1.    05 Dec 2014 #1
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    Ohio
    Posts : 295
    Windows 10

    remove ie 11


    I have windows 10 and originally had Ie 10. All of a sudden it has ie 11 which I don't like. I want to remove it and get back to 10. From the instructions I've see is to go to control panel click on add/remove programs. Then click on View installed updates, scroll down until you see internet explore 10 and remove it. Or click on Programs and features/View installed updated and do the same thing. However it does not list ie 11 and I know it's on here. Has anyone run into that and have an answer? Thank you.
    ~~~~Frank
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    05 Dec 2014 #2
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 34,840
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro

    Hi, Frank. Are you sure? I'm pretty sure 10TP always had IE11. It was introduced with 8.1 and given the choice to download in 7 also. Not in 8, though.

    This is an interesting question so far as uninstall. As you know it is no longer a program listed in programs column of Programs and Features, but rather listed as a feature as it is in 8.1. It can't be uninstalled. Only turned off, which will remove it from Start and remove icons.

    At this point I don't think there's a way to install a different version. I'd imagine it's the same as any browser. One gets the latest version to download and install.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    05 Dec 2014 #3
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    Ohio
    Posts : 295
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Hi, Frank. Are you sure? I'm pretty sure 10TP always had IE11. It was introduced with 8.1 and given the choice to download in 7 also. Not in 8, though.

    This is an interesting question so far as uninstall. As you know it is no longer a program listed in programs column of Programs and Features, but rather listed as a feature as it is in 8.1. It can't be uninstalled. Only turned off, which will remove it from Start and remove icons.

    At this point I don't think there's a way to install a different version. I'd imagine it's the same as any browser. One gets the latest version to download and install.
    After reading what you said, it is possible that I could be wrong and it was on all the time. That would explain why it is not listed in "installed updates". Is so, it's funny that I never noticed it. But what you said makes sense. If I'm wrong it will be the second time in my life that I was ever wrong and I'm 83 years old. The other time I was wrong was years ago when I thought I made a mistake but didn't. You believe that don't you??????
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    05 Dec 2014 #4
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    Ohio
    Posts : 295
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    I just noticed something very strange. I just happened to remember that on the laptop where I have windows 8.1, it also has ie 11. But it doesn't look any different that ie 10. The strange part is this: I'm now sure that my laptop with windows 10 always had ie 11, but lit looked normal as the one on my windows 8.1. All of a sudden today the one on Windows 10 looks like chrome but it isn't, it is IE 11 version: 11.0.9879.0 and the one on my win 8.1 is version: 11.0.9600.17351 so that's the difference. Which means the reason I didn't notice it before was because it look as the ie 10. Why it changed today, I have no idea. I hope I'm explain it clear enough,
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    05 Dec 2014 #5
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    Ohio
    Posts : 295
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    I found the answer! The reason it looked something like chrome is because I took a good look at it and found that I had a check mark by "Full screen" which I inadvertently did today. I removed the check mark and it's back to the way it was. So now this makes 3 times in my life that I made a mistake.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    05 Dec 2014 #6
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 34,840
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro

    Lol, Frank! I'm. Glad you got it straightened out.

    F11 is the shortcut key for full screen. Then strike again to toggle back.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    06 Dec 2014 #7
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,382
    W10 Pro, W10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    I found the answer! The reason it looked something like chrome is because I took a good look at it and found that I had a check mark by "Full screen" which I inadvertently did today. I removed the check mark and it's back to the way it was. So now this makes 3 times in my life that I made a mistake.
    Still a pretty impressive record, considering you have been around for 83 years!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    06 Dec 2014 #8
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    Ohio
    Posts : 295
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    I found the answer! The reason it looked something like chrome is because I took a good look at it and found that I had a check mark by "Full screen" which I inadvertently did today. I removed the check mark and it's back to the way it was. So now this makes 3 times in my life that I made a mistake.
    Still a pretty impressive record, considering you have been around for 83 years!
    Yes, that's only about one every 27 years. I wish it were better, but what the heck whose perfect.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    09 Dec 2014 #9
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,634
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    I found the answer! The reason it looked something like chrome is because I took a good look at it and found that I had a check mark by "Full screen" which I inadvertently did today. I removed the check mark and it's back to the way it was. So now this makes 3 times in my life that I made a mistake.
    Still a pretty impressive record, considering you have been around for 83 years!
    Yes, that's only about one every 27 years. I wish it were better, but what the heck whose perfect.
    If true, that could mean only one thing, you never been married !!!!
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Add Remove Programs
I have access to the CP but when I click on add remove programs and try to remove one, I am redirected right back to the desktop. This type of Bug should have been solved months ago, oh wait It worked months ago but now 2 days from launch and it...
Software and Apps
How to remove the 'Get Windows 10' app from your PC
See tutorial for more: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6596-get-windows-10-icon-remove-taskbar-windows-7-8-1-a.html How to Reserve Free Upgrade to Windows 10 using 'Get Windows 10' app in Windows 7 and 8.1 How to Cancel Reservation for...
Windows 10 News
Solved Remove Windows.old
Hi, Does anyone know how to remove this annoying Windows.old folder? If I try using the Disk Cleanup included with windows it wont work...
General Support
How to safely remove W10?
I installed W10 in a E: partition and after trying it I prefer to remove it. I had boot problems lately in this laptop after formating and deleting the partition as I have always done to get rid of some testing OS. It didn't boot at all and...
Installation and Upgrade
How do you remove the watermark
I know this distro is only a few days old but has anyone figured out how to remove the watermark in the lower right corner of the desktop yet?
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:04.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums