Having issues removing Chrome before reinstalling.


  1. Posts : 166
    Windows 10
       #1

    Having issues removing Chrome before reinstalling.


    I work from home doing all sorts of odd job contracts. I have one I'm about to being that requires me to use Chrome with no 3rd party extensions. Since I have added many extensions to Chrome, I thought it best to just uninstall then reinstall. When I tried doing this via add and remove programs in Windows 10, I was caught in a loop of it asking permission to change my system, then chrome would open, windows would say please close all running copies of chrome, which of course I would, before starting this whole process over again. Suggestions on how I can remove then reinstall Chrome ASAP! I'm loosing money while this isn't working right!
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 124,576
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.739
       #2

    jayv2251 said:
    I work from home doing all sorts of odd job contracts. I have one I'm about to being that requires me to use Chrome with no 3rd party extensions. Since I have added many extensions to Chrome, I thought it best to just uninstall then reinstall. When I tried doing this via add and remove programs in Windows 10, I was caught in a loop of it asking permission to change my system, then chrome would open, windows would say please close all running copies of chrome, which of course I would, before starting this whole process over again. Suggestions on how I can remove then reinstall Chrome ASAP! I'm loosing money while this isn't working right!
    You could try using Revo Uninstaller Free version. I have the Pro version myself
    Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 486
    Windows 10x64 17713
       #3

    Check your task manager to make sure no instances of Chrome continue to run in the background and kill them if necessary.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 166
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    That's what I thought too cyberrufus. Wasn't any instance of it running, until I acknowledged that the uninstall program would be modifying my desktop components or something to that degree. As soon as I check that off, it "opens" Chrome, as I can see a line appear below it in the tool bar. At first I thought it was acting like some other programs I've uninstalled before. They want feedback as to why you're uninstalling it. So I miniumized the add and remove windows to see if I can look at a chrome windows, but there is none, yet it says it's open. I also noticed a (2) after the word Chrome, which usually indicates two copies open, but there were no windows for either copy.

    I'm very leery on using free software. I've been burned so many times by programs I've downloaded from Tucows or Cnet, whom both use to be much more reputable. Free meant free...Not free with a dozen or more malware or spyware programs buried inside your program. Guess the phrase, "you get what you pay for applies here". I'm starting a new work at home business and I don't have the capital to buy everything I need right away. Worst case scenario is I will get the revo uninstaller that was recommended above by OldMike. Just curious, doesn't CCleaner come with an uninstall option?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 486
    Windows 10x64 17713
       #5

    Might try running --uninstall as a command line argument on chrome.exe. May also want to reboot your computer. That often seems to solve some inexplicable problems.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 166
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    I had to do a bit of digging through Google of course. It seems even if you are not running or have Chrome open, during the boot process all the background extensions for Chrome load. I forgot to save the link, so as to share here. But this one site recommended going to Task Manager and looking at the background processes. And sure enough I had like 9 extensions running without actually having Chrome open! Once I closed all those via Task Manager, I was able to run the uninstall as usual with no issue.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 124,576
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.739
       #7

    jayv2251 said:
    That's what I thought too cyberrufus. Wasn't any instance of it running, until I acknowledged that the uninstall program would be modifying my desktop components or something to that degree. As soon as I check that off, it "opens" Chrome, as I can see a line appear below it in the tool bar. At first I thought it was acting like some other programs I've uninstalled before. They want feedback as to why you're uninstalling it. So I miniumized the add and remove windows to see if I can look at a chrome windows, but there is none, yet it says it's open. I also noticed a (2) after the word Chrome, which usually indicates two copies open, but there were no windows for either copy.

    I'm very leery on using free software. I've been burned so many times by programs I've downloaded from Tucows or Cnet, whom both use to be much more reputable. Free meant free...Not free with a dozen or more malware or spyware programs buried inside your program. Guess the phrase, "you get what you pay for applies here". I'm starting a new work at home business and I don't have the capital to buy everything I need right away. Worst case scenario is I will get the revo uninstaller that was recommended above by OldMike. Just curious, doesn't CCleaner come with an uninstall option?
    Downloading anything from Cnet, I would NEVER advise. The link I gave you is from the Makers of Revo uninstaller. Their are safe sites to download programs, and sites you should never use.
    Ccleaner does also uninstall apps from your computer, it just uses Windows uninstall options. Revo does a much better job.
    Your choice of course.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 124,576
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.739
       #8

    jayv2251 said:
    I had to do a bit of digging through Google of course. It seems even if you are not running or have Chrome open, during the boot process all the background extensions for Chrome load. I forgot to save the link, so as to share here. But this one site recommended going to Task Manager and looking at the background processes. And sure enough I had like 9 extensions running without actually having Chrome open! Once I closed all those via Task Manager, I was able to run the uninstall as usual with no issue.
    Glad you solved your issue. :)
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:02.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums