Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    22 Mar 2016 #1
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10 Pro

    Can't Open Links from MS Outlook


    Had no problem until today. IE11 is my default browser. Get this message when I click on a link in MS Outlook:

    You'll Need a New App to
    Open this HTTPs.
    Look for App in The Store

    Any ideas?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    22 Mar 2016 #2
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,814
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Suggestions :

    1. Do a system restore. Pick a date you did NOT have this problem as your restore point.
    System Restore Windows 10

    2. If the above does not help, go to Programs and Features > scroll down to Microsoft office > right click at it > click Change > click Repair.

    3. Use this tutorial
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

    Select Option Two > at the File type or protocol table, scroll down to HTTP > click the http link > follow the steps #1 to step #7.
    Make sure you restart the computer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    22 Mar 2016 #3
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    Suggestions :

    1. Do a system restore. Pick a date you did NOT have this problem as your restore point.
    System Restore Windows 10

    2. If the above does not help, go to Programs and Features > scroll down to Microsoft office > right click at it > click Change > click Repair.

    3. Use this tutorial
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

    Select Option Two > at the File type or protocol table, scroll down to HTTP > click the http link > follow the steps #1 to step #7.
    Make sure you restart the computer.
    OK. Got it working but now it's opening to MS Edge. I prefer IE11. Tried resetting defaults and associations but can't get urls, etc to open into IE11.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    22 Mar 2016 #4
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,814
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Right click at Start button > Control Panel > top right, click View by > select either large or small > Default Programs > Set your default programs > wait for loading > click at Internet Explorer > right side, click Set this program as default > click OK when done.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IE as default.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	70998
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    23 Mar 2016 #5
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    Right click at Start button > Control Panel > top right, click View by > select either large or small > Default Programs > Set your default programs > wait for loading > click at Internet Explorer > right side, click Set this program as default > click OK when done.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IE as default.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	70998
    Tried that but it only gets me to the original problem:

    [B]You'll Need a New App to
    Open this HTTPs
    Look for App in The Store

    As I now recall, clicking a link in Outlook use to bring up a box offering which browser to use - IE or Edge. That's
    now gone.

    PS: In "Settings/Default Apps, there's an option "Web Browser - Choose a default. Clicking it gives me this message:

    There is no installed app for this type of file or protocol. Look for an app in the app store.

    Checked W10 running on my laptop and the Settings/Default apps/Web browser did offer a choice of Edge or IE.
    Last edited by capri3156; 23 Mar 2016 at 06:36. Reason: More Info
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    23 Mar 2016 #6
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,814
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    ....................Tried that but it only gets me to the original problem:

    [B]You'll Need a New App to
    Open this HTTPs
    Look for App in The Store
    ............................................................................................

    Have you tried Suggestion #3 from post #2 ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    23 Mar 2016 #7
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Yes, tried them all. Seems to me that there's a W10 problem with my desktop. As I mentioned, my laptop is OK in that it does offer browser options in Settings/Default apps while the desktop does not. I may try a clean install of course after a create a new image.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    23 Mar 2016 #8
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,814
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Please post back the result of clean install.
    Good luck.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    23 Mar 2016 #9
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    Please post back the result of clean install.
    Good luck.
    That did it. I now at least get a choice of browsers when clicking on a link in Outlook. Being able to "Clean Install" without losing any apps or settings is a real blessing. "Settings/Default apps" again offers a choice for the default browser.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    23 Mar 2016 #10
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,814
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Quote Originally Posted by capri3156 View Post
    That did it. I now at least get a choice of browsers when clicking on a link in Outlook. Being able to "Clean Install" without losing any apps or settings is a real blessing. "Settings/Default apps" again offers a choice for the default browser.
    To be honest. I don't think you did a "clean install", because as the name implies, clean install will not let you keep anything.
    I think you did a repair/in-place install ?
    Show me the tutorial you used, if you don't mind.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Outlook 2010 truncates links when using IE as default browser
Since upgrading to Windows 10 - When I set IE as my defaultbrowser and click on a link in Outlook 2010 some links will open and some ofthe longer links (more than approximately 25 characters give or take) aretruncated. So IE only sees part of the...
Browsers and Email
Solved New Problem - Outlook 2010 Links Not Opening
Sorry, I searched but did not see another thread on this topic. This just started today, maybe after a reboot. Up until today, when I clicked on a hyper link in an email, the link location would open in Firefox, my default browser. Now all of a...
Browsers and Email
"Sharing" links with Outlook 2010
So I've upgraded to Windows 10 successfully and everything seems to be working properly (except Cortana, but that's deliberate.) One annoyance I'm experiencing is that while the various built-in Modern/Metro apps have a "Share" button, Outlook 2010...
Software and Apps
Open Pin to Start links in new Edge window instead of tab
I have a lot of Web Page applications that I use for my job. For each webpage I do a "Pin to Start" which creates a quick link from the start menu. With IE each of these links would open in a new window, but with Edge they open in a new tab on...
Browsers and Email
Outlook 2010 Keeps Asking How to Open Email Web Links
After the upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Outlook 2010 keeps asking how to open web links embedded in email messages. I select Internet Explore (not Microsoft Edge) and check "Always Use this App" but each time I get the prompt. Does anyone...
Browsers and Email
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums