Windows 10: Firefox Update Leaves old version on system

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    11 Oct 2017 #1

    Firefox Update Leaves old version on system


    After Firefox updates to a new version, when I go into Revo uninstaller it lists both the old and new versions as installed.
    I then have to uninstall the old version -- which deletes both versions -- and reinstall the last version.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    11 Oct 2017 #2

    What version are you speaking of as Fx 57 and Fx 58 share the same profile?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    11 Oct 2017 #3

    I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

    I go into Firefox and check for updates. It prompts me to upgrade. I upgrade and reboot browser. When I go into uninstaller it shows both versions installed e.g. the latest 56.0.1 AND the previous 55. This has happened with every update.

    If 55 is upgraded to 56, only 56 should show as installed. There should be only one profile and besides, profiles should not affect what the uninstaller shows -- it shows the version of installed programs, not profiles.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    11 Oct 2017 #4

    oao said: View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

    I go into Firefox and check for updates. It prompts me to upgrade. I upgrade and reboot browser. When I go into uninstaller it shows both versions installed e.g. the latest 56.0.1 AND the previous 55. This has happened with every update.

    If 55 is upgraded to 56, only 56 should show as installed. There should be only one profile and besides, profiles should not affect what the uninstaller shows -- it shows the version of installed programs, not profiles.
    That is one reason I do not upgrade Firefox. When a new release comes out I delete the old one in add/remove programs which does not remove the Profile. I then download the new Firefox release and Install it. I have never had a problem. Revo is not good to use on Firefox as it will remove everything if you let it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    11 Oct 2017 #5

    I sort of inferred this but I wanted it confirmed.

    The other thing I discovered is that the std installer since 55 does no longer allow custom install, so custom installer must be downloaded from another page.

    Sware companies have a particular talent for hassling users for no obvious reasons.

    Thanx.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    11 Oct 2017 #6

    oao said: View Post
    I sort of inferred this but I wanted it confirmed.

    The other thing I discovered is that the std installer since 55 does no longer allow custom install, so custom installer must be downloaded from another page.

    Sware companies have a particular talent for hassling users for no obvious reasons.

    Thanx.
    Mozilla has had a rough few years and they are trying to make a comeback with Fx 57 and Fx 58. No custom install, When 57 goes final in November any Legacy extension will stop working. They do not want users messing up their Product and then Mozilla gets all the flak for it. I have used both of the above and both are better than any prior release. Fx 56 and past releases are garbage.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    11 Oct 2017 #7

    Sorry, but that's just excuses: software is not developed for the convenience and security of developers, but users. Users need stability. There is so much that should be messed around with as a cost of improvements -- if it's too much, then the improvements are not worth it. This is, for example, what MS has done with Win10 and the result is clear: people stick to Win7 and MS had to resort to coercion to move them away.

    There is absolutely no justification for forcing install drive on users -- NONE, period.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    15 Oct 2017 #8

    Josey Wales said: View Post
    Mozilla has had a rough few years and they are trying to make a comeback with Fx 57 and Fx 58. No custom install, When 57 goes final in November any Legacy extension will stop working. They do not want users messing up their Product and then Mozilla gets all the flak for it. I have used both of the above and both are better than any prior release. Fx 56 and past releases are garbage.
    Are you using the nightly build......I dumped FF a while back but am interested in the upcoming release of version 57........thinking about giving it a try before the release so looking for some recommendations from you.....

    Thanks in advance
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    15 Oct 2017 #9

    kipper said: View Post
    Are you using the nightly build......I dumped FF a while back but am interested in the upcoming release of version 57........thinking about giving it a try before the release so looking for some recommendations from you.....

    Thanks in advance
    Yes I am and Fx 57 Beta 9 may be out later today.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    15 Oct 2017 #10

    Josey Wales said: View Post
    Yes I am and Fx 57 Beta 9 may be out later today.
    So your recommendations are to go with the Beta and shy away from the nightly and developer at this time......
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
My system fails when doing "Feature Update For W10 Version 1703". It says "You can't install windows on a USB Flash Drive During Setup". I am not trying to instally on a Flash Drive. I had an external harddrive and a printer in USB ports, but...
My wife's machine works fine. And it shuts fine. But after the last update KB3176938 there is a "not shut properly" message in the event viewer. On my own machine there is a new wrinkle too: previously when I shut down I could bring the...
1511 update leaves a windows.old folder! in Windows Updates and Activation
Just to point out that I found a windows.old folder on both my PCs after the '1511' update. I wasn't expecting that!
So we now have got a new stable channel for Firefox thats v41.0. I wanted to know what all tweaks could be done to this version Firefox to achieve best performance in Firefox. I ask this because many of the old tweaks and parameters are...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25.
Find Us