Windows 10: Synching Mail with Gmail
Synching Mail with Gmail
Added my gmail account to mail and mostly it works. But, some synching issues:
1. When first starting mail, it takes far too long to first sync inbox, even manually - like 1 min, even though settings are set to sync as mail arrives. It is quicker to go on the net and open gmail, which defeats the point.
2. When first linking to gmail account, I have multiple sub-folders under some parent folders that need to be synched. Select a parent folder, select synch, wait 5-10 minutes while it is 'synching', finishes but no sub-folders synched.
3. So now have to go to each sub-folder one by one and run manual sync, even though my settings say to sync mail from anytime. So for around 50 sub-folders at 5 min each it takes hours manually synching each folder. Worse still, after the sync has run, the mail settings dialog box opens and requires a 'Save' or 'Cancel' command, either of which takes yet another 5mins or so! And worse still, sometimes after all this, the mail still does not appear in the folder, so I have to repeat the whole process again, and then it arrives.
Help! Is there anyway to batch sync all the mail folders in one go, otherwise I'll be at it for days.
And how can I get the inbox to sync as soon as I open mail, not 5 mins later?l
I have been using Gmail in the W10 Mail app and tend to agree that the synching of folders is not working as well as it should. What I find is that when the PC is first turned on it does take a long time before the mail program is up to speed. If your habit is to turn on your PC and immediately want emails then use the Gmail website - it is much faster. However, I now turn on my PC and do other things for about 15mins or so and at that point the Mail app has already finished synching in the background before I even open it up. Emails are all there ready to be read. For the rest of the day it works fine, whether open or closed, with all new emails appearing as they arrive (as set in the settings) either in the app or in the notification area if I had closed the app.
Although I have sub-folders I have only chosen to sync a few of them so I can't really comment on this aspect. If I need to search through emails I find the web version is much better - in fact Gmail search is so good you can store masses of emails in one folder and always find what you want.
The Mail app in my view is just for convenience and I have added several emails accounts to it just to have one place where I can see them all arriving. In most cases the app is perfectly fine for dealing with the replies or deleting things I don't need. As I use IMAP everything is replicated and kept up to date so my other methods of reading emails all mirror each other.
Thanks philc43. That is pretty much my experience and conclusion. I finally got all folders synced, but now when trying to open a pdf attachment in a mail, the Mail app crashes.
So gmail it is, which works great, even in Edge. Windows Mail is out - a waste of time. My Windows phone mail app works better!
i have to preserve mail messages on the server because i help people not too experts and i don't want they accidentally loose something, so...
- tried to use pop3, as in live mail, but after a refresh the previously downloaded messages just...
Having got all of my standard stuff, including having MS Outlook handle my email accounts, sorted out; I decided to give the new Windows 10 Mail Application a try.
Unfortunately I cannot get it to do a darned thing:-
1. With my Hotmail account I...
I opened Gmail from inside Chrome, and deleted an email. Then opened Windows 10 Mail and the email is still in my inbox?
I've clicked the sync icon in mail, but that didn't work.
I have 2 accounts set up to the mail/calendar app. My email (outlook) and my wife (gmail) and I can get/send emails but my wife gmail doesn't work. Anyone know of a workaround?
I have a microsoft account, that is registered to my gmail; That is the username is firstname.lastname@example.org. When attempting to use the mail service in windows 10, that mail is already registered as an account. It reads " System error, can't get mail ", and...