Windows 10: Mail App Wont Open Solved

  1.    06 Apr 2016 #1

    Mail App Wont Open


    Has windows 10 mail app going for 4 weeks, but today I cannot even open it.
    I see a windows try to open then closes quickly.

    I've uninstalled using powershell then reinstalled from the windows 10 store, but same problem.

    any ideas?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 4,767
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       06 Apr 2016 #2

    Suggestions :

    1. Do a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.
    2. If system file check does not fix the problem, do a Repair Install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 4,767
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       06 Apr 2016 #3

    System File check :
    Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

    > press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.


    Please post back the result.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 4,767
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       06 Apr 2016 #4
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    06 Apr 2016 #5

    davidhk said: View Post
    System File check :
    Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

    > press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.


    Please post back the result.
    I ran the sfc/scannow it did not find any errors.
    As to your second method, that seems like a lot of work with warnings and such
    I just don't think it's worth it and possibly cause more troubles.

    I've not had a good excperince now on two different machines with win 10, maybe some update will come along and fix
    this issue and several others I've encountered.

    Thank you for responding!.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 4,767
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       06 Apr 2016 #6

    msny said: View Post
    Has windows 10 mail app going for 4 weeks, but today I cannot even open it.
    I see a windows try to open then closes quickly.

    I've uninstalled using powershell then reinstalled from the windows 10 store, but same problem.

    any ideas?
    My last bag of tricks.............
    Do a system restore. Pick a date when Mail app was working as your restore point.
    System Restore Windows 10

    P.S. I have a much more simpler way to do Repair Install.
    If system restore does nothing to help, and if you still want to try Repair Install, let me know.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    08 Apr 2016 #7

    Well, this is mysterious?
    I did nothing to fix this, so maybe an update came along?

    I ran the mail app and it started this morning.
    It is asking for me to setup my account credentials again, but go figure, its weird.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 4,767
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       08 Apr 2016 #8

    msny said: View Post
    Well, this is mysterious?
    I did nothing to fix this, so maybe an update came along?

    I ran the mail app and it started this morning.
    It is asking for me to setup my account credentials again, but go figure, its weird.
    Another Windows 10 mystery.

    At least you are now back in business.
    Happy computing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    09 Apr 2016 #9

    davidhk said: View Post
    Another Windows 10 mystery.

    At least you are now back in business.
    Happy computing.
    I appreciate your help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
So I added my outlook account to the Windows 10 mail app. I can get mail on my iPhone and thru the outlook site in the Edge browser, BUT the mail app wont let me log in, wont let me delete the account (it says "something went wrong" and wont sync...
Windows Store Wont Open in Software and Apps
Hi, I cant seem to get my Windows store to open. My install is about a day old, and was a clean install. When I click the store icon I get a brief view of it loading and then it disappears. I've tried going to my app data and deleting the...
Solved Settings wont change/open in Software and Apps
I just finished a fresh install after going through several BSOD (which have now been corrected). I'm trying to change the settings and I can't changed date/time nor can I access the settings( Start>Settings). When I try and change the settings or...
start menu wont open? in General Support
why wont the start menu open?
Help how do i change this back as i inadvertently clicked the box that popped up and forgot to uncheck make default open with for all email links, now when i click on a link it opens mail on win ten, how to change that help appreciated please.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02.
Find Us