Windows 10: install chrome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    18 Jun 2015 #11

    Fragment said: View Post
    It does not cause "a lot" of problems.
    I have machines which have had chrome versions 2x.x installed until shortly and browsing was still fine.
    The OP had a question. And this is an answer to his question.
    In any case the portable editions are alarming you when updates are out. And you can simply install over the old installation without losing settings. It is not a big effort if your main issue is to have the install location on another disk like OP asked for.
    My point is that Chrome is "install and forget" for most people, and Google is not very good about notifying people when new versions are out, because they assume all users will be upgraded automatically. Most people are simply not going to be diligent about this, which means you will be exposed to security vulnerabilities, you may have problems with sites that are using new features and assume chrome will have them, and you will likely have issues with extensions which try to upgrade and assume you will be using the most recent version.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       18 Jun 2015 #12

    Fragment said: View Post
    The OP had a question. And this is an answer to his question.
    In any case the portable editions are alarming you when updates are out. And you can simply install over the old installation without losing settings. It is not a big effort if your main issue is to have the install location on another disk like OP asked for.
    Thanks Fragment,

    That is the answer to the question jamos316 asked:
    jamos316 said: View Post
    does anyone know how to install chrome on another disk?
    there is not a wizard that shows that will allow to pick the install location
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    18 Jun 2015 #13

    Mystere said: View Post
    My point is that Chrome is "install and forget" for most people, and Google is not very good about notifying people when new versions are out, because they assume all users will be upgraded automatically. Most people are simply not going to be diligent about this, which means you will be exposed to security vulnerabilities, you may have problems with sites that are using new features and assume chrome will have them, and you will likely have issues with extensions which try to upgrade and assume you will be using the most recent version.
    As I said. OP asked for a solution. I delivered. Standard extensions wont have ANY problems even with many major releases.
    If he wants to install on another location he pays the price of some comfort on the other hand.
    But please why are you even making an effort to trash talk portable versions so stubbornly in this thread, when it is totally malapropos.

    And finally: If you use the Portable Apps suite you can keep your apps autoupdated as well! So there is nothing to fear using chrome portable if your main interest is to install it in another location than the default one.

    You speak as if there is one update and you dont do it in the next hours after it came out the world breaks down.
    Go read the chrome release notes and then talk. Btw I just tested it... just for you... recent version of ad block plus works on a chrome 36 (july 14... thats ONE YEAR AGO).

    But yes in one single point you are right. You should update your browser or let it update automatically for security reasons.
    So just use PAppSuite and let Chrome get updated automatically.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    18 Jun 2015 #14

    Fragment said: View Post
    It does not cause "a lot" of problems.
    I have machines which have had chrome versions 2x.x installed until shortly and browsing was still fine.
    The OP had a question. And this is an answer to his question.
    In any case the portable editions are alarming you when updates are out. And you can simply install over the old installation without losing settings. It is not a big effort if your main issue is to have the install location on another disk like OP asked for.
    According to the PortableApps site, you have to manually check for updates. It doesn't say anything about automatic updating. But, I could be wrong about that.

    Just because one extension you use works doesn't mean every extension will. My point is that you are going to have extra work to do, and you could run into issues. If the user is prepared to do that, great. But they should think about whether or not they want to manually keep things up to date, because if they aren't diligent, they could expose themselves to malware and viruses.

    No, it's not a "big effort", but it it's something you have to remember to do on a regular basis. Not everyone wants to do that, I certainly don't.

    The problem I have with this solution is that you are obligating the user to more work, without telling them that this is the case to allow them to make their own informed decision. You just assume everyone will be ok with it, but since you didn't even tell them this would be the case, they may not even know they have to keep the app updated, and thus they might end up a year behind or more and not realize it.

    I'm just trying to give people all the facts before they make their decision to use this approach. I don't recommend it, unless you know what you're doing and want the responsibility of keeping it updated.

    There are also security and privacy concerns about using the portable version, particularly if you put it on a USB drive and take it to other computers. Again, you have to be aware of these and if you're comfortable with them, then that's up to you, but just telling people that Portable apps are the solution to their problem is only true if they are fully informed about the issues and potential issues, and they are willing to accept them.

    EDIT:

    I see if you use their AppStore then it will offer to upgrade out of date apps. If you just download the standalone installer though, then it won't.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    18 Jun 2015 #15

    Fair enough.
    Well lets just hope OP is a clever and professional IT user. Then nothing should go wrong with a portable app
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
I'm posting this in 'general' because I see no evidence that what I've been assessing is 10-specific. The current edition of Google chrome is a PIG on the very thing you would think it would be top-ranked at: YouTube.... I first noticed this...
For the past several builds my chrome has issues pulling up random sites. Sometimes the sites will pull up fine and then other times my browser will say err_connection_timed_out . I usually have to hit refresh 5-6 times before the site will actually...
Anyone upgrading to the new Chrome stable build 42.0.2311.90 and would like to revert back to the standard Bookmark Manager, here is how.... Type about:flags in search bar, press enter. Disable flag: Enable Enhanced BookmarksMac, Windows,...
Chrome issues with 10041 in Software and Apps
I just updated to 10041 and now my Chrome barely functions. A lot of web sites freeze up and Chrome asks me if I want to wait or kill the page. It never did that before 10041. Should I re install Chrome or what should I do? thanks
IE 11 shows as Chrome 39 in Browsers and Email
Hi all. What's the story behind IE 11 showing as Chrome 39? Whether or not I change to flags in IE 11, per this article, I notice that IE 11 is seen as being Chrome. Any news about why? 11104 I have another Win 8.1 laptop with IE11,...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55.
Find Us