Windows 10: Edge browser can't access LOCALHOST type of IP addresses (build 10122 Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    22 May 2015 #1

    Edge browser can't access LOCALHOST type of IP addresses (build 10122


    Hi there

    same problem with EDGE (the new browser) - can't access localhost type of addresses. I use several media servers with Web interface for controls etc.

    Get around - use loopback adapter -- but why should I -- Chrome / FF / IE all work still).

    I don't want to use different browsers for different applications.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails local2.png   local1.png  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    22 May 2015 #2

    Why do you keep creating new posts about this for every new release? This is not something that's going to change, it's an inherent security feature of Universal applications that they can't access localhost, and Edge is a Universal application.

    I repeat. This isn't going to change.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    22 May 2015 #3

    Mystere said: View Post
    Why do you keep creating new posts about this for every new release? This is not something that's going to change, it's an inherent security feature of Universal applications that they can't access localhost, and Edge is a Universal application.

    I repeat. This isn't going to change.
    Hi there

    I must then have mis-understood the whole idea of the Edge Browser -- We were led to believe that IE will be replaced by Edge -- if that is indeed the case then for some people they won't have access to a properly fully functional browser.

    So what IS Ms's intention regarding the future of IE -- is it to be retained or to be replaced.

    That's where my confusion is coming from -- if IE IS to be retained then OK I'll do WITHOUT edge -- but if IE is going to be replaced then I want a browser that doesn't LIMIT the functionality I already have.

    If EDGE won't handle LOCALHOST -- then that's fine so long as alternatives are available -- the mis-understanding came from the fact that I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) who thought that Ms was giving up on IE which would be replaced by EDGE.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    22 May 2015 #4

    Does it make any difference if you put your local IP in instead of using localhost

    for accessing my media servers I use http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx, or does this just auto translate to localhost when entered
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    22 May 2015 #5

    Hi there

    the addresses 127.0.0.1 don't work either -- the only way around the whole problem is to use some type of loopback adapter if you must use edge.

    I'm sure this restriction will be of significance to some users -- I don't know about "Universal Apps" or whatever they call it now but surely some type of firewall or other config setting could fix this problem. I have several media servers all controlled via a WEB interface.


    cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    22 May 2015 #6

    I think that if someone is going to test Edge for a website that they could have a hosing service to set the site up on and use that to test it out?? Since Edge is an app and not a pure browser I don't know it the local hose option will ever be available.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    22 May 2015 #7

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    the addresses 127.0.0.1 don't work either -- the only way around the whole problem is to use some type of loopback adapter if you must use edge.

    I'm sure this restriction will be of significance to some users -- I don't know about "Universal Apps" or whatever they call it now but surely some type of firewall or other config setting could fix this problem. I have several media servers all controlled via a WEB interface.


    cheers
    jimbo
    I was meaning the actual IP address of your machine with the media server on it, even if your are on the machine

    eg
    http://192.168.0.10:8960
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    22 May 2015 #8

    paulsalter said: View Post
    I was meaning the actual IP address of your machine with the media server on it, even if your are on the machine

    eg
    http://192.168.0.10:8960
    Hi there

    No go I'm afraid. Same error

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails local3.png  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    22 May 2015 #9

    That's a shame

    I will have the same problem as you with Edge as that's how I access my media browsers
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    22 May 2015 #10

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    I must then have mis-understood the whole idea of the Edge Browser -- We were led to believe that IE will be replaced by Edge -- if that is indeed the case then for some people they won't have access to a properly fully functional browser.

    So what IS Ms's intention regarding the future of IE -- is it to be retained or to be replaced.

    That's where my confusion is coming from -- if IE IS to be retained then OK I'll do WITHOUT edge -- but if IE is going to be replaced then I want a browser that doesn't LIMIT the functionality I already have.

    If EDGE won't handle LOCALHOST -- then that's fine so long as alternatives are available -- the mis-understanding came from the fact that I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) who thought that Ms was giving up on IE which would be replaced by EDGE.
    IE will not be going away, at least any time soon. Edge is an entirely standards compliant browser, and has *zero* backwards compatibility for older browser support, as such IE will be required to be around as a backup for some time to come for sites that just won't work with a fully standards compliant browser with no backwards compatibility.

    Edge will be the default browser, by default. But IE is still there, it's just hidden away in the start menu.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi there Edge has been modified so you CAN set it to access local host type of sites (at least in build 10240). This was mentioned a while ago but just as a reminder -- many people have servers etc that have a web interface with a localhost or...
I have used Opera for my browser for some time. What I really like about it is being able to open the browser with the Speed Dial page showing. Makes it extremely easy to select where you wish to go next from the icons shown on the page, along...
Solved Edge Browser in Browsers and Email
How do I download & install the Edge Browser? Tully
Hi there The new browser (build 10074) can't resolve addresses like localhost or things like 127.0.0.1:9000 (my music server). Is there a way to make IE11 the default browser again. The music server when web control is activated fills in...
Try to use Spartan browser on Win10 build 10056 to access my home Router but unfortunately it canot pop up the login page.so I cannot do any configuration with my router when use Spartan browser. does anyone meet the same problem? thanks.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:40.
Find Us