Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    14 Sep 2015 #11
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,034
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Try here too, i was looking for a way to reset Edge like IE, but no success if it would of helped. You did try all my other options, so try this way even though the same as going into Control panel, maybe will work. And no, Edge is default PDF reader when first installing Windows 10. IE is still there, having Adobe should put a plug in, in browsers like Firefox, IE and other to read online PDF through the browsers.

    http://techdows.com/2015/08/how-to-c...indows-10.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    14 Sep 2015 #12
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    SoCal, USA
    Posts : 463
    Windows 10 Home and Pro

    Any PDF file on the internet should be saved first to the computer before you open it with another program. If it is on the computer, you can choose the default program to open PDFs. If you are opening it with your browser from a webpage without downloading it first locally, of COURSE the browser will open it...

    Click save, or save as, NOT open.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    14 Sep 2015 #13
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 357
    Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64

    I have Pale Moon as the default browser and Foxit Reader portable as the default program for .pdf files.
    When i click on a .pdf link in a webpage Pale Moon gives me a choice to open it with Foxit, choose another program, or save the file.
    I could also use a plugin to open it in PaleMoon with Foxit.

    This is what i see.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OpenPDF_01.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	37539
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    15 Sep 2015 #14
    Join Date : Dec 2014
    Posts : 76
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    jds63- Still no luck getting Adobe DC to work as a default PDF viewer in Edge, as you have. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe as a possible solution.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    15 Sep 2015 #15
    Join Date : Dec 2014
    Posts : 76
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    OK, so the reinstalling Adobe did nothing. Nor did installing Foxit. In all cases, Microsoft Edge want to take control of PDF files. I tried all the suggestions re defaults and associations etc. Works in File Explorer but not in Edge.

    As a large percentage of my web browsing is reading PDF files, which Edge will not let me do effectively (unless I download every PDF file I read), its utterly useless to me.

    I am going back to Chrome or IE11. Neither has any issue with viewing a PDF online re articles, tutorials, manuals, lessons, banks statements, etc . Only Edge has an issue.

    Still don't get why I cant launch Adobe DC from Edge when Edge sees a PDF...or why I cant launch IE11 directly for PDF files...or why others can evoke Adobe DC instead of Edge. But its taking way too much of my time already - clearly Microsoft enjoys making this as difficult as possible.

    Perhaps Edge will change in the next Service Pack, if not, I don't see any other option other than changing to a browser that can properly handles PDFs.

    Thought for a moment I found the solution here : Solved How to use Adobe Reader to open PDF's instead of Edge - Windows 10 Forums , but the way it was "solved" was to stop using Edge and use IE11 !
    Last edited by mediaman09; 15 Sep 2015 at 10:31.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    15 Sep 2015 #16
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,034
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by mediaman09 View Post
    OK, so the reinstalling Adobe did nothing. Nor did installing Foxit. In all cases, Microsoft Edge want to take control of PDF files. I tried all the suggestions re defaults and associations etc. Works in File Explorer but not in Edge.

    As a large percentage of my web browsing is reading PDF files, which Edge will not let me do effectively (unless I download every PDF file I read), its utterly useless to me.

    I am going back to Chrome or IE11. Neither has any issue with viewing a PDF online re articles, tutorials, manuals, lessons, banks statements, etc . Only Edge has an issue.

    Still don't get why I cant launch Adobe DC from Edge when Edge sees a PDF...or why I cant launch IE11 directly for PDF files...or why others can evoke Adobe DC instead of Edge. But its taking way too much of my time already - clearly Microsoft enjoys making this as difficult as possible.

    Perhaps Edge will change in the next Service Pack, if not, I don't see any other option other than changing to a browser that can properly handles PDFs.

    Thought for a moment I found the solution here : Solved How to use Adobe Reader to open PDF's instead of Edge - Windows 10 Forums , but the way it was "solved" was to stop using Edge and use IE11 !
    My confusion was you were not able to read downloaded PDF files on your desktop or in folder in File explorer with Adobe Reader, that Edge was still opening it. MS Edge probably does not support the Plug In from Adobe Reader as Firefox,IE,Chrome does. Reasons Edge will not open PDF's online,this is my impression as Edge does not yet support a lot of plug ins.

    Your last link is what i showed you before which only defaults either PDF reader for desktop (file explorer) downloaded PDF you already have on your PC. I will check IE in Windows 10, i am not sure as i use Firefox mostly and it works fine.

    Plug in in Firefox

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	37687

    What i notice in IE is works better then in Firefox giving you more of option as the same as when you open Adobe from a Downloaded PDF on your Desktop or File Explorer, Nice !
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	37697

    MS Edge opening a PDF link
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled3.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	37698

    Here is Firefox as looks like Edge
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	236.6 KB 
ID:	37699
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    15 Sep 2015 #17
    Join Date : Dec 2014
    Posts : 76
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    MS Edge probably does not support the Plug In from Adobe Reader as Firefox,IE,Chrome does. Reasons Edge will not open PDF's online,this is my impression as Edge does not yet support a lot of plug ins.....

    MS Edge opening a PDF link
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled3.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	37698
    Okay so if I understand correctly. you are confirming what I am experiencing. When in an EDGE browser, and opening an online PDF, and wanting to read that pdf, only the EDGE reader can be used. There is no configuration that will allow Adobe DC to be used instead. The only workaround is to either use a different browser, or read it off-line.

    As downloading every PDF I want to read while browsing is a ridiculous thing to do, reverting back to Chrome is best for me. IE11 is quite nice re PDFs, but its support will be limited , whereas Chrome is fully supported with mods, new features etc.

    We'll see what Win 10 Service Pack 1 holds for Edge. Until then, I cant use it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    15 Sep 2015 #18
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,034
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by mediaman09 View Post
    Okay so if I understand correctly. you are confirming what I am experiencing. When in an EDGE browser, and opening an online PDF, and wanting to read that pdf, only the EDGE reader can be used. There is no configuration that will allow Adobe DC to be used instead. The only workaround is to either use a different browser, or read it off-line.

    As downloading every PDF I want to read while browsing is a ridiculous thing to do, reverting back to Chrome is best for me. IE11 is quite nice re PDFs, but its support will be limited , whereas Chrome is fully supported with mods, new features etc.

    We'll see what Win 10 Service Pack 1 holds for Edge. Until then, I cant use it.
    Yes, open online PDF in any browser of choice is not going to make any difference except what i seen with IE and Adobe Acrobat Plug in, no default for this of course, making a browser your default browser has nothing to do with this. Unless it's a link from within windows program or software that is directing you to a PDF link, then whichever browser is default will open it.

    Mainly the Adobe reader uses a plug in in browser for that and when using a PDF file in file explorer it opens in whatever is the default reader you set. For me sometimes i notice not all PDF's are readable online, some have to download, i get what you mean there.

    Edge without anything else is default reader unless you download another for pdf files on PC, that is main thing, comes to reading ones online it is the browsers plug ins i believe, as i am not sure browser needs adobe plug in or foxit plug in to read a PDF. May add more function to it, in fact i had opened PDF without Adobe plug in on Windows 10, before i ever installed Adobe Reader.
    So for online no need for it, as i see.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    15 Sep 2015 #19
    Join Date : Dec 2014
    Posts : 76
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    For many PDFs, the bare bones EDGE pdf viewer is passable, as you do get the triple dots (more action) to zoom, print etc. as your screen shot shows. However all of the on-line monthly pdf bank/investment statements are encrypted - Edge still renders them, but in an separate fixed window with zero options, not even zoon, so I can barely read it, rendering it unusable. It is for this reason I am giving up on Edge. I can only want to use one product as my browser, so for now its anything-but-Edge. All other non-Edge browsers to the job just fine.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    15 Sep 2015 #20
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,413
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mediaman09 View Post
    How do I disable the Edge PDF Reader? - the one the opens a PDF file in a window that gives the user no option to enlarge or reduce or print or open with the Adobe reader, thus rendering it useless. All you get is a Save As option.
    I find Edge quite nice with PDF files. Fast and easy zoom with CTRL + mouse wheel and so on. In screenshot a PDF document in Edge zoomed to 20%:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-09-15_21h45_48.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	37707
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft Edge: How to disable annoying Nag Screen?
I have updated to Windows 10. I didn't like Microsoft Edge (I use the favourites bar a lot for basic navigation, and it doesn't work very well in Edge - Folders cannot be added, titles cannot be edited etc...), so I reverted back to IE11, and made...
Browsers and Email
Edge: Force Download PDF Files, or Open in Reader?
Is there a way to force Edge to download PDF Files, or open in Acrobat Reader?
Browsers and Email
Solved How to use Adobe Reader to open PDF's instead of Edge
I open a lot of manuals and Edge is so basic. It shows nothing from introduction to index just the manual. I used to be able to go to the index and find the specific part of the manual I need. Has Microsoft blocked this. REO
Software and Apps
What triggers Edge Reader View?
We run 2 web stores based on Foundation, and both are responsive. I would like to also code it so the Edge Reader View would work properly. Currently our product listing pages in Reader View do not show anything but the Product title. The product...
Browsers and Email
disable font-smoothing in Microsoft Edge
Does anyone know how to disable font-smoothing in MS Edge? The system-wide setting doesnt work.
Browsers and Email
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums