Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Apr 2014
    Posts : 599
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)
       05 Jul 2015 #1

    Mail App can't work with my IMAP provider


    There is no way in the Mail App to explicitly specify a username for an email account - I guess it just assumes it's whatever is in front of the @ sign in the email address. However, my ISP uses the entire email address as the username for accessing the account, so I can't use the Mail App for this account. I was able to in 10130. Anyway, if anyone can think of a workaround, I'd be most grateful. I sure can't think of anything...

    I have posted this issue to Feedback - if you are experiencing something like it perhaps you could go and Upvote it...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
       10 Jul 2015 #2

    sgage said: View Post
    There is no way in the Mail App to explicitly specify a username for an email account - I guess it just assumes it's whatever is in front of the @ sign in the email address. However, my ISP uses the entire email address as the username for accessing the account, so I can't use the Mail App for this account. I was able to in 10130. Anyway, if anyone can think of a workaround, I'd be most grateful. I sure can't think of anything...

    I have posted this issue to Feedback - if you are experiencing something like it perhaps you could go and Upvote it...

    Same here. I have an email account from my University and username and email address aren't the same.
    I can't set it up anymore...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       11 Jul 2015 #3

    Have you tried setting up the account using Advance setup (scroll down the options)? This should let you configure things manually instead of having Mail make decisions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
       11 Jul 2015 #4

    Slartybart said: View Post
    Have you tried setting up the account using Advance setup (scroll down the options)? This should let you configure things manually instead of having Mail make decisions.
    Yes, thank you.

    That's the option I've been using.
    It had two separate fields for username and email a couple of builds ago and now it doesn't.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       11 Jul 2015 #5

    Have you tried using two @@ signs?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       11 Jul 2015 #6

    This is what I see in advanced setup

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mailAdvSetup.png 
Views:	375 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	24092

    There's Account name that should be the server sign on
    and there's User name which also looks, by the examples, to be a server sign on.

    Sometimes it's backwards, try putting your fully qualified login in both fields. Then experiment with only the left hand side of the address in each field.

    ... or maybe you've already tried that, you seem like an intelligent person
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
       12 Jul 2015 #7

    Slartybart said: View Post
    This is what I see in advanced setup

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mailAdvSetup.png 
Views:	375 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	24092

    There's Account name that should be the server sign on
    and there's User name which also looks, by the examples, to be a server sign on.

    Sometimes it's backwards, try putting your fully qualified login in both fields. Then experiment with only the left hand side of the address in each field.

    ... or maybe you've already tried that, you seem like an intelligent person
    Thank you for the suggestions!
    Yes, I've tried different strategies.
    The most successful was not to put my username (not the address) for the server sign on. I was able to connect, receive messages, but not send. (Tweaking ports afterwards didn't help).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
       12 Jul 2015 #8

    Mystere said: View Post
    Have you tried using two @@ signs?
    I'm not familiar with this strategy... How does it work? username@email@address.com ?

    Thank you!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       13 Jul 2015 #9

    epatricio said: View Post
    I'm not familiar with this strategy... How does it work? username@email@address.com ?

    Thank you!
    I think MR E was suggesting a workaround thinking that the 2nd @ would fool the App

    username@@email.server.com

    Slartybart@@MyDomainMailServer.com

    He will have to confirm that though, I'm guessing that's what he meant.

    Sounds as though you're half way home though

    If I read your post correctly, you're setting up the account similar to this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imap-a.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	24326

    A common error is to enter a mail server address with an @ sign
    -> I do it all the time - it's a bad habit of mine

    You mentioned the ports, but check with your provider re: secure socket layer (SSL) - most require it now-a-days, but your provider might have slightly different ports (587 is one of the other SSL ports in common use.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    30 Jul 2015 #10

    epatricio said: View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions!
    Yes, I've tried different strategies.
    The most successful was not to put my username (not the address) for the server sign on. I was able to connect, receive messages, but not send. (Tweaking ports afterwards didn't help).
    Did you get this solved?
    I am now exactly in the same situation, I can read email but not send. I also think that this is a port problem (my server uses port 587), but I don't know. Any hints on how (if at all) you fixed the problem are welcome.

    Thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
mail app NOT eml
Am I missing something ? Mail App doesn't open .eml files ? Mail App doesn't have > save as > .eml or .htm or .txt ? Mail App doesn't have an option to display as list summaries ?
Browsers and Email
Mail App not showing all mail, just unread.
I'm a bit slow jumping on the Insider Preview bandwagon, and as 10 is literally around the corner I thought I'd better get some practice in so I've only just installed Windows 10 for the first time today. I'm on build 10074 and have added my...
Browsers and Email
How to force Mail app to enforce Exchange 2020 mail policies?
Hello All. I have added an Exchange 2010 email account to my secondary laptop running the latest version of Windows 10 TP - 10122. I can successfully add the account and configure it and, as with Windows 8, a pop-up message appears asking me...
Browsers and Email
OUTLOOK 2013 with IMAP - what a POS - Back to 2010
Hi there Finally got rid of Office 2013 but especially Outlook 2013 off W10 -- back to Outlook 2010 (and Office 2010). If you use IMAP Outlook 2013 is HOPELESS if you use different SMTP SENDING servers - it's totally NOT USER FRIENDLY to Local...
Software and Apps
Alternative to Hosting Provider's File Manager Back End
I use a paid host for my three wordpress.org blogs but uploading themes is a hassle. If I use my host's file manager to manage my files, which I do, I can move files, including themes and plugins from one folder or blog installation to another...
Network and Sharing
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:04.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums