Strange problem with Chrome.


  1. Posts : 240
    Win 10 64 bit
       #1

    Strange problem with Chrome.


    I have a Dell tablet that just updated to Windows 10 and threshold. I have been using Chrome as my browser due to limited system resources. (2 gigs memory)
    Problem...Using Google, Yahoo, or Msn for searching, causes something called searchlock.com to show up and nothing else. Never had this while using Windows 8.1. Is this related to Windows 10 or Chrome?
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 17,640
    Windows 10 Pro
       #2

    Searchlock is a Chrome / Firefox browser extension, malware in every sense. Although you have most probably got it unnoticed from a dubious download, torrent or such, it has been installed on your Chrome browser as a result of your own actions.

    Remove Searchlock immediately! Instructions can easily be found on the Internet, here's one article telling how to do it: Remove SearchLock (Improved Instructions)

    Kari
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 240
    Win 10 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Kari said:
    Searchlock is a Chrome / Firefox browser extension, malware in every sense. Although you have most probably got it unnoticed from a dubious download, torrent or such, it has been installed on your Chrome browser as a result of your own actions.

    Remove Searchlock immediately! Instructions can easily be found on the Internet, here's one article telling how to do it: Remove SearchLock (Improved Instructions)

    Kari
    I just tried Spyhunter, it claims to have found 400 malware items on my tablet. And I have to buy the full version to remove them. Nice con. Anti-Malware bytes just found 5 PUP's and let me delete them. If you have any other idea's that actually work and are free, I would appreciate it. Right now, hopefully, I can remove this Spyhunter.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 17,640
    Windows 10 Pro
       #4

    Malwarebytes is the best there is to get rid of everything unwanted.

    If you are not satisfied you can of course always reset the tablet or perform a clean install. If you do it, try to be more careful in the future; the malware infection is always caused by actions of the users.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 240
    Win 10 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Kari said:
    Malwarebytes is the best there is to get rid of everything unwanted.

    If you are not satisfied you can of course always reset the tablet or perform a clean install. If you do it, try to be more careful in the future; the malware infection is always caused by actions of the users.
    It gets better and better. I just tried Superantispyware. It found 1 PUP and 925 cookies. Three anti-malware programs, three different results.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 17,640
    Windows 10 Pro
       #6

    As I said, Malwarebytes is considered to be the one, a trustworthy and well functioning tool. Personally I have never even tried anything else, Malwarebytes has always taken care of my small issues.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 240
    Win 10 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #7

    I Googled Searchlock removal and I was told to use HitmanPro. Its free for 30 days and it worked. I realize, I was a pain, but thank you for your help. I cannot reset my tablet. It will end up at Windows 8.0. From there, I would have to update to 8.1 then hopefully update to 10 And then get Threshold to finish. I had to remove just about everything to get 10 to fit. Apps, games, Microsoft Office. That hurt.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 130
    Win 10
       #8

    do you have to purchase Malwarebytes for it to clean your computer? I see where it has a download or a purchase option.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 17,640
    Windows 10 Pro
       #9

    BRKING said:
    do you have to purchase Malwarebytes for it to clean your computer? I see where it has a download or a purchase option.
    The free Malwarebytes is enough to solve most of the malware issues. Personally I have only ever used the free one.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums