Windows 10: Windows won't set ANY default browser Solved

  1. SOHO1's Avatar
    Posts : 114
    Windows 10 Edu
       16 Jan 2017 #1

    Windows won't set ANY default browser


    Pressing + will bring up the list but not set/keep the selection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017_01_16_18_29_042.png  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. SOHO1's Avatar
    Posts : 114
    Windows 10 Edu
    Thread Starter
       16 Jan 2017 #2

    Peforming a reset, allows EDGE to be the default, but does not allow changing to any other browser.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. SOHO1's Avatar
    Posts : 114
    Windows 10 Edu
    Thread Starter
       16 Jan 2017 #3

    Ah, the bottom link "Set defaults by app"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017_01_16_18_33_301.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	117413
    Allows you to pick chrome or whatever
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017_01_16_18_34_072.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	117414
    and that DOES save.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017_01_16_18_34_483.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	117415

    Et voila! The joy of Windows 10!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    30 Apr 2018 #4

    SOHO1 said: View Post
    Ah, the bottom link "Set defaults by app"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017_01_16_18_33_301.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	117413
    Allows you to pick chrome or whatever
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017_01_16_18_34_072.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	117414
    and that DOES save.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017_01_16_18_34_483.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	117415

    Et voila! The joy of Windows 10!
    -----------
    Windows 1709, making minor updates to the corporate image (that we have had no trouble with over the last few updates this year). For the first time, we are seeing the same issue as the OP on any new domain profile (local admin profile doesn't have this problem).

    I followed both the top and bottom procedures, and in both cases selecting anything but Edge closes the window back to Desktop immediately without making a change. The default does not change. Repeating the process over and over doesn't change the result: apparent crash to Desktop.

    Tried it with Firefox as well, identical result for both solutions given above, so it's not the browser.

    Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    30 Apr 2018 #5

    I am using this thread because it perfectly shows the process of making Chrome or FF the default browser, and then a back-up process in case there's trouble with that, and how both are failing.

    Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    4 Weeks Ago #6

    Possible Solution? Windows 10 Pro 1803


    Hi Guys,

    I also had this issue where when selecting anything other than Edge the settings screen would close and the changes not saved on one of our domain joined machines. Infuriating. So, after searching all over for a solution i thought I would try to sign in with a new user and see if the issue is present there. It wasn't, neither was it present on the administrator account.

    I removed the user by clicking Windows Key + X > System > System Info > Advanced System Settings > Settings (under User Profiles) > Delete user.

    Having deleted the user I logged back into their account and tried to change the browser using the steps above and voilą! The changes worked. Looks like it's profile dependent so I hope this helps anyone that needs it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    4 Weeks Ago #7

    Interesting, might just work


    Thank you for responding! That looks like it might work, though I side-stepped the issue by rebuilding the image from scratch (took the whole month ). But if we see this again, we'll try your steps.

    DanP95 said: View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I also had this issue where when selecting anything other than Edge the settings screen would close and the changes not saved on one of our domain joined machines. Infuriating. So, after searching all over for a solution i thought I would try to sign in with a new user and see if the issue is present there. It wasn't, neither was it present on the administrator account.

    I removed the user by clicking Windows Key + X > System > System Info > Advanced System Settings > Settings (under User Profiles) > Delete user.

    Having deleted the user I logged back into their account and tried to change the browser using the steps above and voilą! The changes worked. Looks like it's profile dependent so I hope this helps anyone that needs it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 21,170
    Windows 10 Skip Ahead Preview Build 18219
       3 Weeks Ago #8

    SOHO1 said: View Post
    Pressing + will bring up the list but not set/keep the selection.
    I'm not sure, but you may be going at it wrong:

    Settings>Apps>Default Apps>Click on the Web Browser in the box, then when the list shows up, click on your chosen browser.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Default Apps.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	200769
    The browser name should change to what you want to use.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hello Guys After a while of using the new Windows 10 I faced a problem . when any program in the Desktop wonna redirect me to some internet page the system say " How you wonna open this webset ? " . and in normal case it will give the Choose to...
Hi Lately I upgraded to Windows 10 1607. It seems that whenever I open the default apps window (and only that window), the taskbar icons are blinking and I can't change the default browser to Firefox (I'm using the portable version). It's in...
I would not normally come whining and crying to you folks but I am not able to solve this one myself. This is a new install of Windows 10- done yesterday and Firefox was installed today. Using Firefox or Default apps in Windows 10, I cannot...
I used the free Windows 10 upload from Microsoft to update my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Windows 10 was working great, then all of a sudden a couple of days ago, I kept getting fatal error messages, my computer was connected to the...
I currently have Firefox, IE and Edge installed on my PC. Firefox is set as the default browser. When I go into the default apps setting screen and click to change my default browser, only IE and Firefox are on the list, so I can't select Edge. ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16.
Find Us