Windows 10: All browsers freeze streaming video from Xfinity / Comcast
All browsers freeze streaming video from Xfinity / Comcast
So, Xfinity/Comcast did a major update to their web page used for streaming live TV and On-Demand. It used to work OK with the previous web site, but now when I stream live TV or movies they freeze every few seconds to every few minutes. Pretty weird, but in almost all cases minimizing or maximizing the browser restarts the video until it freezes again. Makes it pretty brutal doing this for a 2 hour movie (Like hundreds of times I have to minimize or maximize the browser to continue watching). I see only a few people complaining of this, which kinda leads me to believe it is a combination of the newer streaming method being very bloated and my low end laptop hardware not being able to handle it, but I am just guessing here. Maybe there is a setting change I can make somewhere in Windows?
Things I have tried:
1) Different browsers. It happens in all browsers (Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge), although Microsoft Edge is the better of the three in this regard.
2) Turned off hardware acceleration. Did not help.
3) Checked if their was an update to the video driver both directly from the card manufacturer and the laptop manufacturer. There is not. All other drivers are up to date.
4) Tried this at several peoples locations with different ISP's, different router hardware, etc. No improvement.
5) Ran CCleaner to clear out any junk, along with various other cleaning methods. I have to do this on a regular basis anyway because of the 32 GB storage limitation for the OS..
6) All my antivirus is updated daily, with frequent full or partial scans (Nortons, Malwarebytes, SpywareBlaster).
7) Checked Task manager. Yes the cpu maxes out at 100% occasionally, or memory is close to being used up sometimes, but there is no correlation of this to the moment the freeze occurs.
8) No entries in the event viewer.
Now the laptop is low end. I got it because I just needed something temporary while traveling and wanted something small, light and cheap. So other than this problem it works very well, albeit obviously no speed demon. I do have a high end custom built desktop, but it is in storage until I find a place to settle down and can set it up again.
HERE ARE THE SPECS:
MANUFACTURER = HP
MODEL NAME = HP STREAM 11
AMAZON PART # = 11-r010nr
HP PRODUCT # = N5X86UA#ABA
WHEN PURCHASED = 1 year ago.
RAM = 2 GB
CPU = Intel Celeron N3050 (1.60 GHz)
STORAGE DEVICE # 1 = eMMC (32GB). cpu / memory inttensive applications are stored here (Including browsers wherever possible)
STORAGE DEVICE # 2 = SD Card (32GB). All other applications are stored here to save space for the OS which must be installed on STORAGE DEVICE # 1.
OPERATING SYSTEM = Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition. (The Anniversary update has not been installed yet. First of all the update fails because I need to get a flash drive for more space so it can proceed. Secondly I can not live without the laptop at the moment, so I am in no rush for the update and there are still quite a few bugs). All other Windows Updates are current.
Last edited by pjc123; 01 Nov 2016 at 13:08.
This has been happening on and off ever since I started with Win 10 and its always very annoying :huh:.
System just hangs, no error message, no bsod, just complete freeze and loud hum.
I cant say I can remember having issues watching youtube...
Hi. I am running windows 10 and want to stream the video on my PC with my TV which are both on the same network.
I had used Samsung smart view but even that has stopped since I updated to 10.
I have tried to add the TV to my home group but that...
I'm at the end of the rope on trying to solve this problem. I am using a Dell XPS-17 L702X laptop with 8GB of DDR3 RAM and two internal drives, 500GB each. I have 408 GB of free space on the OS drive, which is Drive C. I am running a clean...
Since I installed Win 10 I notice at times when I watch a movie in full screen on any player or stream on you tube full screen the player will min itself or freeze so I have to refresh, watching a movie on a player will result in it just...
Hello tenforums members,
I upgraded my Lenovo U310 laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 a week ago. Everything seems to have upgraded successfully. The only problem that I can find is that none of the video streaming from Windows 10 apps can be...