1.    13 Dec 2015 #1
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows

    Upgrade to 10 - Browsing Slow


    Hi All,

    Upgraded my Windows machine to 10 last week. I didn't want to take any chances so I did a totally clean install. I haven't made any tweaks or installed any programs. My laptop is an ASUS dual core AMD with 4GB of memory and a 750GB hard drive.

    When I use Microsoft Edge it takes 3 seconds to open the browser and then when I type a website address it takes 7 seconds to fully load. I installed Chrome and while it's faster, it's not by much.

    I have another laptop running Windows 7 on the same network. It opens websites almost instantly. It does have better hardware - Intel i7, quad core, 8gb of ram, 500gb ssd. However, web browsing isn't a resource intensive activity so I would suspect hardware differences would not have a material impact.

    Thoughts on what might be the issue?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    13 Dec 2015 #2
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,891
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Find out if there is any significant difference if you use IE11 instead.
    IE11 is hidden by Microsoft at > All apps > scroll down to W > open Windows Accessories > Internet Explorer is listed there.
    Edge is, by default, your default browser. If you find IE11 is better suited to your preference, you can switch default to IE11.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    13 Dec 2015 #3
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    Find out if there is any significant difference if you use IE11 instead.
    IE11 is hidden by Microsoft at > All apps > scroll down to W > open Windows Accessories > Internet Explorer is listed there.
    Edge is, by default, your default browser. If you find IE11 is better suited to your preference, you can switch default to IE11.
    Thanks for the swift response. It's even worse with IE. It uses almost 70 percent of my cpu while on a page idle. Over 10 seconds to load a page.

    This is a clean install. I don't get it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    13 Dec 2015 #4
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,891
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Quote Originally Posted by Bbdude View Post
    Thanks for the swift response. It's even worse with IE. It uses almost 70 percent of my cpu while on a page idle. Over 10 seconds to load a page.

    This is a clean install. I don't get it.
    I assume that your Win 10 is activated ?

    Troubleshooting suggestion : It may ne help solving, but no harm trying.
    Run a system file check to look for corrupt files.
    Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

    > press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

    If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

    > press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    13 Dec 2015 #5
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    I assume that your Win 10 is activated ?

    Troubleshooting suggestion : It may ne help solving, but no harm trying.
    Run a system file check to look for corrupt files.
    Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

    > press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

    If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

    > press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.
    It found no integrity violations.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    13 Dec 2015 #6
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,891
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Speculation only.....................
    Perhaps it is related to the Asus and not Windows issue ?
    Have you tried to ask the same question at one of the Asus support forums ?
    People using the same model as yours may have a better "inside track" of the situation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved VERY Slow Internet After Upgrade to 10
Can anybody solve this one? After upgrading to Ten, my Internet speed plunged from 18 MBPS down to barely over 1 MBPS. It's specific to Windows 10, and here's I know: I reverted back to Windows 8.1 and my net speed returned to normal. A week...
Network and Sharing
All browsers are super slow after win 10 upgrade -
After completing the Win 10 upgrade process everything looked really good....until I started browsing the internet. All my browser's are slow as molasses and getting tons of connection time outs. Anyone else having the same problem?
Browsers and Email
Very slow internet speed since upgrade to 10
Hi hope somebody can help. Since upgrading to windows 10 my internet speed on my Packard Bell PC has dropped to almost nothing, less than 1mb. Before upgrade it was around 76mb. All my other laptops, tablets etc are getting good wifi speeds. When I...
Network and Sharing
Solved Windows 10 upgrade - internet speed very slow
I recently upgraded from W7 to W10 on my W7 laptop. The install went well, no problems to report. Since then my broadband speed has suffered badly. I've just tested the speed - the download speed is 1.6mbps and upload speed 0.29mbps. It's not...
Installation and Upgrade
RDP connections very slow after Windows 10 upgrade
Hi, After upgrading my Surface Pro 3 from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, my RDP connections became very slow. Everything else is perfect (surfing the web, downloading etc.). Only the RDP connections have lots of delay (almost a second when...
Network and Sharing
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums