Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1.    29 Sep 2015 #31
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,808
    10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
    The next step would be the obvious for simply nuking the present account you are having the problem with and see if creating the same account only brand new will solve the problem.
    I already marked this solved with the solution, thanks anyways.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    28 Oct 2015 #32
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,808
    10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    This problem re-occurred and at the same time Edge started freezing when opening some new pages.

    In case it is of use to someone else it can be resolved by deleting the following file (instead of creating new user):

    %USERPROFILE%\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\counters.dat

    As counters.dat is locked need to change the value of the key Cache at "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" to something else, reboot, delete the INetCache folder and then change the key back. The folder is recreated automatically in the location specified on the key.
    Last edited by lx07; 29 Oct 2015 at 04:20.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    27 Dec 2015 #33
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10

    Problem solved!


    Quote Originally Posted by lx07 View Post
    This problem re-occurred and at the same time Edge started freezing when opening some new pages.

    In case it is of use to someone else it can be resolved by deleting the following file (instead of creating new user):

    %USERPROFILE%\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\counters.dat

    As counters.dat is locked need to change the value of the key Cache at "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" to something else, reboot, delete the INetCache folder and then change the key back. The folder is recreated automatically in the location specified on the key.
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

    I was having the same problem you posted in the original message, evidently because I changed a user's username and folder name. It's weird that this would cause that problem, but it's solved now thanks to you!!!

    Incidentally, I logged out of the account I was having problems with, logged into my account and deleted the folder from there rather than messing with the registry. It work just as well.

    Again, thank you!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    27 Dec 2015 #34
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,808
    10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRambler View Post
    Incidentally, I logged out of the account I was having problems with, logged into my account and deleted the folder from there rather than messing with the registry.
    You are right - deleting it is easier. It seems to break for me every few weeks and I'm not sure what I do to cause it. Deleting the INetCache folder from another account is quick and easy fix.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    25 Jan 2016 #35
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 232
    Windows 10 x64 v1703

    @lx07
    Just wanted to post to say "Thank you" as well. I had this problem today and it drove me nuts till I found your post!

    @DesertRambler
    Handy approach you have to the problem as well! Kudos
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    09 Apr 2016 #36
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 2
    Win10 upgrade from win7

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRambler View Post
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

    I was having the same problem you posted in the original message, evidently because I changed a user's username and folder name. It's weird that this would cause that problem, but it's solved now thanks to you!!!

    Incidentally, I logged out of the account I was having problems with, logged into my account and deleted the folder from there rather than messing with the registry. It work just as well.

    Again, thank you!
    Very interesting.
    Last edited by 4on4off; 14 Apr 2016 at 10:07.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    09 Apr 2016 #37
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 2
    Win10 upgrade from win7

    Quote Originally Posted by lx07 View Post
    This problem re-occurred and at the same time Edge started freezing when opening some new pages.

    In case it is of use to someone else it can be resolved by deleting the following file (instead of creating new user):

    %USERPROFILE%\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\counters.dat

    As counters.dat is locked need to change the value of the key Cache at "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" to something else, reboot, delete the INetCache folder and then change the key back. The folder is recreated automatically in the location specified on the key.
    Nice read.
    Last edited by 4on4off; 14 Apr 2016 at 10:07.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    14 Jul 2017 #38
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 34
    Windows 10

    I have had similar issues, but not fixed by the INETCACHE removal. As I had a full clone backup on another disk in the desktop, (taken prior to the problem state)I decided to try the MS Support route, via the CHAT and remote support. Interestingly, the support tech used this program:<br>Windows Repair (All In One) Download <br>It did a LOT of stuff (he ticked just a few items in the "tool set" main GUI, related to EDGE and apps) - and it took over an hour (he disconnected once it was running). It needed a restart, and although it did not do any other apps or system damage, it actually made the EDGE browser worse (in that it only stayed active for a few seconds, then crashed and exited).<br><br>For some problems, that (AIO "All In One") fixer might work for specific problems, but as MS level are a continuous moving target, I would advise that anyone contemplating using it, has a full backup, or ideally, a full bootable clone from a known working state before using it, AND ensure you have the latest version (always check for updates from the AIO site before using it).
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Problems downloading software in programs on Windows 10
Hello everyone, I immediately upgraded to Windows 10 the day the OS launched, and after a few days of experiencing the OS I noticed that I can't download any files from programs running on Windows 10. However I can if I use my browser...
General Support
Updates not downloading for W10, stuck at 'downloading...'
Title. Screenie attached - the progress doesn't advance at all over any length of time. 30442 How do I force updates?
Windows Updates and Activation
Problems with AOL email after downloading windows10
After downloading windows 10 I am unable to answer email on aol. As soon as i start typing in a dialog box the aol software shuts down
Browsers and Email
Edge Problems--Home Page and Search
I continue to have two perplexing problems with Edge that started with 10158 and continue in 10159. 1. Starting with 10158, MS finally gave us an Edge Setting to allow use of a Search engine other than Bing as default. Unfortunately, I've been...
Browsers and Email
Mobile Edge to get background downloading (mobile)
This could be a handy feature on the mobile version of Edge, would like to see this appear on other apps also When it comes to mobile browsing, there are some who want no limits, including the background downloading of files. Although for many...
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums