Windows 10: IE11 favorites issue Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 3,191
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       04 Jun 2015 #1

    IE11 favorites issue


    I deleted the favorites folder in Users/me,,,to created a new one ,it did create the new favorites folder but it will now not let me save any favorites ,or i replaced the new folder with the old backed up one ,and it will not show the favorites even though they are in the folder ,ty
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,191
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
    Thread Starter
       04 Jun 2015 #2

    I just fixed it with something I tried twice already ,but for some reason today it worked ,,, I had the favorites folder backed up to thumb drive ,,when I plugged in the thumb drive and open IE it found the favorites on the drive and worked , so I copied the favorites folder to the desktop it found it there as well ,so I then put it back into the user folder and its now working again,
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3,191
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
    Thread Starter
       04 Jun 2015 #3

    opps ,not working again, only shows favorites when I plug in the thumb drive with the favorites folder on it ,weird
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       04 Jun 2015 #4

    caperjack said: View Post
    opps ,not working again, only shows favorites when I plug in the thumb drive with the favorites folder on it ,weird
    Try deleting the fav folder you created, launch IE, save a web page to favorites
    did IE recreate teh favorites folder?

    No, let it percolate and check in a while to see if Windows recreates it in it's crawl.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 14,994
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       04 Jun 2015 #5

    If IE is sync'd with OneDrive it "should" recreate it. Or not?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 3,191
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
    Thread Starter
       04 Jun 2015 #6

    Slartybart said: View Post
    Try deleting the fav folder you created, launch IE, save a web page to favorites
    did IE recreate teh favorites folder?

    No, let it percolate and check in a while to see if Windows recreates it in it's crawl.
    ie will not not let me add a favorite after I delete the folder

    Cliff S , I will check see if I have onedrive set to sinc ,I may have it turned off ,
    thank for comments
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       04 Jun 2015 #7

    How about this ... turn IE off in Pgms & Feats Turn Windows features on or off, restart, then turn IE back on.

    I started writing that I wouldn't be much help because I turned off IE, then it occurred to me that might help you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 3,191
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
    Thread Starter
       04 Jun 2015 #8

    Slartybart said: View Post
    How about this ... turn IE off in Pgms & Feats Turn Windows features on or off, restart, then turn IE back on.

    I started writing that I wouldn't be much help because I turned off IE, then it occurred to me that might help you.
    i will try that now ,thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       04 Jun 2015 #9

    caperjack said: View Post
    i will try that now ,thanks
    I'll keep posting suggestions as I think of them:

    It probably isn't this easy, but try it - who knows ...

    Create a new Favorites folder, then use your text editor to build the desktop.ini for the Favorites folder using the lines in the code box below. If nothing else, it will be a folder with a star

    Fairly standard stuff - the folder name and icon from shell32.dll

    Here's the contents of desktop.ini file in the Favorites folder on my other machine.

    Code:
    [.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21796
    IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-115
    IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
    IconIndex=-173
    or ... How about creating a new user profile and comparing the registry entries for favorites. I looked at the other machines registry and there really aren't too many once you strike the Edge browser keys. I thought about posting the keys from my side, but it would be more expedient for you to do it side by side after exporting the HKCU key while logged in to each user.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 3,191
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
    Thread Starter
       04 Jun 2015 #10

    I will try that tomorrow ,getting late here ,early to bed early to rise ,, thanks .

    Slartybart said: View Post
    I'll keep posting suggestions as I think of them:

    It probably isn't this easy, but try it - who knows ...

    Create a new Favorites folder, then use your text editor to build the desktop.ini for the Favorites folder using the lines in the code box below. If nothing else, it will be a folder with a star

    Fairly standard stuff - the folder name and icon from shell32.dll

    Here's the contents of desktop.ini file in the Favorites folder on my other machine.

    Code:
    [.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21796
    IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-115
    IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
    IconIndex=-173
    or ... How about creating a new user profile and comparing the registry entries for favorites. I looked at the other machines registry and there really aren't too many once you strike the Edge browser keys. I thought about posting the keys from my side, but it would be more expedient for you to do it side by side after exporting the HKCU key while logged in to each user.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Solved Update issue.. UEFI firmware issue in Installation and Upgrade
14703 Any suggestions??
edge seems massively dumbed down, very bare options configuration compared to IE11. From what I can see all of the following are missing. No options to toggle tls 1.1 1.0 1.2 etc. No options to toggle gpu acceleration No options to set file...
ie11 in Browsers and Email
I installed win10 preview 10162,everything fine until I noticed no bookmarks/favorites folder or I wasn't looking in the right places(s). On the start/all programs /windows accessories there was ie so I added it to the desktop clicked on it to...
Solved IE11 in Windows 10 builds in Browsers and Email
Is it possible to run IE11 in windows 10 builds greater than 10049?
Hi there What's a poor old dumb user like me meant to do with this sort of message (IE11 browser). I suppose this must mean something to somebody - but even Chinese for me would me more understandable !!!!! 8760 Cheers jimbo
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40.
Find Us