RDC/TSC and Outlook new mail message


  1. Posts : 65
    Windows 10
       #1

    RDC/TSC and Outlook new mail message


    So this is the problem in short: I'm using Outlook on my Windows 10, it reports me on the bottom right corner when new mails arrive. All OK.

    I startup RDC/TSC (Remote Desktop Connection/Terminal Services Client), and I run that full screen.

    Problem: when new mails arrive in Outlook (in the main Windows, not in the RDC/TSC session), I do not get any messages anymore. I understand RDC/TSC takes over the screen, so it looks as if I'm just logged into THAT machine, ..

    .. but still, I would like to see messages displayed from the host Windows machine, on my screen.

    Is that possible ? If yes, how ?

    The Windows in the RDC/TSC session is some server version, not exactly sure which but I can check.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 65
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #2

    bump
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 295
    Windows 10 Pro
       #3

    If the RDP session is full screen it's taking focus away from your desktop and thus the alerts and not there. You may want to size the RDP session window and see if that helps.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2,911
    Windows 10 Pro for the Bro
       #4

    Not sure if it would show the notification settings while you're in RDP, but I think it should still work.

    I use a 3rd party app called Howard E-mail Notifier. It works with Outlook. I use it for my Hotmail account. I use my internet browser to check my email. So every time a new email comes to my inbox, I click the notification and it opens the browser to my email account.

    RDC/TSC and Outlook new mail message-image.png

    I find it really useful. It's one of the very few startup applications that I have for my computer.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 65
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    F22 Simpilot said:
    If the RDP session is full screen it's taking focus away from your desktop and thus the alerts and not there. You may want to size the RDP session window and see if that helps.
    Yes I know, but that is sort of the issue: Windows messages should be on top of everything. That would include RDC sessions, in my mind. All of this is Windows : the host Windows, the client Windows, RDC/TSC and Outlook. So they can't blame it on third party software.

    If I resize, then I have a smaller desktop size to work with,
    plus I also need to actually resize it, which is cumbersome compared with setting it to max size.

    - - - Updated - - -

    pepanee said:
    Not sure if it would show the notification settings while you're in RDP, but I think it should still work.

    I use a 3rd party app called Howard E-mail Notifier. It works with Outlook. I use it for my Hotmail account. I use my internet browser to check my email. So every time a new email comes to my inbox, I click the notification and it opens the browser to my email account.

    RDC/TSC and Outlook new mail message-image.png

    I find it really useful. It's one of the very few startup applications that I have for my computer.
    That sounds like something interesting, but I see some issues, like the fact we don't have a browser interface to our email. Also, the client machine (the RDC session) has no internet access. If it had, I would setup Outlook there.

    I also hate web-browser-email programs, but that is a subjective disadvantage,
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 6,847
    22H2 64 Bit Pro
       #6

    See two possible solutions in the thread here:

    Outlook desktop alerts don't work while in a full screen RDP window - Super User

    Again here:

    Enable full screen notifications

    Sorry I cannot test because I don't have MS Office/ Outlook on my local machine.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 2,911
    Windows 10 Pro for the Bro
       #7

    Hello Dr.

    It's not necessary to attach a web client to open the emails. You can just set it up to send you a notification that you got a new email at your account. So you will just see a notification saying you have a new email, then you can use your non-web based program to check that new email.

    (are you an md)
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 6,847
    22H2 64 Bit Pro
       #8

    Just a note to say that resizing the RDC window to "almost" full screen leaving the taskbar of the local machine visible at the bottom works for me.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 65
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Callender said:
    See two possible solutions in the thread here:

    Outlook desktop alerts don't work while in a full screen RDP window - Super User

    Again here:

    Enable full screen notifications

    Sorry I cannot test because I don't have MS Office/ Outlook on my local machine.
    Both of these solutions look exactly like what I need, especially the second one.
    I'll need to test both of them on the device with this issue - I'll come back with result.

    The notifications are really important, it's my job to react to these ASAP.

    - - - Updated - - -

    pepanee said:
    Hello Dr.

    It's not necessary to attach a web client to open the emails. You can just set it up to send you a notification that you got a new email at your account. So you will just see a notification saying you have a new email, then you can use your non-web based program to check that new email.

    (are you an md)
    OK, I see,
    I've seen something like that before. Some email client once, if you start it, then "end" it (in the normal way), but the notification thingy just continues, until you log off Windows.

    It would be an option, but then only problem remains : the Windows inside RDC has no network connection to some servers, by design.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Callender said:
    Just a note to say that resizing the RDC window to "almost" full screen leaving the taskbar of the local machine visible at the bottom works for me.
    It technically works, but there's some problems with it;
    - your work area is reduced
    - I find it a pain to setup the windows exactly perfectly sized, every time again (maximize is just 1 click, resizing to specific is several clicks and drags)
    - the edge become "fragile", if you click not to exactly, you resize the window, or you click inside the outer Windows which then puts focus on that machine, and showing the host instead
    - two Task bars look confusing, can't work that way

    Remember, I don't need to use this sometimes, this is my working machine for 8 hours straight
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 6,847
    22H2 64 Bit Pro
       #10

    Yes it will have those issues but as far as i can work out there's no way of getting notifications to appear on top of full screen RDP.

    Having said that I use PotPlayer on local machine configured "always on top" and it works if I use full screen RDP.

    On that basis I'd suggest using some third party email notifier and setting the window as "always on top" using something like:

    Savard Software - TurboTop

    You'd need the window open at all times but you should be able to resize or minimize it.

    Example: Here's SwiftSearch and PotPlayer windows open on local machine:

    RDC/TSC and Outlook new mail message-turbotop.jpg

    Here's RDP connection in full screen (almost) but I couldn't get screenshot program to capture an entire full screen window but the result is the same. The windows are kept on top.

    RDC/TSC and Outlook new mail message-turbotop-2.jpg

    So get an email notifier preferably with sound notifications on new emails and use that. You can set the window always on top and minimize it if it gets in the way. The only downside to minimizing is that to restore the window you'd need to Alt+Tab or minimize RDP window then restore full screen RDP (keeping the notifier window on top).
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums