1. Joined : Jan 2016
    Posts : 9
    windows 10 pro
       10 Oct 2016 #1

    Email storage for windows live account and outlook.


    Please can you help? I use windows 10 on both laptop and desktop Pc. I have a microsoft login account and use Outlook (paid subscription) software. I would like to know for peace of mind if my emails are stored in my microsoft account or on each device when I log in? My reasoning is I would like to download and export my emails to either and external HD device or cloud base situation. Can you tell me if my account is actually cloud based and therefore saved already or located in my user\app section in C:/ but I haven't found it in C:\user\appdata\local\microsoft\windows mail
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Nov 2013
    Posts : 209
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       10 Oct 2016 #2

    In Windows Live Mail - click on File - select Export email _ select Email Messages. I do this periodically to my external HD.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (11).png 
Views:	3 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	105350
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 7
       10 Oct 2016 #3

    Can we use its export feature to batch export emails? Confused.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jan 2016
    Posts : 9
    windows 10 pro
       11 Oct 2016 #4

    Clint said: View Post
    In Windows Live Mail - click on File - select Export email _ select Email Messages. I do this periodically to my external HD.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (11).png 
Views:	3 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	105350
    Thanks Clint for your time and assistance. Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't use windows live mail with microsoft thinking of removing. I use chrome browser and outlook mail to receive my mail. I have a microsoft login account, which is my outlook mail account. I have looked again for any signs that can help me but still cannot locate where my actual mail is stored. Could it be in the cloud perhaps.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Nov 2013
    Posts : 209
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       11 Oct 2016 #5

    Silencious said: View Post
    Thanks Clint for your time and assistance. Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't use windows live mail with microsoft thinking of removing. I use chrome browser and outlook mail to receive my mail. I have a microsoft login account, which is my outlook mail account. I have looked again for any signs that can help me but still cannot locate where my actual mail is stored. Could it be in the cloud perhaps.
    The reason that I posted that is your title said-Email storage for windows live account and outlook.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Nov 2013
    Posts : 209
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       11 Oct 2016 #6

    Dlambert said: View Post
    Can we use its export feature to batch export emails? Confused.
    When I do that I select The folders that I want to save and it copies all the e-mails in those folders.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WLM.PNG 
Views:	16 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	105433
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jan 2016
    Posts : 9
    windows 10 pro
       11 Oct 2016 #7

    Clint said: View Post
    The reason that I posted that is your title said-Email storage for windows live account and outlook.
    can anyone help?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 91
    Windows 10
       12 Oct 2016 #8

    Silencious said: View Post
    I use windows 10 on both laptop and desktop Pc. I have a microsoft login account and use Outlook (paid subscription) software. I would like to know for peace of mind if my emails are stored in my microsoft account or on each device when I log in? My reasoning is I would like to download and export my emails to either and external HD device or cloud base situation. Can you tell me if my account is actually cloud based and therefore saved already or located in my user\app section in C:/ but I haven't found it in C:\user\appdata\local\microsoft\windows mail
    I suspect you've muddied the waters a bit with your Outlook (paid subscription) software statement.

    Yes, if you're referring to a Live.com account (Outlook.co.uk, Hotmail.co.uk, etc.) paid subscription to avoid advertisements -- and viewing it by going to that web page in Google Chrome, your messages aren't being transferred to your local drive at all. They remain stored on that web service.

    However, if you're using the Outlook application (Outlook 2016, Office 365 Outlook, etc.) to access that Live.com account, then your messages are usually downloaded to your .OST or .PST files on your local drive -- and therefore should be backed up regularly. (Sorry, I don't use Outlook any more, so I can't advise which directory to inspect for those files. Your Outlook settings should be the start for that treasure hunt.)

    C:\user\appdata\local\microsoft\windows mail is a directory used by W10 Mail (UWP) application, but you're apparently not using that application.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jan 2016
    Posts : 9
    windows 10 pro
       12 Oct 2016 #9

    gpstoloff said: View Post
    I suspect you've muddied the waters a bit with your Outlook (paid subscription) software statement.

    Yes, if you're referring to a Live.com account (Outlook.co.uk, Hotmail.co.uk, etc.) paid subscription to avoid advertisements -- and viewing it by going to that web page in Google Chrome, your messages aren't being transferred to your local drive at all. They remain stored on that web service.

    However, if you're using the Outlook application (Outlook 2016, Office 365 Outlook, etc.) to access that Live.com account, then your messages are usually downloaded to your .OST or .PST files on your local drive -- and therefore should be backed up regularly. (Sorry, I don't use Outlook any more, so I can't advise which directory to inspect for those files. Your Outlook settings should be the start for that treasure hunt.)

    C:\user\appdata\local\microsoft\windows mail is a directory used by W10 Mail (UWP) application, but you're apparently not using that application.
    Thank you for this.This has eased my mind. I don't agree with microsoft charging for a yearly subscription to office and I much prefer what I have which is how you have eloquently put in your reply.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Stop Outlook.com and MS Live Email hooking up
Hello, I am running Win 10 Pro 14915. Ever since the last Inside build (14915) I've been having issues with my MS LIVE Email (MS Essentials). For example: the program will not let me delete new unread or read emails or allow a move to a different...
Browsers and Email
Can I create two Windows Live Account and two Outlook mail accounts?.
How can I created two Microsoft accounts (Windows Live), and also two outlook mail accounts?. Thank you for any assistance sent my way. Regards.
User Accounts and Family Safety
Unable to connect any email client to outlook.com account
This morning none of my email clients will connect to my outlook.com account. This includes my iPhone and Outlook 2013 on the desktop (Windows 10). The built in Mail app in Windows 10 will connect. When I go to the web version of Outlook, it...
Browsers and Email
User account by live.com email forced without asking
I upgraded with a name only user in win 10 and no password. NICE! Then I went to Microsoft embedded store that requires a live.com email. Win 10 converted my female named user account to my male named live.com email name as my current user and...
User Accounts and Family Safety
How to Remove an Email Account from Outlook.com
Under Windows 10, how do I remove an email account from Outlook.com? The account is the only one there and it is the address I used when I set up my Microsoft Account. I am having trouble and would like to start all over. Thank you.
Browsers and Email
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:25.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums