About ms edge update

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 343
    Ghost Spectre Win 10 64 Bit Pro V 20H2 Build 19042.985
       #1

    About ms edge update


    My ms edge automatic update to latest version 90.0.818.46 without asking when i click on "about ms edge".
    Download updates over metered connections is off. Is there anyway to disable auto update ?
    Last edited by teots; 25 Apr 2021 at 19:40.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 12,429
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #2

    That is a feature of Edge as it seems not to automatically update when the Build updates are done. And it always checks for updates when clicking Help, About but then other browsers do the same. And some check every time they are just simply opened.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 872
    11 Home
       #3

    If the connection you use is set as metered and 'Download updates over metered connections' is off in the 'About', then the moment after it finishes auto-searching for an update either it will show a checkmark on a blue ball in front of a text message saying it's updated or show a red ball in front of a text message saying an update is available for download. In the latter case it will also show a button underneath, and, only when you click on it, will download and install the available update.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Look in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\Log\MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.log if you don't trust it.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 7,456
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #4

    teots said:
    My ms edge automatic update to latest version 90.0.818.46 without asking when i click on "about ms edge".
    When you click on "About Microsoft Edge", it will check for updates automatically. If you don't want an update, disconnect Windows from the Internet immediately.



    The old version is still on my Windows 10.

    About ms edge update-annotation-2021-04-26-151321.jpg
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 343
    Ghost Spectre Win 10 64 Bit Pro V 20H2 Build 19042.985
    Thread Starter
       #5

    hdmi said:
    If the connection you use is set as metered and 'Download updates over metered connections' is off in the 'About', then the moment after it finishes auto-searching for an update either it will show a checkmark on a blue ball in front of a text message saying it's updated or show a red ball in front of a text message saying an update is available for download. In the latter case it will also show a button underneath, and, only when you click on it, will download and install the available update.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Look in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\Log\MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.log if you don't trust it.
    My connection is set as metered and 'Download updates over metered connections' is off in the 'About'
    And metered connections is on on wifi network properties. It still download and install the update.

    Matthew Wai said:
    When you click on "About Microsoft Edge", it will check for updates automatically. If you don't want an update, disconnect Windows from the Internet immediately.




    The old version is still on my Windows 10.

    About ms edge update-annotation-2021-04-26-151321.jpg
    I manage to close it at about 60 % of download, but it still complete the update.

    PS: I guess there is nothing i can do about it, hope it run well.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 7,456
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #6

    teots said:
    My connection is set as metered
    Did you set your connection as metered by a Registry hack as shown below?

      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1,806
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1348
       #7

    teots said:
    My ms edge automatic update to latest version 90.0.818.46 without asking when i click on "about ms edge".
    Download updates over metered connections is off. Is there anyway to disable auto update ?
    Hi teots,

    Have a look at the Task Scheduler and you'll find 2 or 3 entries for Edge Updates that are likely set to daily checks and at every user logon. Some of these tasks were set to repeat hourly. That only requires to untick a repeat hourly checkbox to fix.

    About ms edge update-0426-ts-edge-update.jpg


    To disable repeat hourly, look here.

    About ms edge update-0426b-ts-edge-update-repeat.jpg


    I use Edge strictly for testing purposes and truly can't see the need for updates that often. I've disabled 'at user logon' and changed the daily to weekly.

    For my use, weekly is likely much too often. You could set yours to monthly, if you prefer. I've set many of the updates in my Task Scheduler to run monthly, no smoke yet.
    Last edited by W10 Tweaker; 26 Apr 2021 at 15:03.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 5,183
    Windows 11 Home
       #8

    On a metered connection, a firewall or a network control is a must. Like free glasswire
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails About ms edge update-capture_04262021_214705.jpg  
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 343
    Ghost Spectre Win 10 64 Bit Pro V 20H2 Build 19042.985
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Matthew Wai said:
    Did you set your connection as metered by a Registry hack as shown below?

    Can you explain what need to do ?

    W10 Tweaker said:
    Hi teots,

    Have a look at the Task Scheduler and you'll find 2 or 3 entries for Edge Updates that are likely set to daily checks and at every user logon. Some of these tasks were set to repeat hourly. That only requires to untick a repeat hourly checkbox to fix.

    About ms edge update-0426-ts-edge-update.jpg


    To disable repeat hourly, look here.

    About ms edge update-0426b-ts-edge-update-repeat.jpg


    I use Edge strictly for testing purposes and truly can't see the need for updates that often. I've disabled 'at user logon' and changed the daily to weekly.

    For my use, weekly is likely much too often. You could set yours to monthly, if you prefer. I've set many of the updates in my Task Scheduler to run monthly, no smoke yet.
    I disabled the one for ms edge and everything else (one drive and updater) in task scheduler library.
    Can i do that ?

    TairikuOkami said:
    On a metered connection, a firewall or a network control is a must. Like free glasswire
    Firewall is on using windows security.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 7,456
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #10

    teots said:
    Can you explain what need to do ?
    Click here to download "Matthew's preference.zip" and extract the files.

    Double-click on "Metered or unmetered.cmd".

    Source: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...ml#post1813875
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums