Completely Remove Chrome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 934
    Win10 Version 21H2 19044.1645
       #1

    Completely Remove Chrome


    Running 15063.11/1703, recently installed.

    Noticed in registry there is a Google Chrome key in both HKCU and HKLM. Chrome was my default browser but uninstalled prior to installation of 1703. (Fast Ring upgrade, not clean install)

    When I try to delete the Chrome key get the message "Cannot delete Google. Error while deleting key." I did a Reset with same result.

    I also googled for info and tried to remove after startup in safe mode and other recs to no avail.

    Is this an item of concern ? Malware? Appreciate any comments.
    .
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 123,673
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.708
       #2

    torre said:
    Running 15063.11/1703, recently installed.

    Noticed in registry there is a Google Chrome key in both HKCU and HKLM. Chrome was my default browser but uninstalled prior to installation of 1703. (Fast Ring upgrade, not clean install)

    When I try to delete the Chrome key get the message "Cannot delete Google. Error while deleting key." I did a Reset with same result.

    I also googled for info and tried to remove after startup in safe mode and other recs to no avail.

    Is this an item of concern ? Malware? Appreciate any comments.
    .
    Make sure you are logged in as Administrator and try again. Also you could try letting CCleaner check your registry to see what it might find to clean in it. There are other apps that can do some very deep cleaning, but should only be used by experienced users. Plus they are not free. Revo uninstaller would have cleaned it up I think too, but too late now I think.
    Bottom line, I don't think its anything to worry about, just a left over entry in your registry.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 934
    Win10 Version 21H2 19044.1645
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Thanks for the reply. I did try CCcleaner initially.

    Concern is I did a complete Reset (removing files/apps) which I thought should have cleaned/reinstalled the registry.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 934
    Win10 Version 21H2 19044.1645
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Subject key is below. Anyone have similar key, Google Messaging Host, running same build ?


    Completely Remove Chrome-capture.png
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 26,355
    Win11 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #5

    torre said:
    Subject key is below. Anyone have similar key, Google Messaging Host, running same build ?


    Completely Remove Chrome-capture.png
    You will need to right click the key, select copy key name, then paste it in the browser so we'll know exactly which one it is:
    Completely Remove Chrome-2017_04_02_18_50_061.png
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 934
    Win10 Version 21H2 19044.1645
    Thread Starter
       #6

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 26,355
    Win11 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #7

    torre said:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google
    Odd, that key is not in LOCAL_MACHINE on my system, but in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Google
    But not the same subkeys as you, sorry.
    Completely Remove Chrome-image-010.png
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 123,673
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.708
       #8

    Cliff S said:
    Odd, that key is not in LOCAL_MACHINE on my system, but in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Google
    But not the same subkeys as you, sorry.
    Completely Remove Chrome-image-010.png
    I do have it in mine Cliff, but it does no harm to anything, and I'm not going to try and remove it, as Chrome is a backup browser for me...
    Completely Remove Chrome-reg1.png
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 17,831
    Windows 10
       #9

    torre said:
    ......I did a complete Reset (removing files/apps) which I thought should have cleaned/reinstalled the registry.
    Only way to get a clean Registry is to perform a clean install of Windows.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 934
    Win10 Version 21H2 19044.1645
    Thread Starter
       #10

    torre said:
    Subject key is below. Anyone have similar key, Google Messaging Host, running same build ?


    Completely Remove Chrome-capture.png

    Note "Native Messaging Host" So perhaps it is an authorized key in the latest build ? The last part is "Microsoft browser core"
    Last edited by csun; 02 Apr 2017 at 15:20.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:39.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums