Windows 10: Get Existing Outlook and Folders From One Laptop To Another

  1.    24 Aug 2016 #1

    Get Existing Outlook and Folders From One Laptop To Another


    I'm trying to help out a friend who just bought a new Windows 10 laptop. His old laptop was also W10 (upgraded from W7), and although his email was from the phone company, he hated the way they had it laid out, so he used Outlook. He had pared his Outlook mail down to a few hundred he wanted to save, and he'd also created many folders in Outlook to easily access emails he's saved to those folders.

    Now after setting up his new laptop, going into Outlook, entering his email address and password and letting it configure his Outlook mail, his inbox just keeps loading and loading. We finally killed the task after we saw it go over 5000 emails.

    Is there any way to get just what he has on his old laptop to the new laptop?

    And while those thousands of emails were populating the inbox of his new Outlook, we noticed that none of the folders he'd created on Outlook on the old laptop were showing up in the new Outlook.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 11,233
    W10Prox64
       25 Aug 2016 #2

    Hi.
    Outlook saves everything in a PST/OST file (PST if you're using POP, and OST if you're using IMAP).
    Here is some reading for you:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/287070
    Where is My PST File and How Can I Move It Somewhere Else?
    It's a bit of a pain, but it can be done. (So much easier using web-based email...)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    02 Sep 2016 #3

    What a MASSIVE pain in the butt!!!!

    First of all, the old laptop was accessing Outlook through a shortcut desktop icon. That icon took him to Outlook as a part of MS Office. The new laptop does not have Office (and he can't find the disk). The only Outlook on the new laptop is the one accessed from a link on the upper left hand corner of the msn.com web page. THAT Outlook - and I really don't understand the difference. Maybe someone could explain it to me - brings up his gmail account.

    So on his old laptop he'd set up MS Office Outlook to display his email from his ISP. That's the email he wants on his new laptop.

    While on his new laptop he set up MSN's Outlook (and AIAS I dunno the difference) to display his gmail. Now he can display his gmail directly on the new laptop - he's okay with that. But I don't know how to get his MS Office Outlook email on his new laptop. His original ISP email has 7000+ emails which he'd reduced to a few hundred on the old laptop's Outlook.

    On his old laptop I created a backup PST file by exporting his data to a thumb drive. But Outlook on the new laptop (from msn) doesn't seem to allow me to import anything but favorites and cookies and something else.

    So I still don't know what to do....
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 11,233
    W10Prox64
       03 Sep 2016 #4

    boweasel said: View Post
    What a MASSIVE pain in the butt!!!!

    First of all, the old laptop was accessing Outlook through a shortcut desktop icon. That icon took him to Outlook as a part of MS Office. The new laptop does not have Office (and he can't find the disk). The only Outlook on the new laptop is the one accessed from a link on the upper left hand corner of the msn.com web page. THAT Outlook - and I really don't understand the difference. Maybe someone could explain it to me - brings up his gmail account.

    So on his old laptop he'd set up MS Office Outlook to display his email from his ISP. That's the email he wants on his new laptop.

    While on his new laptop he set up MSN's Outlook (and AIAS I dunno the difference) to display his gmail. Now he can display his gmail directly on the new laptop - he's okay with that. But I don't know how to get his MS Office Outlook email on his new laptop. His original ISP email has 7000+ emails which he'd reduced to a few hundred on the old laptop's Outlook.

    On his old laptop I created a backup PST file by exporting his data to a thumb drive. But Outlook on the new laptop (from msn) doesn't seem to allow me to import anything but favorites and cookies and something else.

    So I still don't know what to do....
    Yes, it's a pain when using email clients....

    You should be able to download an Office install by going here and inputting the product key:
    Manage, Download, Backup, Restore Microsoft Office Products

    If you can get Office on the new lappy, you can import the PST file. So, see if this works. Also, you can have Outlook grab more than one email address, so adding gmail shouldn't be a problem.

    (Yes, the Office Online Outlook email client is different than the installed version.)

    Here's anothe link that may help:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/302822
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    03 Sep 2016 #5

    Just take the pst file from the old computer and put it in the directory he wants to use in the new computer. Replacing the existing pst in its location makes sense (after making a backup copy of the new pst). If outlook doesn't open it automatically, just tell it to open the file (file tab => open and export => open outlook file). If you end up with two outlook files open, go into file => info => account settings => data files tab. Select the desired pst and make it the default. You can delete unwanted files from here. You can also just close the other file from outlook and leave it where it is on the disk.

    As far as retreiving the mail with the new outlook, it sees all the mail on the server as new mail and will download it. If he has all the mail he needs in the local pst file, he could delete mail from the server. He could also try moving mail to a folder on the server that mail is not retrieved from if he wants to preserve it there.

    This may not be complete, but hopefully gets you closer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    04 Sep 2016 #6

    So it sounds like, even though Microsoft is somehow replacing Outlook with Outlook.com, if I want Outlook's emails to show up on another laptop we'd still have to purchase MS Office (since we have no idea where the original CD or product key are)?

    Is that right?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    04 Sep 2016 #7

    boweasel said: View Post
    So it sounds like, even though Microsoft is somehow replacing Outlook with Outlook.com, if I want Outlook's emails to show up on another laptop we'd still have to purchase MS Office (since we have no idea where the original CD or product key are)?

    Is that right?
    That may be what you will have to do. You could check with MS to see if anything was registered with them for the existing installation of outlook/office but, short of that, without the product key, no way to authenticate it with MS. Although, there should be a way to get the product key from the installed version. Help => about or somewhere in the options. I have Office 2016, so it is a different system now and can't look to see on my installation.

    Try here: Find your Office product key - Office Support
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 11,233
    W10Prox64
       04 Sep 2016 #8

    boweasel said: View Post
    So it sounds like, even though Microsoft is somehow replacing Outlook with Outlook.com, if I want Outlook's emails to show up on another laptop we'd still have to purchase MS Office (since we have no idea where the original CD or product key are)?

    Is that right?
    Did you see my link in Post #4? That has downloads available for Office by putting in your Office key. Then you can install Office on the new laptop, and remove it from the old one.

    Run Belarc Advisor (free) on the old system with Office installed. If it's an older version of Office, Belarc will give you your key. If it's a newer version of Office, you would have registered online with an MS account in order to install it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    04 Sep 2016 #9

    I remember reading some time ago that the Outlook component of MS Office was going to be free. Vaguely recalling that, I told my friend that I could get his MS Outlook onto the new laptop.

    Days later I've decided not to spend another hour (beyond the several that I've already wasted) simply to do a favor for someone who's done nothing for me beyond drink my beer. I'm sorry that I apparently misread the original article, sorry that the hours I've already spent on this yielded nothing, sorry that Microsoft care very little for anything but the almighty dollar, and sorry for wasting anyone's time here.

    He has access to his ISP's email account on the new laptop. He'll just have to delete again the thousands he'd already deleted on Outlook. And he'll have to live without those folders that he'd set up on MS Outlook. I'm done jumping through Micro$oft hoops.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Not about Windows 10 but about Outlook 2010 desktop application. My apologise if this is not the right board to post this but do not know where else to post about Outlook 2010 desktop application. :o Just received email from Microsoft informing me...
My employer (School Board) requested all staff laptops be returned over summer so the OS could be upgraded from Win 7 Enterprise, so I did an export of my Outlook 2010 file to work on from home- they now want all Outlook profiles below 50 MB. My...
Hi, Another day with Windows 10 and another new problem lol. Using Outlook 2013 or 2016 in Windows 10 I have found it is not possible to send e-mails from an Outlook.com account. I have tried using ActiveSync and SMTP which do authenticate...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:03.
Find Us