Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    04 Feb 2017 #1
    Join Date : Nov 2016
    USA
    Posts : 294
    Windows10

    Thinking of Getting a Second Email Address for Less Serious Things


    I might be the only person here who only has one email address, but I've wanted to have a second one to use for frivolous things. I think I started to check into one a long time ago, but they asked a lot of information about me and also wanted my current email address, and I didn't want to give it.

    I heard that Gmail is very invasive and can scan the emails you send and receive, including your personal photos. Then I remember Yahoo email had some security risks. My sister uses Hotmail, but she says her inbox is constantly full of spam.

    I thought of using something like the Start Page email because they say they block your IP address and are very private. But, I don't want to pay for a second email account.

    How many email accounts do you have and are there any that you really like or hate? Just curious, thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    04 Feb 2017 #2
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro

    I have one from my ISP. Not happy about it, because I have a lot of work ahead of me to leave that ISP.

    Mainly I use gmail. Never a problem. I do have an old hotmail.com that I use for my ms account.

    Finally, I have google docs with a personal registered domain name. I use that for all family stuff. I can create 50 accounts, and if I delete 1 I can add another back.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    05 Feb 2017 #3
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,341
    Windows 10 Professional

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    I might be the only person here who only has one email address, but I've wanted to have a second one to use for frivolous things. I think I started to check into one a long time ago, but they asked a lot of information about me and also wanted my current email address, and I didn't want to give it.

    I heard that Gmail is very invasive and can scan the emails you send and receive, including your personal photos. Then I remember Yahoo email had some security risks. My sister uses Hotmail, but she says her inbox is constantly full of spam.

    I thought of using something like the Start Page email because they say they block your IP address and are very private. But, I don't want to pay for a second email account.

    How many email accounts do you have and are there any that you really like or hate? Just curious, thanks.
    It's perfectly fine to create a fictional or throw away Gmail account for frivolous purposes if used wisely.
    If you give it a very corporate sounding name, you will rarely, if ever, get any spam.
    If you don't want to render any other info, you will be asked to verify the account with a one time phone code.
    Clicking on the 'Learn more' link at the bottom is very helpful.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	119923
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    05 Feb 2017 #4
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 1,391
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Finally, I have google docs with a personal registered domain name. I use that for all family stuff. I can create 50 accounts, and if I delete 1 I can add another back.
    I'm guessing that google docs isn't free (or maybe it was when you signed up but not now)?
    The registered domain name won't be free either, of course, although they aren't hugely pricey unless you have a name which is in demand.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    05 Feb 2017 #5
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Trnava
    Posts : 2,857
    Windows 10.4 Home 1709 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    How many email accounts do you have and are there any that you really like or hate? Just curious, thanks.
    I really really hate live/hotmail/outlook or whatever it is called these days. I have tried to use it several times, but for starters, it kept loosing emails, prevented me from changing password, it even denied me access in the end.

    I use mail.ru primarily and gmail for forums/spam, it has a great spam filter. I have got yandex, but just for syncing my browser, also a government email associated with my ID. All my emails are forwarded to my main.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    05 Feb 2017 #6
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 1,805
    Windows 10 Pro x64 FCU - XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing

    I have a number of email addresses from various providers, all are fed through a gmail account, (POP3 Mail Collection by Gmail not forwarded in the traditional manner), as I find that their spam filters and support for email rules gives me good organisational control.

    Most of the time I use the online access to gmail, (I have an add-on for Firefox that gives me pop-up access to gmail). but I also use IMAP access across devices with Thunderbird, (or Outlook), I have one Yahoo account, that I never use (needed for access to flickr), and Microsoft Account, (Now Outlook.com but an original Hotmail Account) needed for communication with certain MS services.

    One Mail provider that you may want to take a look at is Free Email Accounts: Discover the Potential | GMX European Based originally but available world wide with a variety of domain options for 6 sub accounts
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    05 Feb 2017 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I'm guessing that google docs isn't free (or maybe it was when you signed up but not now)?
    The registered domain name won't be free either, of course, although they aren't hugely pricey unless you have a name which is in demand.
    It was free when I signed up. It's Google Apps that I use. But they do charge for it now, but they have continued to allow pre-existing users to continue using it for free.

    Yes, my domain name registration through Google costs me $10 per year.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    05 Feb 2017 #8

    Hi there

    I also have a domain registration that costs around 15 EUR a year - and I can have as many email boxes on it as I like (and can delete then too of course).

    The advantage with your own domain of course is you can simply add the accounts to your standard Outlook send / receive - and you'll get it on your phone too (if you want).

    Simple.

    After I've had say more than about 30 SPAM emails I just delete the account and create a new one.

    Two fingers to Amazon and every organisation on the planet trying to sell me stuff they "think I couldn't live without".

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    05 Feb 2017 #9
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Costa del Sol
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Home Edition

    I have a number of email addresses for different purposes. Hotmail is free and it works well. I prefer fastmail.fm from Australia but they no longer offer free accounts. I pay $30 per year per account. As a backup account you can use a hotmail account. If you don't have a backup email address then when something goes wrong such as you forget your password, they can't contact you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    05 Feb 2017 #10

    Quote Originally Posted by BonzoDog View Post
    I have a number of email addresses for different purposes. Hotmail is free and it works well. I prefer fastmail.fm from Australia but they no longer offer free accounts. I pay $30 per year per account. As a backup account you can use a hotmail account. If you don't have a backup email address then when something goes wrong such as you forget your password, they can't contact you.
    Hi @BonzoDog

    Paying even 30 USD a year per account seems like BAD business -- why not BUY a domain (you don't even need it to be hosted) as some domain providers include the cost of 1 mailbox with the price of the domain.

    You can get Hosting services for a very small amount of USD - especially if you don't need mega loads of storage.

    Of course you can pay for hosting - cheaper by far than paying per email account -- and simply in the Hosting providers control panel (often called things like Cpanel) set up your email accounts --often UNLIMITED if you buy Hosting service - usually very cheap - and then set the email to forward to wherever you need to access that account - e.g on OUTLOOK or whatever.

    You can get Hosting services for a very small amount of USD - especially if you don't need mega loads of storage.

    You can even get FREE domains but if you want something sensible you'll probably have to pay a few (in most places not too expensive) USD to register a domain - e.g if you want Guernsey etc (domain.gg) it will cost you a bit more than the bog standard Free ones - but even on the Free ones you can create whatever you like for email addresses and have them forwarded to a standard OUTLOOK type of account. They all do IMAP and POP3 these days too.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
email address shows on log in screen
Jut had a Windows update (Sept 17 2016) and now on the log in screen it shows my preferred picture and beneath it my email address (Microsoft account). It did not do this before. How can I revert back to picture only. Win 10 Home Edition...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Email address
I tried to send an email using live.com, my Microsoft address, and their address was invalid yet when I put the exact address the recipient in Gmail it worked. Any explanations please. Thank you Peter
Browsers and Email
Solved different user accounts, only one email address?
Hi I've got two computers running windows 7. Both have an administrator account and a standard user account. The computer I use for gaming has a third account for gaming (I have some older games that don't like the aero-peak feature so the...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Solved Yes, you *can* still register an email address as an Insider
I've seen a couple of comments saying you can't register as an Insider, but I just wanted to say I've done it today and it still works, just in case it helps someone. What you can't do (well not officially; I imagine there are workarounds) is...
Windows Insider
Verify your email address
When I try to download any app, "I get the prompt "Verify your email address." I originally submitted an email address and password when I set up windows 10. Now, I am sent a link directing me to a website to verify my password. The password (which...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:19.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums