Windows 10: Crash/Freeze Seems Random after adding a second USB external NTFS HDD

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    01 Mar 2018 #1

    Crash/Freeze Seems Random after adding a second USB external NTFS HDD


    I recently added a USB WD MyBook external HDD. Also have a USB My Passport HDD. A few days after adding the MyBook, and every few days after that I am getting system freeze, where the mouse and keyboard (also USB wireless) stop responding. Only way is to power off/on to get the system back.

    I have tried a few UEFI tweaks with CPU power management but I confess, I don't have much clue what to do and if that is even helpful but it seems to be getting more frequent in the last day or two, maybe as a result of these adjustments.

    If anyone has had a similar issue and fixed it, please point me in the right direction to get this solved. It will be much appreciated. I have attached the DM logs.

    lrw
    Crash/Freeze Seems Random after adding a second USB external NTFS HDD Attached Files
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 6,275
    Windows 10 Pro X64 17134.191
       02 Mar 2018 #2

    No dumps in the zip you uploaded. I do see lots of these though:

    Code:
    3/1/2018 11:41 PM
    Application Error
    Faulting application name: AI Suite II.exe, version: 1.0.2.51, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.16299.248, time stamp: 0x13ae3814
    Exception code: 0x0eedfade
    Fault offset: 0x001008c2
    Faulting process id: 0x1dc4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3b1b63307b878
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite II\AI Suite II.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 5c06adfd-07ec-4840-b02c-fbc60a2b8aea
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Code:
    2/23/2018 9:35 PM
    Application Error
    Faulting application name: AsSysCtrlService.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4cc00d4c
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.16299.248, time stamp: 0x13ae3814
    Exception code: 0x0eedfade
    Fault offset: 0x001008c2
    Faulting process id: 0xcdc
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3acedf1715236
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsSysCtrlService\1.00.11\AsSysCtrlService.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: c90550b0-be05-4077-9463-1b04d7bd0002
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Both are part of ASUS AI Suite II . I suggest uninstalling it and see if that helps your problem.

    Also, your Nvidia driver is version 388.13 dated 10/26/2017. Remove and install latest Nvidia drivers:

    I suggest completely uninstalling the Nvidia display drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from WagnardMobile (near bottom of page) then get the latest driver for you Nvidia card here: NVIDIA Driver Downloads

    Then do a custom install of only the NVidia graphics driver and the PhysX driver.

    See if that gets rid of the problem.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    02 Mar 2018 #3

    Ztruker said: View Post
    No dumps in the zip you uploaded. I do see lots of these though:

    Code:
    3/1/2018 11:41 PM
    Application Error
    Faulting application name: AI Suite II.exe, version: 1.0.2.51, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.16299.248, time stamp: 0x13ae3814
    Exception code: 0x0eedfade
    Fault offset: 0x001008c2
    Faulting process id: 0x1dc4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3b1b63307b878
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite II\AI Suite II.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 5c06adfd-07ec-4840-b02c-fbc60a2b8aea
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Code:
    2/23/2018 9:35 PM
    Application Error
    Faulting application name: AsSysCtrlService.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4cc00d4c
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.16299.248, time stamp: 0x13ae3814
    Exception code: 0x0eedfade
    Fault offset: 0x001008c2
    Faulting process id: 0xcdc
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3acedf1715236
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsSysCtrlService\1.00.11\AsSysCtrlService.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: c90550b0-be05-4077-9463-1b04d7bd0002
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Both are part of ASUS AI Suite II . I suggest uninstalling it and see if that helps your problem.

    Also, your Nvidia driver is version 388.13 dated 10/26/2017. Remove and install latest Nvidia drivers:

    I suggest completely uninstalling the Nvidia display drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from WagnardMobile (near bottom of page) then get the latest driver for you Nvidia card here: NVIDIA Driver Downloads

    Then do a custom install of only the NVidia graphics driver and the PhysX driver.

    See if that gets rid of the problem.
    Thanks Ztruker,

    I have done the steps to remove the Nvidia drivers and reinstalled only the Graphics and PhysX ones back on. I'll see if that helps. It might take a few days for me to be sure it won't freeze again. I will post back in a few days or sooner if it does.

    Cheers,
    lrw
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 6,275
    Windows 10 Pro X64 17134.191
       03 Mar 2018 #4

    What about removing the ASUS AI Suite II?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    03 Mar 2018 #5

    Ztruker said: View Post
    What about removing the ASUS AI Suite II?
    I forgot ... but now I don't see it running or any uninstaller for it in Control Panel. Is there a manual method to remove it?

    Thanks,
    lrw
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 6,275
    Windows 10 Pro X64 17134.191
       04 Mar 2018 #6

    See here: How to uninstall Ai Suite III manually

    See if that helps get rid of it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    04 Mar 2018 #7

    Ztruker said: View Post
    See here: How to uninstall Ai Suite III manually

    See if that helps get rid of it.
    You're the best, Rich! Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

    lrw
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    04 Mar 2018 #8

    Ztruker said: View Post
    See here: How to uninstall Ai Suite III manually

    See if that helps get rid of it.
    I'm not seeing any of the processes that are supposed to be ended in task manager. I did see USB 3.0 Boost Service but not the .exe that is in that linked solution.

    I did stop the asComSvc service. Attempting to delete the C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\ASUS\ ran into a few locked file issues but used lock hunter to track them down and deleted / stopped a couple more services related to AI Suite and as able to clear the folders. Also cleared out C:\ProgramData\ASUS directory.

    I could not find the cleaner.exe and it mentioned in the forum that it has be gone for a few years. I did not attempt ccleaner. I also did not reinstall AI3. I'm not sure if it is needed - is it?

    Will reboot after I post this. Hope I'm back

    lrw
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 6,275
    Windows 10 Pro X64 17134.191
       05 Mar 2018 #9

    Hoping that makes a difference.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    06 Mar 2018 #10

    Ztruker said: View Post
    Hoping that makes a difference.
    I thought it was OK for a while but it didn't last two days. Froze again and had to hard boot. Should I collect new logs?

    lrw
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Read more: In a throwback to the '90s, NTFS bug lets anyone hang or crash Windows 7, 8.1 | Ars Technica
I have a 2TB disk in USB 2 housing which I formatted on my desktop computer as an NTFS volume. It is still recognised by this machine as an NTFS volume even when I plugged it in just now. However on my laptop it is just seen as a raw volume. I...
NTFS vs. ExFAT for external SSD in Performance & Maintenance
Hi, I have a new SSD Drive (128GB) and I was experiencing some poor performance. I read in another older thread about it and I want to post here my findings. Windows has a very good utility to check performance of Drives : Elevated Comand Prompt...
Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS? in Drivers and Hardware
My toshiba 1tb external hard drive currently says it is a raw file system and i cant seem to format it no matter what i do. I dont care for what is inside (only one word file) but i just want to be able to use it again. Is there anyway i can format...
Random Crash/Freeze on Build 10130 in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hello everyone. I have been running the Windows 10 preview for the last few months and other than a driver issue here or there, did not experience any real problems. However, with the last update to build 10130, I have been experiencing a random...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05.
Find Us