Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    10 Apr 2017 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,475
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    Creators Update - Edge cannot cast media


    Since upgrading to the Creators Update version 1703, build 15063.13 Edge can no longer cast media to a device. The option is still there, but it just searches endlessly for a device without finding one. Even typing the name of the device into the Search box says 'it looks as though we cannot find your device'. This problem exists on both the systems I have upgraded, x86 Pro and x64 Home.

    Casting from File Explorer still works normally.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edge - cannot Cast.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	440.3 KB 
ID:	129344
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    11 Apr 2017 #2
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 2,454
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by Bree View Post
    Since upgrading to the Creators Update version 1703, build 15063.13 Edge can no longer cast media to a device. The option is still there, but it just searches endlessly for a device without finding one. Even typing the name of the device into the Search box says 'it looks as though we cannot find your device'. This problem exists on both the systems I have upgraded, x86 Pro and x64 Home.

    Casting from File Explorer still works normally.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edge - cannot Cast.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	440.3 KB 
ID:	129344
    Have no problem casting media on my Surface Pro 4 using Miracast on Build 1703, Edge works flawlessly as does IE and Chrome.
    It would appear (going by your above post) that your Panasonic Viera series or mobile device do not support Miracast.
    My Panasonic Viera TX Series supports Miracast, by using a plugged in Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    11 Apr 2017 #3
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 2
    W10 Mobile, W10 ENT, W10 Pro, W10 EDU, W2016, W2012, W2008

    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    Have no problem casting media on my Surface Pro 4 using Miracast on Build 1703, Edge works flawlessly as does IE and Chrome.
    It would appear (going by your above post) that your Panasonic Viera series or mobile device do not support Miracast.
    My Panasonic Viera TX Series supports Miracast, by using a plugged in Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.
    Thats the problem!
    Windows/Edge was able to cast video's via cable to another cabled device, Desktop(lan)->TV (lan).
    They did this one version earlier as well, but i believe they than fixed it in 1607, and now its gone again :/
    Really shitty move.
    Cable -> Cable is solid performance.
    WiDI (miracast) does not work properly, even on short distances its really sensative to disturbances thus performance is low as well.

    grtz
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    11 Apr 2017 #4
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 2,454
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzerNL View Post
    Thats the problem!
    Windows/Edge was able to cast video's via cable to another cabled device, Desktop(lan)->TV (lan).
    They did this one version earlier as well, but i believe they than fixed it in 1607, and now its gone again :/
    Really shitty move.
    Cable -> Cable is solid performance.
    WiDI (miracast) does not work properly, even on short distances its really sensative to disturbances thus performance is low as well.

    grtz
    If you wish to cast via cable to another cabled device.....use HDMI to HDMI cable.
    Miracast works perfectly.....have tried it from 20 ft away and is not affected in any way.

    Since your post I have successfully casted both films and YouTube videos from an MSI laptop using HDMI to HDMI cable to a Television.
    If to a TV make sure you connect to HDMI in AV setting....on TV Commander.

    Surface Pro 4 using Miracast but have to switch to AV channel Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter is fitted into on TV.
    As stated in earlier post Edge IE and Chrome all work.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    11 Apr 2017 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,475
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    It would appear (going by your above post) that your Panasonic Viera series or mobile device do not support Miracast.
    My Panasonic Viera TX Series supports Miracast, by using a plugged in Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.
    @dencal, you are missing the point.

    Before upgrading to the Creators Update I didn't need Miracast or any additional hardware - casting from Edge worked without it, just like I could (and still can) cast from File Explorer.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    11 Apr 2017 #6
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 2,454
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by Bree View Post
    @dencal, you are missing the point.

    Before upgrading to the Creators Update I didn't need Miracast or any additional hardware - casting from Edge worked without it, just like I could (and still can) cast from File Explorer.
    You are missing my point....my posts are only how to bypass the problem....nothing whatsoever to do with M$ updates.
    In particular my reply to Blitz.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    11 Apr 2017 #7
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 2
    W10 Mobile, W10 ENT, W10 Pro, W10 EDU, W2016, W2012, W2008

    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    You are missing my point....my posts are only how to bypass the problem....nothing whatsoever to do with M$ updates.
    In particular my reply to Blitz.
    Yes i know how to bypass it, no problem.
    I got 15m hdmi cable if needed but i dont want to run another cable bcs i got network right?
    And i just want to cast the video it self not the whole desktop, video ends, back to tv.
    And ripping the video from the web first is also not what you want.

    I wonder why MS removed it again, is it a bug? Will it be back?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    11 Apr 2017 #8
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,475
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
    Thread Starter

    New cumulative update, but Cast from Edge is still broken....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15063.138.PNG 
Views:	42 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	129512
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    18 Apr 2017 #9
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,475
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
    Thread Starter

    Reverting to a 1607 system image shows what Edge should be capable of - but can no longer do in Creators Update.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edge Castting (1607).png 
Views:	3 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	130719
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    19 Apr 2017 #10
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,475
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
    Thread Starter

    The problem boils down to this: in all versions up to 1607 Edge could Cast to DLNA devices, in 1703 it can now only cast to Miracast devices. This has made a lot of people angry, and has now apparently been reported in the Feedback hub.

    Hi Michael,
    Please feedback this issue and also I will submit the issue in our platform and see if it can be fixed in further updates.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...10itprogeneral
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows Update with Metered connection fails: Creators Update 15063.0
It's dejŠ vu all over again. :doh: The correct behaviour of windows update over a metered connection is to offer the choice to download, or wait until on a non-metered connection. 128460 The initial build of the Anniversary Update broke...
Windows Updates and Activation
Browsers & Email Cast Media to Device from Microsoft Edge in Windows 10
How to Cast Media to Device from Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web. ...
Tutorials
Solved Edge non-responsive after Creators Update
Edge is unresponsive after the Creators Update (opens to blank page, Home button won't work and can't even type anything in address bar). Most hamburger menu items on right work except New Window and Zoom and extensions lost. All previous settings...
Browsers and Email
Windows 10 Creators Update and Creators Update SDK are Released
Source: Windows 10 Creators Update and Creators Update SDK are Released - Building Apps for WindowsBuilding Apps for Windows :arrow: Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703 (build 15063) now available from Windows 10 Update Assistant. ...
Windows 10 News
Can't cast youtube (with edge) and .mkv files to Samsung UHD SmartTV
Hi! I have a problem that I can't seem to solve. I am running windows 10 on my PC and I have a 2015 UHD Samsung TV UE48JU6400. When I try to cast mkv files it just says loading on my tv and a message comes up that says" The selected format is not...
Network and Sharing
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums