Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1.    12 Oct 2017 #41
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 240
    Windows 10 pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Not Myself View Post
    What "all the default extensions" are you writing about?
    Activity stream, click-to-play staged rollout, firefox screenshots, follow-on search telemetry, form autofill, multi-process staged rollout, photon onboarding, pocket, web compat, openh264 video codec and shield recipe client (there is two shield recipe clients but one of them won't be disabled for some reason). There is also one default extension by google which apparently doesn't have a name.


    Quote Originally Posted by Not Myself View Post
    There should be very few to none with a new Fx profile.
    Firefox comes spring loaded with extensions, and most of them doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than slowing firefox.



    Quote Originally Posted by Not Myself View Post
    If you are getting much more than that, it is yet another example of my statement that I think you have multiple problems, and need to do some serious cleaning of your computer.
    Well they come build in with firefox, so they will be there even if you reinstall windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    12 Oct 2017 #42
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 283
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerawy View Post
    Activity stream, click-to-play staged rollout, firefox screenshots, follow-on search telemetry, form autofill, multi-process staged rollout, photon onboarding, pocket, web compat, openh264 video codec and shield recipe client (there is two shield recipe clients but one of them won't be disabled for some reason). There is also one default extension by google which apparently doesn't have a name.




    Firefox comes spring loaded with extensions, and most of them doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than slowing firefox.





    Well they come build in with firefox, so they will be there even if you reinstall windows.
    Activity stream is not an extension; it is a replacement for New Tab Page. I had to look it up, having no idea what it might be. Similarly, Screenshots is not an extension; as with Activity, it is an operating part, to coin a name for it, of Fx. Same goes for Pocket. I have no idea if any of these slows down Fx, as I disable them. In fact, most of the items you cite are not extensions; if they were, they would appear in the Add-on Manager. That is why they are found/disabled in other locations; Pocket, for example, is found on a toolbar and/or in a menu, and is disabled through clicking on that and choosing the desired action. (I disable Pocket through Classic Theme Restorer, which is why I have never seen it; CTR will not work in Fx 57, and I don't know if a CSS replacement for that option has yet been created.)

    Shield Client is the one whose name I could not remember; why I did not get it when I updated to v 56.0, I have no idea. The first encounter was in the profile I created a while ago to check for built-in extensions. That you have two copies, one of which can not be removed, is puzzling and/or concerning, but I can offer no assistance with that.

    I could argue with your assertion that these parts of Fx, whatever their proper generic name is, serve no purpose, but I have no desire to enter into a discussion of this, partially as I don't use some of them, so have no idea of what purpose they might serve. I only know that Fx users do use such things as Pocket; I only know that through seeing forum threads about such whatever they are.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    12 Oct 2017 #43
    Join Date : Jul 2017
    Posts : 192
    Windows 10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerawy View Post
    Activity stream, click-to-play staged rollout, firefox screenshots, follow-on search telemetry, form autofill, multi-process staged rollout, photon onboarding, pocket, web compat, openh264 video codec and shield recipe client (there is two shield recipe clients but one of them won't be disabled for some reason). There is also one default extension by google which apparently doesn't have a name.
    You can get rid of both plugins that come with the new profile by toggling "media.gmp-provider.enabled" to false in about:config . I have been doing it for years, it has never caused an issue.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sin título2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	157715

    Under Extensions, I see one being installed with a new profile. Its something new, never seen it before. I play with profiles every week, last time I created one that extension was not there. But is easy to get rid of it. Click Remove.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sin título.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	157717

    Bo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    14 Oct 2017 #44
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 240
    Windows 10 pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Not Myself View Post
    Activity stream is not an extension; it is a replacement for New Tab Page. I had to look it up, having no idea what it might be. Similarly, Screenshots is not an extension; as with Activity, it is an operating part, to coin a name for it, of Fx. Same goes for Pocket.
    Well ccleaner lists them as extensions, but i think the right word for them is system addons. Maybe some of them are plugins.

    Quote Originally Posted by bo elam View Post
    You can get rid of both plugins that come with the new profile by toggling "media.gmp-provider.enabled" to false in about:config . I have been doing it for years, it has never caused an issue.
    Thats true, but firefox comes loaded with system addons that you cant disable with firefox, so you have to use a third party program to disable them. They dont seem to serve much of a purpose, for example i did a research on the shield recipe client and it seems that it collects data from your browser and sends it to mozilla, which is not something i want.

    P.S is anyone else having problems with the minimum font size feature? I have set it to 16, and some websites seems to have fairly small letters, some websites seems to have pretty big letters and some websites seems to get it just about right.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    14 Oct 2017 #45
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 283
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerawy View Post
    Well ccleaner lists them as extensions, but i think the right word for them is system addons. Maybe some of them are plugins.
    If they are plugins, they will be listed on the plugins page.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerawy View Post
    Thats true, but firefox comes loaded with system addons that you cant disable with firefox, so you have to use a third party program to disable them. They dont seem to serve much of a purpose, for example i did a research on the shield recipe client and it seems that it collects data from your browser and sends it to mozilla, which is not something i want.
    There is a purpose for the shield, but not for users; it is strictly a method of obtaining user data for Mozilla; this is not at all uncommon. I don't happen to want it, either, so simply deleted the only copy in my newest Fx profile.

    Take a look at Options/Privacy & Security, where there are other, similar, entries. Incidentally, our of curiosity, I did check to see if "Do not disturb me" does get reset each time Fx is restarted; it does, and I have no idea why that should be. I was not aware of this, as a setting in Classic Theme Restorer is what prevents me from being pestered by the related popups; I hope that one of the CSS settings being found to replace CRT settings is for this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerawy View Post
    P.S is anyone else having problems with the minimum font size feature? I have set it to 16, and some websites seems to have fairly small letters, some websites seems to have pretty big letters and some websites seems to get it just about right.
    I have one web site that, unless I set the minimum font size to no larger than 13, and allow sites to use their own fonts, has a number of pages where the left-hand column overrides part of the left edge of the right-hand column. I have notified the company, and even sent them a link to the HTML checker for their home page. There are many errors on that page; I did not even bother to see if I could find any of them that might be causing the display fault.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    14 Oct 2017 #46
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 240
    Windows 10 pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Perhaps Firefox is not shutting down properly.
    You could try resetting Firefox.
    Alternatively, you could try 3 about:config settings:

    browser.sessionhistory.max_entries set to 0

    browser.sessionstore.max_resumed_crashes set to 0

    browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash set to false

    Play around with them, see if it helps.
    I did some testing on this. I couldn't find a way to provoke the problem, it seems like it happens randomly when firefox shuts down unexpectingly or crashes. So i clicked ctrl + alt + delete and closed firefox and reopened it again. This seems to provoke the problems with old sessions being restored without your permission. Sometimes it also creates a message with a list of previously visited websites. Setting browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false seems to solve this.

    I should problably also mention that browser.sessionhistory.max_entries is used to browse back and forth through some of the websites that you have previously visited, so you should problably leave it to the default setting.
    Last edited by Cerawy; 14 Oct 2017 at 16:42.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    14 Oct 2017 #47
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 283
    Windows 10

    From the mozillaZine database: "Starting in Firefox 3.5, Firefox automatically restores your previous session after one crash (or unexpected close). If Firefox crashes a second time, a "Restore Session" error page is displayed, asking whether to restore the last session or start a new session. If you do not want Firefox to automatically restore your session after one crash, set the preference browser.sessionstore.max_resumed_crashes to 0 (default is 1)." What you are seeing after a crash is the expected behavior, although it ought not to be intermittent.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    14 Oct 2017 #48
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,360
    Windows 10 Professional

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerawy View Post
    ......Well ccleaner lists them as extensions, but i think the right word for them is system addons. Maybe some of them are plugins.
    Features, actually:
    (you can disable some of them in about:config)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000060.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	158140
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    14 Oct 2017 #49
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 240
    Windows 10 pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Features, actually:
    (you can disable some of them in about:config)
    What type of font are you using and how did you get access to that list?

    Quote Originally Posted by Not Myself View Post
    From the mozillaZine database: "Starting in Firefox 3.5, Firefox automatically restores your previous session after one crash (or unexpected close). If Firefox crashes a second time, a "Restore Session" error page is displayed, asking whether to restore the last session or start a new session. If you do not want Firefox to automatically restore your session after one crash, set the preference browser.sessionstore.max_resumed_crashes to 0 (default is 1)." What you are seeing after a crash is the expected behavior, although it ought not to be intermittent.
    It's already solved, see post #46.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    14 Oct 2017 #50
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,360
    Windows 10 Professional

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerawy View Post
    What type of font are you using and how did you get access to that list?
    Font: 'Righteous Regular'
    List: Firefox Menu/Help/Troubleshooting Information/Firefox Features
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Problems posting on Facebook with Firefox.
I'd stopped using Firefox on my laptop for several month's due to multiple issues. However, yesterday I opened FF and everything was working fine. I started posting on FB and everything worked perfectly, then one of my posts just disappeared (the...
Browsers and Email
Solved Problems adding files to Firefox folders
I recently made MS Edge my default browser due to multiple problems w/Firefox. I've added new files since this occurred but for the last couple of days I haven't been able to add files (websites, etc.) to my Firefox folders. It seems to me that I...
Browsers and Email
Multiple problems with Firefox
I've had to change my default browser to MS Edge due to multiple problems. I think one of the major problems is that my cookies are disabled and I can't find a way to enable them. I have instructions that say go to menu bar and click...
Browsers and Email
Solved Latest Win10 upgrade caused problems with Firefox, Chrome, and Edge
Windows 10 Home 10.0.14393 Build 14393 was installed last week. Since then I have had problems with Firefox, Chrome, and Edge. Firefox will not display visuals on some web pages. Chrome is very slow and will not allow me to import from Firefox....
Browsers and Email
Solved W10 opens seperate tab for firefox when opening with main firefox icon
Hello, lately I've been having an issue where Windows will open a separate tab for Firefox when i open it with the original pinned icon on my task bar.. I've tried opening firefox and unpinning the pinned shortcut and pinning the opened one and...
Browsers and Email
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums