Firefox... taming the beast !

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
  1. Ghot's Avatar
    Posts : 11,345
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19043.1110 (x64) [21H1]
    Thread Starter
       #101

    OldMike65 said:
    Yeah I understand Ghot ....but I am not a coder , so I'll never be able to figure it out myself. And I don't want to install a 3rd party addon just for the download display feature, which is already in FF ....but blocked.



    I'm not either... really. Last time I coded was back in the early 80's. LOL

    I have a partition on a storage drive where I save copies of "installed" things. One of those things, for example, is the "Chrome" folder.

    So when I get a lightbulb, about something... it's easy to get to and open userChrome.css
    As I've told a few people, I have never coded in CSS.

    But one thing just about all coding has in common... is that when you execute the code...it starts reading all the lines in the code. And... it only reads the lines that are... enabled.


    So, even though that userChrome.css file looks big and scary... it's really only about 12-15 "enabled" lines.


    The only thing that could make it better... would be if it had a GUI.
      My Computer

  2. Ghot's Avatar
    Posts : 11,345
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19043.1110 (x64) [21H1]
    Thread Starter
       #102

    Anak said:
    Thx an fair enough, looks like I have some testing to do I'll let you know how it goes...


    That's pretty much all I do, with the Chrome folder. When I have some time, I putz around and see if there's something I missed, etc.
    It's not something you wanna sit down and do in 3 minutes.


    There's only so many places we can "tweak" Firefox.

    Settings, Customize, about:config and the Chrome folder (userChrome.css).

    There are some things you can do with the DEV (developer) Tools, etc.
    But that is way outta my league.






    Me... explaining how I tweak Firefox...


    Firefox...  taming the beast !-trust-me.png
    Last edited by Ghot; 04 Jun 2021 at 07:45.
      My Computer

  3. Callender's Avatar
    Posts : 4,394
    21H1 64 Bit Home
       #103

    Anyone want to test a new profile?

    Firefox Profilemaker

    I'm not sure this has been updated to work with the latest firefox builds or even if it needed updating.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 288
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
       #104

    ill be honest, when I saw the release notes for this, I figured "oh god, there potentially goes half of the stuff I customized about my firefox", but probably because I've been using the GPO policy files for firefox, I only used the proton flag set to false, the rest was livable

    I will say that this proton look (to me at the very least), is firefox's attempt to force a mobile-centric UI setup on the desktop/laptop firefox, and when its done right (somehow :/ ), I can try to get used to it, but taking the "shoving it down your throat and you'll like it" approach ain't cash money bro, it just ain't
      My Computer

  5. Ghot's Avatar
    Posts : 11,345
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19043.1110 (x64) [21H1]
    Thread Starter
       #105

    BrokenDaily said:
    ill be honest, when I saw the release notes for this, I figured "oh god, there potentially goes half of the stuff I customized about my firefox", but probably because I've been using the GPO policy files for firefox, I only used the proton flag set to false, the rest was livable

    I will say that this proton look (to me at the very least), is firefox's attempt to force a mobile-centric UI setup on the desktop/laptop firefox, and when its done right (somehow :/ ), I can try to get used to it, but taking the "shoving it down your throat and you'll like it" approach ain't cash money bro, it just ain't




    Firefox...  taming the beast !-image1.png
      My Computer

  6. bo elam's Avatar
    Posts : 651
    Windows 10 Home
       #106

    Anak said:
    That's strange...It already is. I took this from the code box I posted in my previous post:
    The reason css is not working for you might be because you haven't toggled the preference below to true.You have to do that in about:config, otherwise css will not work.

    toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets

    This has to be done when you create a new profile. So, if you did this before but created a new profile since that time, you need to do this again. That preference is like a switch that tells Firefox to read the css file. It can be used to turn on or off css.

    Bo
      My Computer

  7. Anak's Avatar
    Posts : 1,281
    10 Home 64-bit | v2004 | Build - 19041.685 - See other Info below
       #107

    bo elam said:
    The reason css is not working for you might be because you haven't toggled the preference below to true.You have to do that in about:config, otherwise css will not work.

    toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets

    This has to be done when you create a new profile. So, if you did this before but created a new profile since that time, you need to do this again. That preference is like a switch that tells Firefox to read the css file. It can be used to turn on or off css.

    Bo
    Thx Bo,
    Toggling that to true was the first thing I did and I haven't created a new profile, I'm working off the one created when my FF 88.0.1 updated to 89.
    Code:
    C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default-release
      My Computers

  8. bo elam's Avatar
    Posts : 651
    Windows 10 Home
       #108

    Anak said:
    Thx Bo,
    Toggling that to true was the first thing I did and I haven't created a new profile, I'm working off the one created when my FF 88.0.1 updated to 89.
    I believe you and I talked about tabs on the bottom before, so I think you have used css before. Try this code. Copy and paste it in your personal css file, take all 5 files from Ari out of the chrome folder, and see if it works for you.

    Or, leave Ari's files in the chrome folder if you are using it for something else and is working for that, and puts yours in there after you rename it as "my_userChrome".

    So, if you use your file together with Ari's, you name your csss file "my_userChrome". But if you only use you css file, you name it "userChrome". The top line of the css file chaged not long ago, so if you use and old file you have, make sure the top line is correct. When Firefox opens up, if you see blank spaces or the bottom way down or up, not aligned or something not looking right, then you play with the values. Change them and see the effect.

    FWIW, I don't use the Bookmarks toolbar, I use the Menu bar, and haven't disabled any Proton settings in about:config, so the values in that code are perfect for me but they might not be for you. If you play with them, is likely you ll get what you want.


    @-moz-document url(chrome://browser/content/browser.xul), url(chrome://browser/content/browser.xhtml) {


    /* TABS: on bottom */

    @import "./tabs_below_navigation_toolbar.css";

    *|*:root {
    --menubar-height: 36px;
    --bookmarkbar-height: 1px;
    --tabbar-top: calc(var(--menubar-height) + var(--bookmarkbar-height) + var(--tab-min-height) + 8px); /*89+*/
    }

    #TabsToolbar {
    display: block !important;
    position: absolute !important;
    top: 67px !important;
    width: 100vw !important;
    }

    #tabbrowser-tabs {
    width: 100vw !important;
    }
    #main-window:not([chromehidden*="toolbar"]) #navigator-toolbox {padding-bottom: var(--tab-min-height) !important;}

    }

    Bo
      My Computer

  9. Anak's Avatar
    Posts : 1,281
    10 Home 64-bit | v2004 | Build - 19041.685 - See other Info below
       #109

    Yes Bo we have worked together to get one of my earlier versions to go tabsonbottom and it was working great until I okayed the 89 update and proton used a broom and brushed all the old stuff out, everything went back to their defaults, the most I lost was my personal homepage.

    Whew! I thank you for the instructions, that's gonna be a lot for me to go over and apply so you might not hear from me until late Sun. .
      My Computers

  10. Ghot's Avatar
    Posts : 11,345
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19043.1110 (x64) [21H1]
    Thread Starter
       #110

    Anak said:
    Yes Bo we have worked together to get one of my earlier versions to go tabsonbottom and it was working great until I okayed the 89 update and proton used a broom and brushed all the old stuff out, everything went back to their defaults, the most I lost was my personal homepage.

    Whew! I thank you for the instructions, that's gonna be a lot for me to go over and apply so you might not hear from me until late Sun. .


    Found this on Ghacks... so I just added this other about:config switch, to the 1st page.

    toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets = True <--- Tells Firefox to read a file we will add.
    svg.context-properties.content.enabled = True <---- also needed


    The svg line is the one just added.


    Although I didn't seem to need it, it didn't seem to do anything... that I could see.


    Article: How to fix the Firefox 89 user interface - gHacks Tech News

    It is about a month old article.
      My Computer


 
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:36.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums