Windows 10: Microsoft Edge vs other browsers Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    06 Feb 2017 #1

    Microsoft Edge vs other browsers


    Hi guys,

    As a long time Firefox user and endorser, due to some nice features it has I am a bit reluctant to recommend EDGE to users trying to get the most out of their CPU but it seems Microsoft has actually done it right with EDGE.

    For some reason, maybe code, maybe the way it procsses plugins, flash....who knows. I'm not going into tech details now but EDGE seems to outperform Firefox by at least 2x when surfing around demanding video content websites (not YouTube, etc)


    I find it amazing, that Firefox can actually - in it latest build - slow down your PC performance by killing your CPU with mundane non necessities where as EDGE doesn't do it, and Chrome does it but on a lesser extent.

    What's your take on that.
    I use my browser for obvious stuff and some coding/code checkup in wordpress.

    Has Microsoft actually done one thing right?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    06 Feb 2017 #2

    from my pov, sorry to say edge falls short of magnificent. it really behaves somewhat like iE. the addons don't work properly. it asks me to save passes everytime, a few websites like ixquick search freezes for some reason. edge, for me uses a lot of resources according to task manager. the only highlight is, I can enjoy youtube vids in awesome HD. that is why I try avoid using it and go with my other 7 browsers. many folks here don't use edge..and others from outside of tenforums don't use it neither.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 718
    Windows 10
       06 Feb 2017 #3

    My take on it is people should be objective and choose the Web Browser they like and which works well. So they don't waste a load of time fiddling about with Browsers that don't work well.

    It is an Application to be used for a purpose.

    Years ago I used to have a lot of Web Browsers installed, about 5. However that was all bloat as I only ever used about 2.

    So for Windows 10 it's Edge, IE 11, Chrome. There is no point in installing anything more.
    Speed, or rather apparent speed is of no consequence for me being on a relatively slow download speed.

    I don't like Edge for a number of reasons, too Apps like is the main reason and some others, and no MS did not get it right.

    Hate the viral like so-called recommendations for Firefox. It's share of users is dwindling with good reason.

    The rest are just minor players, I can't be bothered with installing/maintaining those.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    06 Feb 2017 #4

    Helmut said: View Post
    My take on it is people should be objective and choose the Web Browser they like and which works well. So they don't waste a load of time fiddling about with Browsers that don't work well.

    It is an Application to be used for a purpose.

    Years ago I used to have a lot of Web Browsers installed, about 5. However that was all bloat as I only ever used about 2.

    So for Windows 10 it's Edge, IE 11, Chrome. There is no point in installing anything more.
    Speed, or rather apparent speed is of no consequence for me being on a relatively slow download speed.

    I don't like Edge for a number of reasons, too Apps like is the main reason and some others, and no MS did not get it right.

    Hate the viral like so-called recommendations for Firefox. It's share of users is dwindling with good reason.

    The rest are just minor players, I can't be bothered with installing/maintaining those.
    I use firefox, chrome (for work) and now, edge for fast browsing.

    What's your take on firefox loosing it's share. For me, I went ballistic when I found out how inefficient it gets when running demanding websites (a lot of hi res pic, videos...etc). We are taking about 50 - 60 % CPU usage on a quad core.

    Don't get me wrong, I am not praising EDGE in any way. I just like how it performs in certain websites.
    It does have it own myriad of problems as well, but for now from my POV the foundation seems to work good.

    Also note that I haven't done actual real work in Edge aside from casual browsing. I use Chrome for that. I wouldn't want to use something that I am not 100% sure about because I run in-app advertising for my companies official iOS and Android app-s and if there is something I hate than that's doing double work and not being sure whether some javascript failed to load and that reflected on my app push message feature etc etc etc.....
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 496
    Win 10 Home Build 1803, 17133.1,64bit
       06 Feb 2017 #5

    @marko - Your specs state you are running build 10586. Is that current, or are you running the latest Insider Build ?

    Edge is "a work in progress" with continued improvements in the Insider Builds.

    Many users running build 1607 or earlier prefer another browser at this time. Surprised to hear the issues with Firefox. I do not use FF, but read an article that stated the latest release was to reduce memory consumption and other improvements.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    06 Feb 2017 #6

    torre said: View Post
    @marko - Your specs state you are running build 10586. Is that current, or are you running the latest Insider Build ?

