Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    31 Aug 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    UK
    Posts : 270
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit (with Creators OS)

    Mailbird (email): 1 per month for pro version?!


    I am trying Mailbird. I like it. However, the free trial (of the full version) expires soon and the continuation of the full version costs $1 per month, 12 months payable in advance by various routes including Paypal.

    This seems odd. Why bother with such a small sum. What's the catch?

    (Admittedly, 12 from, say, 10,000 users is 120,000 per year, a useful sum for a few nights out.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    31 Aug 2016 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10 64bit

    I've never used it. I've been using Thunderbird for years, and it's free. Does what I want.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    01 Sep 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    UK
    Posts : 270
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit (with Creators OS)
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Odos270 View Post
    I've never used it. I've been using Thunderbird for years, and it's free. Does what I want.
    Yes, I used Thunderbird until a year ago but changed to gmail (using Google's browser as the front end). The Thunderbird sites strongly imply that T'bird was no longer being maintained. Mailbird is simple and has a clean interface. It works with gmail. I like it. It has a similar interface as Apple's Mail.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    01 Sep 2016 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 824
    Win10/64 Pro 1511 (and 2 Win 7/64 Ult & Pro systems)

    Hi, @Stevekir:

    The Thunderbird sites strongly imply that T'bird was no longer being maintained.
    Where did you hear that?

    A new version was released just 2 days ago.
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde.../releasenotes/

    Active, independent, user-to-user community still going strong.
    (Support at Mozilla.org has never been as robust as that for Firefox, but that is not new.)

    Having said that, it's true the TB is no longer a very high priority at Mozilla. But there are still many, many users.
    If Mozilla eventually loses interest, I expect (but cannot guarantee) that someone else will pick it up.

    Cheers,
    MM
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    01 Sep 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    UK
    Posts : 270
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit (with Creators OS)
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by MoxieMomma View Post
    Hi, @Stevekir:



    Where did you hear that?

    A new version was released just 2 days ago.
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde.../releasenotes/

    Active, independent, user-to-user community still going strong.
    (Support at Mozilla.org has never been as robust as that for Firefox, but that is not new.)

    Having said that, it's true the TB is no longer a very high priority at Mozilla. But there are still many, many users.
    If Mozilla eventually loses interest, I expect (but cannot guarantee) that someone else will pick it up.

    Cheers,
    MM
    Perhaps my "not being maintained" was a bit too strong.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Thunderbird

    " At the same time, it was announced that Mozilla Foundation will provide at least a temporary legal and financial home for the Thunderbird project.
    [17]"

    I can't remember the source of the following:

    "Having said that, it's true the TB is no longer a very high priority at Mozilla. But there are still many, many users.
    If Mozilla eventually loses interest, I expect (but cannot guarantee) that someone else will pick it up."

    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=366405

    This refers to T'bird "not being dead".

    Also, I found T'bird over-complex for my simple needs.

      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    08 Sep 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 39
    windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevekir View Post
    I am trying Mailbird. I like it. However, the free trial (of the full version) expires soon and the continuation of the full version costs $1 per month, 12 months payable in advance by various routes including Paypal.

    This seems odd. Why bother with such a small sum. What's the catch?

    (Admittedly, 12 from, say, 10,000 users is 120,000 per year, a useful sum for a few nights out.)
    I run Mailbird & IMO it's excellent. Started off with free version but as it's limited to 2 accounts (& I have 6). I sse no catch.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    08 Sep 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    UK
    Posts : 270
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit (with Creators OS)
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA23 View Post
    I run Mailbird & IMO it's excellent. Started off with free version but as it's limited to 2 accounts (& I have 6). I see no catch.
    Me too. I have three accounts. After a week of using Mailbird I really like it. It does everything I want and is so easy to use.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    08 Sep 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    FWIW, I found that Em Client to be a great third party email tool.

    Link: eM Client | Best Email Client for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10


    Free and pro versions are available.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    08 Sep 2016 #9

    Why would you pay for an email client when there are so many free ones available. There are a couple of paid clients such as The Bat! and PostBox, neither of which I have understood a paid model.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    08 Sep 2016 #10
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 39
    windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
    Why would you pay for an email client when there are so many free ones available. There are a couple of paid clients such as The Bat! and PostBox, neither of which I have understood a paid model.
    Personal choice.
    Oh yes, there's plenty of free stuff out there & not all of it blasts you with ads & pop-ups etc but I think if a bunch of people produce some decent software that I like then I'm prepared to pay them something for their time.
    Furthermore it's only 12 a year - not a great amount for what it does & also (and this is in no way directed at you or anyone else) it makes me feel less of a cheapskate
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows Live Mail only searching email subjects, not email contents
I didn't notice this before today. I'm running the 64 bit version of Windows 10 Pro, fully up to date, as well as the latest version of Windows Live Mail. I have a bunch of storage folders that I've created for email, so my actual inboxes are pretty...
Browsers and Email
3rd BSOD in a month
Hello. Last night I received my 3rd blue screen error in about a month. That one and the previous one said "system service exception (netio.sys)." I forget if the first time this happened the error listed the same. Anyway, here's my log file...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
24 BSODs in 1 month
Lots of BSODs and I'm tearing my hair out. Please help! If someone can look through and give me some clues, that would be great. 1. I've tested memory with memtest so far 2. HDD with chkdsk / HDD tune etc 3. Checked internal cabling, everything...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Insider version 14251 email printing
I have installed the update on Friday and could not print emails from Windows Live Mail or any other free similar software. Meanwhile all other printing including weblinked worked normally. Returned back to the previous Windows10 v 10586.71...
Browsers and Email
Solved Display Name is My Email (Email shown twice on Login screen)
Hello, I upgraded to Win10 recently and I have an issue that I was only able to find two insiders had in the past with no resolution. I previously had Windows 8.1 and did an upgrade to 10 on both my laptop and my desktop. The problem I'm having...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:24.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums