Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 27
    Windows 7
       19 Jul 2015 #1

    Wld U try to create folders, subfolders in Mail app; tell me if works?


    Would someone who has Windows 10 please try to create some folders and subfolders in Mail App and tell me if it works?

    Also, I read that Mail app does not "read" any emails with a .eml extension. In your experience, is this true? If it is true, how do you keep and be able to read your emails that end with .eml?

    Thanking you in advance!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,967
    All kinds
       20 Jul 2015 #2

    Sorry, could not find a way, there's just no option for that anywhere. Sent a suggestion to feedback.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 27
    Windows 7
       20 Jul 2015 #3

    Mike thank you!!! You just saved me from a disaster. Unless someone can find a way to install Windows Mail (not live mail) on Windows 10, then, I won't be updating. I have probably 50 folders and subfolders in Windows Mail where I store things under different topics. I can't even imagine what life would be like without that ability. The forums I moderate, the work topics I have to save - all would be one huge impossible jumble. I get about 100 messages a day; about 2/3rds are deleted but the rest must be saved in one folder or another.

    What a shame! I did try WLM but its "ribbon" features drove me crazy and after 3 months of trying to work it and like it, I went back to Windows Mail from Vista, tweaked to work on Windows 7.

    I still do wonder if Mail app can even read any messages with a .eml extension!

    Kelliann
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,967
    All kinds
       20 Jul 2015 #4

    Ok, here it is as it's on my computer. I have 10 in dual boot with W8.1 on another disk on which I have office installed. First time after opening Mail App, it found all of may mail on hotmail.com account. Now I'm not sure if it picked that mail up from hotmail server or from disk. On that other disk I also have same mail files downloaded by MS Outlook, all with *.eml extension. I tried to open some of them but in Mail App there's no way to pick individual files. When I tried to open those files using "Open with" option, Mail App was not an option. Looking at the Store it gave me one App to open .eml file but contents were all scrambled. So I guess that Win 10 does not have anything to open that kind of file and will have to find a third party e-mail client.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       20 Jul 2015 #5

    Folders:
    I know I created folders in an earlier build. That was when setting up Outlook Mail (mail app) was straight forward. On a subsequent build the setup got confusing and I had to add the account as an exchange type. Now the setup seems better and offers Outlook.com as a setup option, but my setting is still for Exchange - that's an entirely different story.

    In this iteration I was unable to add a folder in the mail client, but going to Outlook.com I could add a floder and it was sync'd down to the client. Convoluted way of doing it, but it can be done.

    I suppose it depends on the protocol (POP3, IMAP, Exchnage) used when you set up the account. POP3 should allow you to create folders on the local client without any of the intuitive shenanigans.

    As kelliann said, I'll most likely use a real mail client - not this watered down Mail app.

    I used weMail ((WLM) in Win8 - it took a while to get past some things, but the Quick Acceess Toolbar and a few other personalizations made it usable. I actually like it and will miss it because it will not install on Win10 unless you turn on .NET 3.5 in features. Sheesh! You'd think MS would keep their install dependencies up-to-date ... unless they want you to use the newest offering - which is usually usuable for the first year or two.
    Filetype dotEML:
    I could not find anything on the filetype .eml - I have the Office preview installed, so associate filetypes points to Outlook (the real one, not the so-called named app).

    I tried open with but I cannot get to the mail app due to security access.

    Task managers tells me that the exe for Outlook Mail is:
    C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6017.42001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\HxMail.exe

    I changed the owner of the folder to System, but still was 'locked' out. There must be some protection in the registry or perhaps in policy.

    I probably won't dig any deeper - hopefully there's enough info if anyone wants to look further.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 27
    Windows 7
       20 Jul 2015 #6

    Mike -
    Thank you for trying! I can't understand why MS thinks people have no need for a good full featured email client on their computers. Especially small business people. Even Apple Mail is better than this washed out Mail app!!

    Kelliann



    CountMike said: View Post
    Ok, here it is as it's on my computer. I have 10 in dual boot with W8.1 on another disk on which I have office installed. First time after opening Mail App, it found all of may mail on hotmail.com account. Now I'm not sure if it picked that mail up from hotmail server or from disk. On that other disk I also have same mail files downloaded by MS Outlook, all with *.eml extension. I tried to open some of them but in Mail App there's no way to pick individual files. When I tried to open those files using "Open with" option, Mail App was not an option. Looking at the Store it gave me one App to open .eml file but contents were all scrambled. So I guess that Win 10 does not have anything to open that kind of file and will have to find a third party e-mail client.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 27
    Windows 7
       20 Jul 2015 #7

    Slartybart - thank you for this information. I will hope that someone who understands all this better than I do will work on it. Now I have at least a little hope that MS will eventually allow folders. I wonder what they think people are supposed to do who have the Windows Mail client on their computers (or even Outlook Expres).... just lose all those emails?

    When I got Windows 7, I found a program somewhere that lets you "take ownership" of any folder on the tree. Of course now I don't recall its name. But it has been invaluable.

    I've never used webmail. I have it, can use it if I am out somewhere using someone else's computer to check mail, but, I only use Windows Mail on my own computer.

    I am so sorry about all of this - I didn't want Windows 8 but I was ready to try Windows 10. Now - I guess it will be 7 forever unless I can find something like windows Mail. I tried Thunderbird once but didn't care for it that much. Someone in some thread suggested emMAIL (I think that is the right name so I will be taking a look at that. But I have thousands upon thousands of messages stored in Windows Mail and I need to be able to refer to them - that is the concernng part. I know people way WM and OE were "unstable" but I have never ever had a problem with them, probably because when a folder reaches between 4,000 and 5,000 messages, I move them to another folder labeled "old xxx" with the dates it spans. But I also back up.

