Event viewer, they will look at locations where dump files are stored and open them. The results provided is very limited, but for good reasons. Due to the amount and variations in BSOD crashes, it's practically impossible for programs to cover every scenario to get down to the potential root cause, also because only a small number of BSOD crashes, compared to what's available, happen, i.e. most of them are rare or impossible to get.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 14,897
    Windows 10 Pro
       #7

    Bree said:
    ...and by a Feature Update, which is what cleared mine on 27th June....

    Attachment 250275
    A.k.a. a program
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 232
    Windows 10 HOME SINGLE LANGUAGE 21H1 19043
    Thread Starter
       #8

    axe0 said:
    To add to Bree's post, in event viewer it is possible that events from >3 years ago are present. The only time I've seen events getting deleted is when they are manually deleted (by you or a program).
    Is there any tutorial about how to check bsod log list in event viewer ?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 14,897
    Windows 10 Pro
       #9

    There is no tutorial on it, but filter the System events on 'Event sources' and choose 'Windows Error Reporting' as source to get the BSOD events.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 25,054
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #10

    mikelferdinan said:
    Is there any tutorial about how to check bsod log list in event viewer ?
    There's a lot more to analysing a BSoD than just looking in the event viewer. A 'BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst' like axe0 would use tools like this....

    Install and Configure WinDBG for BSOD Analysis

    ....I've tried, and it made my head hurt - best to ask the experts to look at it for you.....
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:34.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums