Windows 10: Firefox Update Leaves old version on system

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    15 Oct 2017 #11

    oao said: View Post
    Sorry, but that's just excuses: software is not developed for the convenience and security of developers, but users. Users need stability. There is so much that should be messed around with as a cost of improvements -- if it's too much, then the improvements are not worth it. This is, for example, what MS has done with Win10 and the result is clear: people stick to Win7 and MS had to resort to coercion to move them away.

    There is absolutely no justification for forcing install drive on users -- NONE, period.
    Life is full of choices If you do not like Firefox don't use it, Mozilla is doing what they are doing to make a better browser. The fact that Firefox used to crash often was do to poorly written extensions so Mozilla is forcing the Devs to fix them or they will be gone when Firefox 57 becomes final in November.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    15 Oct 2017 #12

    kipper said: View Post
    So your recommendations are to go with the Beta and shy away from the nightly and developer at this time......
    Like I said I am using the Nightly build, they share the same profile so if you want you can install both of them and not have to worry like in the past.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    15 Oct 2017 #13

    Josey Wales said: View Post
    Life is full of choices If you do not like Firefox don't use it, Mozilla is doing what they are doing to make a better browser. The fact that Firefox used to crash often was do to poorly written extensions so Mozilla is forcing the Devs to fix them or they will be gone when Firefox 57 becomes final in November.
    It's not "full" of choices, in fact almost everything is a monopoly or oligopoly these days due to elimination of protection against concentration of power. And those monopolies are malevolent and exploitative.

    What choice do you have in browsers? Chrome is a spying tool by Google, MS IE is weak on security, MS Edge requires acceptance of the constantly changing and spying Win10 and Opera requires customization for which I have neither time, nor need.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    15 Oct 2017 #14

    oao said: View Post
    It's not "full" of choices, in fact almost everything is a monopoly or oligopoly these days due to elimination of protection against concentration of power. And those monopolies are malevolent and exploitative.

    What choice do you have in browsers? Chrome is a spying tool by Google, MS IE is weak on security, MS Edge requires acceptance of the constantly changing and spying Win10 and Opera requires customization for which I have neither time, nor need.
    You have a choice to use a VPN, but what I am saying is that The new version of Firefox is far superior than any prior release you also had a choice whether to upgrade to Win 10 or not to. You also have a choice to use Linux,

    DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

    The Choice is yours and only yours. MS did not twist your arm to get Windows 10 and there are methods to minimize the spying, MS is not doing it to snoop on you, they use the data to improve their product. Chrome , I cannot speak to as I only used it for 5 minutes. When I saw that there were chrome processes running after I exited chrome and restarted my PC I removed it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    15 Oct 2017 #15

    Josey Wales said: View Post
    You have a choice to use a VPN, but what I am saying is that The new version of Firefox is far superior than any prior release you also had a choice whether to upgrade to Win 10 or not to. You also have a choice to use Linux,

    DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

    The Choice is yours and only yours. MS did not twist your arm to get Windows 10 and there are methods to minimize the spying, MS is not doing it to snoop on you, they use the data to improve their product. Chrome , I cannot speak to as I only used it for 5 minutes. When I saw that there were chrome processes running after I exited chrome and restarted my PC I removed it.
    We don't need CONSTANT improvements, we need stability. That's why it's important to give a lot of thought to design before development, which is precisely what sware vendors don't do.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    15 Oct 2017 #16

    oao said: View Post
    We don't need CONSTANT improvements, we need stability. That's why it's important to give a lot of thought to design before development, which is precisely what sware vendors don't do.
    Stability comes with improvements/
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    15 Oct 2017 #17

    Josey Wales said: View Post
    Stability comes with improvements/
    If stability REQUIRES improvements, it is not stability.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    15 Oct 2017 #18

    oao said: View Post
    If stability REQUIRES improvements, it is not stability.
    Not with the release you are using. Try Firefox 57 it is stable . But do what you want , I have used Firefox since it first came out as Phoenix-I do know a little about it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    15 Oct 2017 #19

    Been on FF 57 for the past several hours and I do find it to be a major improvement, very stable and the add-ons I use are working just fine with it.......Thanks for the recommendation Josey.......
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    15 Oct 2017 #20

    kipper said: View Post
    Been on FF 57 for the past several hours and I do find it to be a major improvement, very stable and the add-ons I use are working just fine with it.......Thanks for the recommendation Josey.......
    Glad it is working for you
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
My system fails when doing "Feature Update For W10 Version 1703". It says "You can't install windows on a USB Flash Drive During Setup". I am not trying to instally on a Flash Drive. I had an external harddrive and a printer in USB ports, but...
My wife's machine works fine. And it shuts fine. But after the last update KB3176938 there is a "not shut properly" message in the event viewer. On my own machine there is a new wrinkle too: previously when I shut down I could bring the...
1511 update leaves a windows.old folder! in Windows Updates and Activation
Just to point out that I found a windows.old folder on both my PCs after the '1511' update. I wasn't expecting that!
So we now have got a new stable channel for Firefox thats v41.0. I wanted to know what all tweaks could be done to this version Firefox to achieve best performance in Firefox. I ask this because many of the old tweaks and parameters are...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06.
Find Us