    Edge is "a work in progress" with continued improvements in the Insider Builds.

    Many users running build 1607 or earlier prefer another browser at this time. Surprised to hear the issues with Firefox. I do not use FF, but read an article that stated the latest release was to reduce memory consumption and other improvements.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	120148

    As far as I know I am using the latest release of win. Yes, ran into problems with CPU usage, and that made me remove it from active usage.

    Although my specs are slightly outdated - acer v5 552 pg, a10q with radeon 8750....but still
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 496
    Win 10 Home Build 1803, 17133.1,64bit
       06 Feb 2017 #7

    That is the latest regular build, not an insider build. Glad you are having success with Edge.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 2,630
    Windows 10x64 Home Version 1803 (Build 17134) .81
       06 Feb 2017 #8

    Marko1401 said: View Post
    Hi guys,

    As a long time Firefox user and endorser, due to some nice features it has I am a bit reluctant to recommend EDGE to users trying to get the most out of their CPU but it seems Microsoft has actually done it right with EDGE.

    For some reason, maybe code, maybe the way it procsses plugins, flash....who knows. I'm not going into tech details now but EDGE seems to outperform Firefox by at least 2x when surfing around demanding video content websites (not YouTube, etc)




    I find it amazing, that Firefox can actually - in it latest build - slow down your PC performance by killing your CPU with mundane non necessities where as EDGE doesn't do it, and Chrome does it but on a lesser extent.

    What's your take on that.
    I use my browser for obvious stuff and some coding/code checkup in wordpress.

    Has Microsoft actually done one thing right?
    Yes I have used Edge since Day1 and I can tell you Edge does work great with YouTube
    With IE it kept freezing with Edge I have had none of that at all
    Also works ok with the latest version of Office 365 and Office 2016
    Also IE would sometime not find my Printer but Edge does
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    06 Feb 2017 #9

    I never use Edge, I even removed the icon from the desktop.

    I use Chrome, and I do it for specific reasons. I can sync with my Android phone, my Windows box, my Linux box and my Mac. Cannot do that with either IE or Edge.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    07 Feb 2017 #10

    pparks1 said: View Post
    I never use Edge, I even removed the icon from the desktop.

    I use Chrome, and I do it for specific reasons. I can sync with my Android phone, my Windows box, my Linux box and my Mac. Cannot do that with either IE or Edge.
    I still use Firefox on my android and just send pages to my sync on my laptop and desktop. I do some android development on top of digital advertising and graphics. You might check me out on upwork, If you need a hand with that I can give you guys something. https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/us...8e73a88d318ef/.

    Also, note that in terms of RAW page load speed and general performance and I am not talking about funcionality or user experience here - Edge has surpassed both Firefox and Chrome on CPU and memory usage. Sorry. that's my experience

    However when we are talking about functionality - I work in Chrome due to my google account, and in Firefox as to sync content across my devices. Also, edge has simply failed to load specific plugins in certain websites, probably largely attributing to page load speed and inner workings. Not properly displaying button graphics etc...

    But the end result is - I am using it as we speak - for day to day browsing because it is faster and less resource intensive.
    I won't be using FF because when paired with Android studio, my CPU is next to 90% and over half of that is on FF.


    Thanks for your comments guys.
    Last edited by Marko1401; 07 Feb 2017 at 11:20.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Related Threads
    Is there an audio equalizer that I can download for Win 10? My bluetooth headset sounds weird on Firefox and Edge when I listen to youtube and I want a way to tweak its sound. Let me know!
    I belong to a forum where we sometimes post a music video, and I never had problems until a couple of days ago seeing a video that was downloaded to the forum in full-screen mode. It happens in IE11 and Edge browsers, and just started. A couple...
    Read more: Microsoft Now Allows Google Chrome and Firefox Users Access the Update Catalog I am personally glad, that I can finally download drivers directly from Microsoft. About time. :rolleyes:
    Edge Browsers & PDF'S in Browsers and Email
    Why is it, when I click to open a PDF from my brokerage account to view a trade confirmation, Edge cannot open the PDF, however, when I switch to IE or Chrome no problem opening the same? Thanks
    Not having Edge means some of the tiles do not work, Any that need your location, contact support, money, People etc.. Also I cannot add a user profile connecting my Hotmail account because it will not connect to the net.. I looked into the...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:21.
    Find Us