Windows 10: Windows 10 Mail app not automatically syncing email. Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    24 Jan 2016 #1

    Windows 10 Mail app not automatically syncing email.


    Hi,

    I hope someone can help with this problem.

    The Mail app is no longer syncing my email automatically. I have to open the app and click the sync button manually for email to update.

    I see the app no longer runs in the background as it did when I first upgraded to Windows 10.

    Is there a fix for this? And if not, is there an alternative mail client that you recommend that will run in the background and sync emails?

    Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,901
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       24 Jan 2016 #2

    Fiasco said: View Post
    Hi,

    I hope someone can help with this problem.

    The Mail app is no longer syncing my email automatically. I have to open the app and click the sync button manually for email to update.

    I see the app no longer runs in the background as it did when I first upgraded to Windows 10.

    Is there a fix for this? And if not, is there an alternative mail client that you recommend that will run in the background and sync emails?

    Thanks.
    The Windows 10 Mail App seems to be quite different from Windows Live Mail, Vista's Windows Mail, Outlook Express, etc. So far I've only set up Microsoft's Outlook [part of Office] on Windows 10 computers but have read of some difficulties using Win10 Mail, in particular Importing of older messages.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 4,771
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       24 Jan 2016 #3

    I wouldn't even waste my time on the Mail app.

    I have been using WLM since the days of Win 7 and I have a POP email account and a Hotmail account configured in it.

    If one is using a web-based email account such as Outlook.com (aka Hotmail.com), one is better off go online to Hotmail > sign in > right click at the Inbox page > click Create shortcut > that will put a shortcut at the desktop.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    24 Jan 2016 #4

    So it isn't just me having issues with Windows Mail I see.

    I have several IMAP accounts, some are work server emails and some are Gmail accounts.

    The Mail app in Win8.1 used to handle these with no problem.

    I tried setting up Office Outlook 2016, but that's it's own mountain of headaches. I also tried Thunderbird but couldn't get it to run in the background.

    I will try WLM. Any other alternatives?

    Thanks again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    24 Jan 2016 #5

    I came across Mailbird and it looks like it'll do for my needs. Trying out the demo now and so far it starts up when Windows boots and runs in the background. I'll see how it runs over the next few days before I decide if it's worth the purchase.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 3,857
    Mac OS Sierra
       24 Jan 2016 #6

    The Windows mail app is a piece of garbage. Use Thunderbird for email.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    24 Jan 2016 #7

    bro67 said: View Post
    The Windows mail app is a piece of garbage. Use Thunderbird for email.
    I did try Thunderbird. Couldn't get it to run in the background. I could only get mail notifications if I opened the app.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 3,857
    Mac OS Sierra
       25 Jan 2016 #8

    Fiasco said: View Post
    I came across Mailbird and it looks like it'll do for my needs. Trying out the demo now and so far it starts up when Windows boots and runs in the background. I'll see how it runs over the next few days before I decide if it's worth the purchase.
    .Net and the program has only been out for at the most, 2 years for the mainstream. I will pass and stick with Thunderbird. Nothing wrong with the interface if you know how to organize the icons on you like them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 3,857
    Mac OS Sierra
       25 Jan 2016 #9

    Fiasco said: View Post
    I did try Thunderbird. Couldn't get it to run in the background. I could only get mail notifications if I opened the app.
    Then you are doing something wrong. If you set the SMTP retrieval times correctly, along with keeping it in an online status, even though it is minimized. It will continue to run in the background.

    You are doing something wrong if you are stating that it does not work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    25 Jan 2016 #10

    Fiasco said: View Post
    I did try Thunderbird. Couldn't get it to run in the background. I could only get mail notifications if I opened the app.
    You need to install the 'minimise to tray' addon. Thunderbird will then close to the tray rather than shutdown. It will continue to sync and notify while sitting in the tray out of the way.

    EM Client is another good alternative.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
I didn't notice this before today. I'm running the 64 bit version of Windows 10 Pro, fully up to date, as well as the latest version of Windows Live Mail. I have a bunch of storage folders that I've created for email, so my actual inboxes are pretty...
When I used to turn my computer on or wake it up from when it was sleeping, it used to sync my emails in the Windows 10 Mail app every time. Now it doesn't sync anymore. Can anyone tell me what I can do to fix it?
Hey guys, I am enjoying Windows 10! for the most part.... Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro does fine. Core i7-4500U 256 SSD 8 GB or RAM This may be more of a networking issue and how the Mail App communicates over the network. I am not able to sync any...
I am trying to help my pa set up a new linx 1010 tablet. I have linked the main email account but the two secondary accounts have a warning symbol and 'require attention'. When you select the account it says 'still working on it' but nothing seems...
Hi All, I opened Gmail from inside Chrome, and deleted an email. Then opened Windows 10 Mail and the email is still in my inbox? I've clicked the sync icon in mail, but that didn't work. Any ideas?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08.
Find Us