1.    11 Feb 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 1,293
    Windows 10 and windows insider

    I cannot get Internet explorer to work


    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    Good! Glad to hear.
    I successfully installed 14257; however, I have nothing but problems with it. I cannot get Internet explorer to work. It freezes up, cannot use the back or forward arrow, cannot change addresses, and at one time I received an error message saying something about a Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error message. I looked in my installed application files, Visual C++ is there, I ran a 'repair' on it, and the repair reported it installed without problems. I also cannot open most of the windows applications (Edge, Feedback, etc) then I cannot open any applications as the 'window' button freezes up. I have been able to run sfc /scannow, which reports no issues found and all system files are intact. I am destined to scrap the insider preview on this computer. It works on my laptop but the laptop is too slow and cumbersome to use. Any suggestions?
    Oh yes, while Internet explorer will not work, it does open and I can view web pages but only those that are already on MSN (my home page). I cannot resize IE, nor can I move it anywhere else on the desktop.
    __________
    Update:
    I went to Microsoft, downloaded Visual Studio C++ for Windows 10 that didn't get installed. The install seems to have corrected my problems. I can now open IE, EDGE, Feedback, and my start button works again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    11 Feb 2016 #2
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    Floyd, VA
    Posts : 1,175
    Triple Boot Windows 10 IP Build 17046/Windows Server 2016/Debian Sid

    Where are the new preview builds?


    New builds were promised more often on the Fast ring but there haven't been any for the last two weeks. Hopefullyu something new will appear as Build 14257 is starting to get very slow and I might have to start over with the RTM release of 1511.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    11 Feb 2016 #3
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,629
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by martyfelker View Post
    New builds were promised more often on the Fast ring but there haven't been any for the last two weeks. Hopefullyu something new will appear as Build 14257 is starting to get very slow and I might have to start over with the RTM release of 1511.
    Little confused. 14257 was released last Wednesday,2/03/16. You state no new builds for last 2 weeks. 14251 was out on 26th or 27th. If you're running a "slow" 14257, where did you get it if you haven't gotten any new builds in last 2 weeks??
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    11 Feb 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 1,293
    Windows 10 and windows insider
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by magilla View Post
    I successfully installed 14257; however, I have nothing but problems with it. I cannot get Internet explorer to work. It freezes up, cannot use the back or forward arrow, cannot change addresses, and at one time I received an error message saying something about a Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error message. I looked in my installed application files, Visual C++ is there, I ran a 'repair' on it, and the repair reported it installed without problems. I also cannot open most of the windows applications (Edge, Feedback, etc) then I cannot open any applications as the 'window' button freezes up. I have been able to run sfc /scannow, which reports no issues found and all system files are intact. I am destined to scrap the insider preview on this computer. It works on my laptop but the laptop is too slow and cumbersome to use. Any suggestions?
    Oh yes, while Internet explorer will not work, it does open and I can view web pages but only those that are already on MSN (my home page). I cannot resize IE, nor can I move it anywhere else on the desktop.
    __________
    Update:
    I went to Microsoft, downloaded Visual Studio C++ for Windows 10 that didn't get installed. The install seems to have corrected my problems. I can now open IE, EDGE, Feedback, and my start button works again.
    Never mind. It is not repaired. Edge Works, then freezes, IE works, then freezes. Weather page doesn't work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    11 Feb 2016 #5
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,629
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by magilla View Post
    Never mind. It is not repaired. Edge Works, then freezes, IE works, then freezes. Weather page doesn't work.
    Magilla, I'm not quite sure what to say. You did an in-place upgrade to 14257. There may be issues there that weren't present before and you may need to clean install. I know, that can be painful. But as a last resort, it's really all that's left. I'm not familiar with customized gaming computers and don't know if there may be some hiding conflicts. Sorry. TC
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    11 Feb 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 1,293
    Windows 10 and windows insider
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    Magilla, I'm not quite sure what to say. You did an in-place upgrade to 14257. There may be issues there that weren't present before and you may need to clean install. I know, that can be painful. But as a last resort, it's really all that's left. I'm not familiar with customized gaming computers and don't know if there may be some hiding conflicts. Sorry. TC
    I've been running insider builds on this computer since January. Never been an issue. It is a gaming computer or in that it came from iBuyPower but has never been used as a gaming computer and runs Win 8.1, Windows 10 public released version, and has all along. That is what is so puzzling. I have checked out hardware and have no hardware issues reported by operating system diagnostics.
    One other thing I have noticed, the mouse and keyboard are Logitech wireless. The driver for them is missing, I have tried to get the system to rescan for mouse/keyboard to no avail. Interestingly, the keyboard is a solar keyboard and its solar application is present on the computer and reports its status. I am not able to get the menu from the right mouse click on the system icons, those that are on the start menu or those on the taskbar. Very puzzling.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Internet Explorer 11
Internet explorer 11 will not open, did an upgrade from 8.1 to 10 home edition. I have run a repair install & dism /restorehealth , unchecked ie 11 in programs & features rebooted and still nothing need help.
Browsers and Email
Internet says it is connected but won't work
Summary: My windows 10 computer says the network has internet access, but I can't actually access anything on the internet. I know the internet is working because I have multiple other devices connecting, including a windows 7 computer. The computer...
Network and Sharing
How Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10 work better
Source: How Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10 work better together in the Enterprise | Microsoft Edge Dev Blog
Windows 10 News
Help doesn't work without internet
In Windows 7 I could press F1 with the desktop selected and would get help. If I do this in Windows 10 without the internet connected, I just get a screen saying "Get connected to the Internet". This is crazy - there's lots of times when I am...
General Support
Internet does not work on new build
Installed Win 10 technical preview and my Internet Explorer does not work. Message saying :Cannot find Cloud drive".
Browsers and Email
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:12.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums