1.    06 Apr 2017 #1
    Join Date : Oct 2016
    Posts : 21
    Win 10

    Outlook will not allow login to Googlemail.


    Hi Folks,

    I cannot get Microsoft Outlook on my Win 10 Laptop to login with the details of my gmail account.

    Using: Name, User name, and correct security for SSL and TLS, I keep getting the error message advising me that my Login details have been rejected by the server.

    The annoying part is that my iPhone logs in then downloads and sends any mails no problem.

    The laptop is 'clean' having run the Antivirus program.

    While I have not been able to resolve this issue as I even removed the gmail account from Outlook and tried setting it up again as a new account!
    Still didn't work.

    Can anyone help resolve this please?

    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    06 Apr 2017 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 575
    Win10 & Win7

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveller11 View Post
    Hi Folks,

    I cannot get Microsoft Outlook on my Win 10 Laptop to login with the details of my gmail account.

    Using: Name, User name, and correct security for SSL and TLS, I keep getting the error message advising me that my Login details have been rejected by the server.

    The annoying part is that my iPhone logs in then downloads and sends any mails no problem.

    The laptop is 'clean' having run the Antivirus program.

    While I have not been able to resolve this issue as I even removed the gmail account from Outlook and tried setting it up again as a new account!
    Still didn't work.

    Can anyone help resolve this please?

    Thanks
    Hi Traveller11, I assume that your using the Outlook that comes with Office, right? If so then your regular gmail password will not work. You will need to sign into your Gmail account and generate an "app specific" password to use with Outlook. That's how Gmail works with the IMAP protocol in Outlook. Gmail has a help page that will show you how to do this. The app specific password is buried on one of the pages in your account setup. I had a hard time finding it. The good news is that you only need to do it once. Be sure you record the password in case you ever need to set up Outlook again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    07 Apr 2017 #3
    Join Date : Oct 2016
    Posts : 21
    Win 10
    Thread Starter

    Hi SoFine409.

    Hate too say this but the account is set up as POP.
    My apologies as I forgot to include that in my original post.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    07 Apr 2017 #4
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Manchester, U.K.
    Posts : 549
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit

    If you have set up two-factor authentication on your Gmail account then you'll need an app specific password whether it's pop or imap.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    07 Apr 2017 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 575
    Win10 & Win7

    Quote Originally Posted by Bastet View Post
    If you have set up two-factor authentication on your Gmail account then you'll need an app specific password whether it's pop or imap.
    Good point, I didn't think about that. I set mine up as IMAP so I could manage Gmail from multipole devices. Handy when you go on vacation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    08 Apr 2017 #6
    Join Date : Oct 2016
    Posts : 21
    Win 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Bastet View Post
    If you have set up two-factor authentication on your Gmail account then you'll need an app specific password whether it's pop or imap.
    Sorry to clarify but 2 Factor Authentication is only applicable to Apple Products, it is not required and cannot be used on Widows 10 Laptops that also use Microsoft Office Outlook 2010 as their email program, and tat is what I am using.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    08 Apr 2017 #7
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Manchester, U.K.
    Posts : 549
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveller11 View Post
    Sorry to clarify but 2 Factor Authentication is only applicable to Apple Products, it is not required and cannot be used on Widows 10 Laptops that also use Microsoft Office Outlook 2010 as their email program, and tat is what I am using.
    I apologise, yes Apple use 2 factor authentication, I meant 2 step authentication which I have on my Gmail account as well as my Yahoo account & MS account, whenever I log into any of those accounts on an unknown device I receive a code which I enter onscreen to continue the log in, it's roughly the same principle to secure the account.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    09 Apr 2017 #8
    Join Date : Oct 2016
    Posts : 21
    Win 10
    Thread Starter

    Hello Bastet,

    Thank you,

    One further point that might throw some light on why this is happening.

    I have 2 gmail accounts on my Windows Laptop using Microsoft Office Outlook.

    While both were configured with exactly the same encryption/security SSL/TLS settings the first one has caused no problems, while the second refused to connect to Gmail until I went to a lower level of access security as 'offered' by Gmail.

    As that email address now works then OK, BUT Google cannot tell me and will not respond to the simple question of "How do I get back to the level of security I had previously as the first email address has not had any problems and functions using the increased security level?"
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Signing in to Googlemail (or not)
Hi There Is there a simple way to disable the need to sign into Gmail lease. I have Googled same question, but the suggestions don't work out when I try.
Browsers and Email
Solved Using non-login Outlook account in Mail?
Is it possible to use a non-login email in the Mail app? I login to Windows using my personal Outlook/Microsoft account. I'd like to use my blog's Outlook address in the Mail app, so I don't need to use the web interface when replying to emails....
Browsers and Email
Solved Linked my PC to outlook account and now login is a new password
Hello New to the forums and PCs in general. Bit of back info - built a PC a month ago. Have had a few set backs with drivers and BIOS update, but it seems everything is stable for now. I signed into my Xbox Live account about a week ago,...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Solved Using Microsoft Outlook Login remembers WiFi Password?!
Interesting occurrence: Installed WinTP, then installed old WiFi card (XP vintage). The driver was not recognized, caused instability, so removed it. I have set up the computer to Login using an Microsoft Outlook account I created. Getting...
Network and Sharing
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:04.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums