Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10 Pro
       03 Aug 2015 #1

    Multiple Bluescreens (DPC_WATCHDOG, VIDEO_TDR) after upgrade


    Hello! I've been having issues after upgrading to Windows 10, so I figured I'd see if I could find some answers about it here.

    Essentially, ever since I upgraded, my computer (which has had its issues in the past, admittedly) has been crashing repeatedly, multiple times per day, exact amount varying with what I'm doing. The most common error according to WhoCrashed is Video_TDR_ERROR, followed by DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, and HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED.

    I've noticed it crashes more often when playing a flash video or similar streaming, followed by media players, and then even sometimes when just browsing the web. The majority of the time, it will freeze first, repeating a sound loop varying from a split second to a full second or so until it finally bluescreens.

    I've taken the following steps so far to try fixing it, after some google searching:
    *Rolling back Nvidia drivers to .30
    *Completely removing the nvidia drivers with the uninstaller utility, and then reinstalling them again
    *Reinstalling sound drivers and wifi drivers.
    *SFC checks, and DISM even when nothing was found
    *Hard drive repair (Check disk and seatools)
    *Virus scans

    But no luck so far. I'm assuming it's driver/software related based on what I know of the errors and the timing of it all.

    As a side note, I can't change back to 7 right now, it's a long story that basically comes down to the files getting deleted when they shouldn't have been. I'd also prefer to avoid Restoring, as that removes all programs (Effectively, I don't have any from the Store), which defeats the purpose of upgrading instead of doing a clean install, unless someone knows of a 'repair' installation option like Windows 7 had, that keeps ALL programs installed, but I can't find anything like that.

    Attached the generated archive.
    Last edited by Falco1029; 03 Aug 2015 at 16:59.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10 Pro
       03 Aug 2015 #2

    Hey, had a couple more crashes, seemingly in the same vein as the others, but I went ahead and got those collected too, since you never know!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10 Pro
       04 Aug 2015 #3

    Just to note, I've also now gotten crashes when doing something as simple as moving files around. I won't bother updating the new crashes as 1) I'm on my laptop right now and 2) It's just more of the same, I doubt it will help. But let me know if you'd rather have the extra ones!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 224
    Win10 Pro x64
       04 Aug 2015 #4

    The Video_TDR_ERROR and DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION are definitely GPU related (I suffer from the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION myself on a GTX 750), and honestly I don't think there is much you can do at this point. Each driver for windows 10 to date has had memory issues. SLI is basically useless atm due to HUGE memory leaks, and single card setups get BSODs with tags like this: "*** Memory manager detected 11 instance(s) of page corruption, target is likely to have memory corruption." Nvidia has to sort that out, I have posted in their forum and given feedback reports including debug results. Hopefully it is fixed in the next driver release, and until it is unfortunately I really have no advice to offer you. HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED can also be caused by faulty drivers ( but I haven't seen this on in the windows 10 drivers personally) but the most common cause is corrupt registry entries. You could start by running a system cleaner/registry repair tool (I Like CCleaner) and scanning with malwarebytes just to make sure there isn't anything funny going on.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 2
    windows 10
       04 Aug 2015 #5

    Falco1029 said: View Post
    Hello! I've been having issues after upgrading to Windows 10, so I figured I'd see if I could find some answers about it here.

    Essentially, ever since I upgraded, my computer (which has had its issues in the past, admittedly) has been crashing repeatedly, multiple times per day, exact amount varying with what I'm doing. The most common error according to WhoCrashed is Video_TDR_ERROR, followed by DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, and HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED.

    I've noticed it crashes more often when playing a flash video or similar streaming, followed by media players, and then even sometimes when just browsing the web. The majority of the time, it will freeze first, repeating a sound loop varying from a split second to a full second or so until it finally bluescreens.

    I've taken the following steps so far to try fixing it, after some google searching:
    *Rolling back Nvidia drivers to .30
    *Completely removing the nvidia drivers with the uninstaller utility, and then reinstalling them again
    *Reinstalling sound drivers and wifi drivers.
    *SFC checks, and DISM even when nothing was found
    *Hard drive repair (Check disk and seatools)
    *Virus scans

    But no luck so far. I'm assuming it's driver/software related based on what I know of the errors and the timing of it all.

    As a side note, I can't change back to 7 right now, it's a long story that basically comes down to the files getting deleted when they shouldn't have been. I'd also prefer to avoid Restoring, as that removes all programs (Effectively, I don't have any from the Store), which defeats the purpose of upgrading instead of doing a clean install, unless someone knows of a 'repair' installation option like Windows 7 had, that keeps ALL programs installed, but I can't find anything like that.

    Attached the generated archive.
    I signed up just so I could post this, hopefully it helps you. I have been having a NVidia driver crash a few times a day since upgrading to windows 10. Particularly when I stream video.

    I made the following setting changes I found someone had done on a windows 7 machine and I haven't had a crash since. So far it only has been a day though. It might be worth trying until they get a fix done, if it works for you.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\GraphicsDrivers

    TDrLevel = 0 (new 32 bit d-word if you don't have it)
    TDrDelay = 2 (I believe this is actually default already, you might try adjusting it. same 32 bit d-word)

    Help me configure registry correctly to solve TDR issue - Windows 7 Help Forums

    I would recommend doing a little more searching if you want more info on what it does.

    edit: here is the link to the different reg keys: TDR Registry Keys (Windows Drivers)
    Last edited by win10guy; 04 Aug 2015 at 12:44.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10 Pro
       04 Aug 2015 #6

    I've run Ccleaner on my registry several times now, and the hal crashes are most infrequent according to my list of dumps, so maybe that's fixed? We'll see.

    As for the rest, win10guy, thanks, I'll give it a try and see if it helps! I'll keep you all informed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 224
    Win10 Pro x64
       04 Aug 2015 #7

    Falco1029 said: View Post
    I've run Ccleaner on my registry several times now, and the hal crashes are most infrequent according to my list of dumps, so maybe that's fixed? We'll see.

    As for the rest, win10guy, thanks, I'll give it a try and see if it helps! I'll keep you all informed.
    I checked your 2nd dump upload, i didn't see any in it but figured I should mention it anyways. And fyi I have seen mixed results regarding adjusting the tdr keys int he registry, and even if it helps you a bit the drivers are still flaky so I wouldn't expect the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION to go anywhere til after they release a new driver (which may also affect the TDRs). Nothing is ever perfect on a brand new OS
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10 Pro
       04 Aug 2015 #8

    Changing the values doesn't seem to have helped with the issues caused when I move to many files at once or try to archive a huge folder (I wanted to try doing a bit of backup, I know, should've done it already, but ya know), it does this thing where it will slow to a crawl, give me a few seconds of responsiveness, then slow to a crawl again (can't move mouse, barely responds to typing, etc), and repeat that ad infinitum, though notably it doesn't crash, at least not right away, I even had time to restart my PC once.

    WHen I get that PC up again, I'll upload the dump files I grabbed right before I had changed the values, as the last one in it is from me moving files, I figure maybe it's different somehow and might give another clue?

    EDIT: And to note, I haven't tried anything graphics intensive yet to see if I get the same issue with that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10 Pro
       04 Aug 2015 #9

    Dump attached
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 2
    windows 10
       04 Aug 2015 #10

    Carsomyr said: View Post
    I checked your 2nd dump upload, i didn't see any in it but figured I should mention it anyways. And fyi I have seen mixed results regarding adjusting the tdr keys int he registry, and even if it helps you a bit the drivers are still flaky so I wouldn't expect the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION to go anywhere til after they release a new driver (which may also affect the TDRs). Nothing is ever perfect on a brand new OS
    Ya, my error was different then his. Mine was also crashing in the middle of the night when i wasn't on my PC. I thought it was worth a shot, if it was semi related.

    But I agree, we need a driver fix.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Can I reformat using Win7 cd after upgrade if I want; Multiple times.
I was going to try the upgrade. But am really not sure if I should. I run a simulator with many many peripherals connected to it. So if things don't work. Or I just want to reformat my disk in the case of detecting spyware or similar problems. ...
Installation and Setup
Solved Bsod dpc_watchdog violation
It's been less than 2 days since I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I already got hit by this BSOD twice. I searched on the web for solution and everything that I found is related to drivers outdated but I'm certain that all my drivers...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Solved how to make windows 10 work after multiple upgrade fails
How to make windows 10 work!!!! i tried everything command prompt, del softwaredistribution/download, del $win nothing worked Then i tried the microsoft media creation tool when you run it on upgrade and there is a program blocking it it tells you...
Installation and Setup
Kernel Bluescreens
It's me again. I fixed all my previous bluescreen errors and havent been getting them for some time, but out of nowhere I started getting them again. 13460
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums