Windows 10: Which email desktop client do you use and why?

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
  1.    27 Nov 2015 #131

    When you say you don't like Windows Mail in Win 10 do you mean the mail app that comes with Windows 10? Or do you mean the Windows Mail that came with Vista and that some of us then figured out how to install in Windows 7 and 8?

    Kelliann

    tomseys said: View Post
    I use Thunderbird by Mozilla. I like it because it is pretty reliable, and can store all my emails via pop3 in folders I choose and has the add-on and now built in Calendar. I also use the FireFox browser which is also made by Mozilla. I like that because I can make it how I want it to be and because it loads pages overall quickly and doesn't hang. I do get some duplicate email sometimes with Thunderbird which I don't like. I rectified this by using a command in the Thunderbird system to auto-delete or move to trash when a duplicate is perceived. Seems to mostly work.

    I've read a few people say that it is not Thunderbird causing the duplicate issue but that Microsofts servers (my emails are all microsoft ..live.com or outlook.com) are rubbish. I don't know.

    I really don't like Windows Mail in Win 10. The email notifications are not consistent. I also in general am not a big fan of win 10 and prefer win 8.1. I've decided to deal with win 10 and hope it improves.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 270
    Windows 10 Home Version 1703 Build 15063.296
       27 Nov 2015 #132

    kelliann said: View Post
    When you say you don't like Windows Mail in Win 10 do you mean the mail app that comes with Windows 10? Or do you mean the Windows Mail that came with Vista and that some of us then figured out how to install in Windows 7 and 8?

    Kelliann
    Hi. I mean the one that came with Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3,211
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       27 Nov 2015 #133

    I used Outlook Express on WinXP but bypassed the Windows Mail application that came with Vista and Win7 had no E-Mail Client [most brand computers I worked on had Windows Live Essentials with it Mail or Outlook] but I'm quite satisfied with SeaMonkey's E-Mail Client and a freebie called OE Classic [Outlook Express Classic], don't need all the bells and whistles in some of the other programs. I do have Outlook on two computers but only as part of Office 2010 on one and Office 2013 on the other.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    27 Nov 2015 #134

    I continue to use Thunderbird.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    27 Nov 2015 #135

    Tom
    Oh - ok - thanks!
    Kelliann

    tomseys said: View Post
    Hi. I mean the one that came with Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    28 Nov 2015 #136

    Kelliann asked me to keep him updated on my Win Mail issue.... It's good news ref Win Mail
    As stated earlier, I have been using Win Mail (Ex Vista) with Windows 10 without a hitch, however the last update via the Windows insider program corrupted the installation.
    I tried to reinstall the program, however this did not cure the issue.
    In the end, I undertook a clean install of Win 10 Pro X64, downloaded all the updates, including the latest Windows insider update, I then reinstalled the Win Mail program, and success it works.

    I am old school, I like POP, I like my emails on my PC. I also like to use the contacts Folder found in Windows, plus the ability to have Groups within the Contacts folder, so basically click on one folder within Contacts and I can send an email to 50 people.
    I also like the ability to have multiple email addresses.

    For me web mail is great on my mobile, (I use Aqua Mail) but that's it.
    Cheers for now, hope this info helps
    Syd
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    28 Nov 2015 #137

    Postbox is the one I use.
    It is a branch off from Thunderbird, but it is still being developed.
    I've had a couple of updates since upgrading to Windows 10.
    You do have to pay for it, but it is a one off small payment.
    It has a clean user interface.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img3File_thumb800.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	50846
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    29 Nov 2015 #138

    a. Poppeeper + a spam filter
    (small, free, does quick periodic scan of accounts, tray icon, notifies me of new mail, so I can process mail via headers, and reply via Thunderbird if I wish).
    => elimination of unneeded mail.
    b. Thunderbird
    (to download mail I want to keep, search mail history)

    Main thing- must be
    a. reliable
    b. independent of MS
    c. easy to move from PC to PC when I buy a new laptop.

    MS software
    a. Kept changing after OE
    b. Now we see it, now we don't - the case of the vanishing email client in Win 7 on.
    c. Stored stuff all over the place from mail rules to the address book.
    d. Relatively hard to transfer from PC to PC or from one client to another.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    29 Nov 2015 #139

    Syd - thank you for the update!!! This is GREAT news! If I can get Windows Mail from Vista, which I am now using on Windows 7, onto Windows 10 then I have no problem switching to Windows 10. Using Windows Mail is far more important to me than using Windows 10 so if one of them had to be sacrificed, it would definitely be Windows 10. And I am pretty sure there are a whole lot of other people just like you and me. I want Windows Mail for all the reasons you stated.

    Kelliann

    Syd said: View Post
    Kelliann asked me to keep him updated on my Win Mail issue.... It's good news ref Win Mail
    As stated earlier, I have been using Win Mail (Ex Vista) with Windows 10 without a hitch, however the last update via the Windows insider program corrupted the installation.
    I tried to reinstall the program, however this did not cure the issue.
    In the end, I undertook a clean install of Win 10 Pro X64, downloaded all the updates, including the latest Windows insider update, I then reinstalled the Win Mail program, and success it works.

    I am old school, I like POP, I like my emails on my PC. I also like to use the contacts Folder found in Windows, plus the ability to have Groups within the Contacts folder, so basically click on one folder within Contacts and I can send an email to 50 people.
    I also like the ability to have multiple email addresses.

    For me web mail is great on my mobile, (I use Aqua Mail) but that's it.
    Cheers for now, hope this info helps
    Syd
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    30 Nov 2015 #140

    Hi there

    Another little trick is to use OUTLOOK EXPRESS (remember that one) in an XP Virtual Machine -- if you install a minimal XP Virtual machine and only use it for email you shouldn't have to worry about lack of support. OE was fast small and efficient -- great pity it ended after XP. Use Free VMware player or VBOX to create your XP VM.

    I agree with previous poster though I HATE webmail type clients --usually slow, messy and adware driven.

    If you can find a cheap (discounted) version of office 2007 or 2010 then outlook is very good, There are also some reasonable LINUX email clients but that's another issue entirely.

    Note to people who don't like IMAP - there's no problem copying email from your IMAP inbox to the local outlook pst files - simply copy (or move) to the relevant folder. Outlook 2013 is a DOG in that regard as the outlook files are hard to find. However in both OUTLOOK 2010 and 2016) and presumably in office 365 the folders are restored again into your documents folder named outlook.pst.

    I do like IMAP as it's easier to use email from a myriad of devices -- when I want to save emails I just move them to a local folder on a PC.

    cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Related Threads
Solved eM Client under Build 9926 in Software and Apps
I've been unable to get eM Client running under 9926. It apparently installs but doesn't run correctly. I don't want to spend a whole lot of effort at this point getting it to run and will put it aside for now. But if someone here has been able...
Opera Browser And Mail Client in Browsers and Email
... used to be combined, right? It looks like they're separate now... When did that happen? And why? :(
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53.
Find Us