    I appreciate everything you've done and the time you took to check it out.

    Kelliann




    Slartybart said: View Post
    Folders:
    I know I created folders in an earlier build. That was when setting up Outlook Mail (mail app) was straight forward. On a subsequent build the setup got confusing and I had to add the account as an exchange type. Now the setup seems better and offers Outlook.com as a setup option, but my setting is still for Exchange - that's an entirely different story.

    In this iteration I was unable to add a folder in the mail client, but going to Outlook.com I could add a floder and it was sync'd down to the client. Convoluted way of doing it, but it can be done.

    I suppose it depends on the protocol (POP3, IMAP, Exchnage) used when you set up the account. POP3 should allow you to create folders on the local client without any of the intuitive shenanigans.

    As kelliann said, I'll most likely use a real mail client - not this watered down Mail app.

    I used weMail ((WLM) in Win8 - it took a while to get past some things, but the Quick Acceess Toolbar and a few other personalizations made it usable. I actually like it and will miss it because it will not install on Win10 unless you turn on .NET 3.5 in features. Sheesh! You'd think MS would keep their install dependencies up-to-date ... unless they want you to use the newest offering - which is usually usuable for the first year or two.
    Filetype dotEML:
    I could not find anything on the filetype .eml - I have the Office preview installed, so associate filetypes points to Outlook (the real one, not the so-called named app).

    I tried open with but I cannot get to the mail app due to security access.

    Task managers tells me that the exe for Outlook Mail is:
    C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6017.42001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\HxMail.exe

    I changed the owner of the folder to System, but still was 'locked' out. There must be some protection in the registry or perhaps in policy.

    I probably won't dig any deeper - hopefully there's enough info if anyone wants to look further.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2013
    Texas
    Posts : 7,532
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       20 Jul 2015 #8

    kelliann said: View Post
    Mike thank you!!! You just saved me from a disaster. Unless someone can find a way to install Windows Mail (not live mail) on Windows 10, then, I won't be updating. I have probably 50 folders and subfolders in Windows Mail where I store things under different topics. I can't even imagine what life would be like without that ability. The forums I moderate, the work topics I have to save - all would be one huge impossible jumble. I get about 100 messages a day; about 2/3rds are deleted but the rest must be saved in one folder or another.

    What a shame! I did try WLM but its "ribbon" features drove me crazy and after 3 months of trying to work it and like it, I went back to Windows Mail from Vista, tweaked to work on Windows 7.

    I still do wonder if Mail app can even read any messages with a .eml extension!

    Kelliann
    Have a look here, it may help you.

    How to use Winmail on Windows 8.

    2015 Revised
    Instructions how to install WinMail to Windows 8 or 10:
    ~ install Brinks Take Ownership.reg Here
    ~ Then right click on your W8 'Program Files/Windows Mail' folder, and click Take Ownership.
    ~ Then right click on your W8 'Program Files/Windows Mail' folder, and Delete it.
    ~ Then copy/paste your saved *working* Windows 7 'Windows Mail' folder to Windows 8 same.
    ~ Create a shortcut from the WinMail.exe you just copied - to the Desktop.
    ~ copy/paste your Windows 7 C:\Windows\System32\msidcrl30.dll file over to Windows 8 same.
    ~ Download the WinMailEdit.reg (supplied at the bottom of this post) ..and merge it (x86/x64)
    ~ Then you are done..
    ~ Start WinMail and she opens immediately..
    ...from here you setup the Windows Mail client as normal...

    Anyway, within minutes I had WinMail start up instantly in each of these OS's below.
    Here's the first run screenshots back on Win 8 beta CP, to Win 8.1, to all Windows 10 Preview versions so far.
    Screenshots of WinMail on Win8 beta CP to Win 8.1 & Win10 Preview 9841, 10041, 10162, 10240
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,967
    All kinds
       21 Jul 2015 #9

    I was intrigued by that problem because I didn't transfer MS Office 2013 to W10 yet. I use Outlook for main mail client in parallel with live mail to keep mail I need to be saved. I expected Mail App in W10 to be something like Outlook Express in XP which was a very good client, simple and fast.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 27
    Windows 7
       28 Jul 2015 #10

    Dude,
    I am sorry I did not respond sooner but it wasn't from lack of interest, there were just some other things happening that took me away from this. Thank you for this information, and I went to the 8 forum and saw the information there. Getting it to work on 8 and 10 seems to be a little different than doing it for 7 but I think I can manage. Does the same method that you used work on the latest build of 10? Someone said they got it to work on an earlier build but not a later one. Thank you very much!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
create folders in start menu to organize
In W7 I have created folders in the start menu so I can organize by topic. I can't figure out if/how to do that in W10. Any clues?
Customization
how to create sub-folders in the start menu
I would like to organize my All Apps portion of the start menu in W10 as I did in W7. So far I have not figured out how to do this. There are a couple of problems. 1. Some programs just do not appear. I have one folder containing 3 shtcts. 2...
General Support
How to create folders for mail
I have this same question. I want one inbox for all 8 of my email accounts. I want a single sent folder and single trash folder for all accounts. And, I want to be able to create my own folders below the bottom fixed folder (sent or trash or junk or...
Browsers and Email
Mail App adding folders
Can you create folders in the Mail App? Thanks
Browsers and Email
Mail app Favorites - Add or Remove Folders in Windows 10
How to Add or Remove Folders from Favorites in Mail app in Windows 10 Windows 10 comes with a new Mail app. The new Mail app brings improved performance and a familiar three-pane email UI, with a toggle to quickly move between your email and...
Tutorials
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums