Disable Microsoft Edge

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 16,014
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #1

    Disable Microsoft Edge


    I am about to perform a Clean Install of Win 10 Pro and I will be using Google Chrome [ offline installer already downloaded ready ] as my Browser.

    I do NOT want Microsoft Edge available [ popups, icons etc ]. I know that I can NOT delete it because of the impact that it has on the OS etc with regard to its integration. So I had an idea of a workaround, and thought I would post it here to see what other people recommend or have done and the implications associated with doing this.

    [1] Close Edge if it is running.
    [2] Open the folder => C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    [3] Rename . . .
    >> Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe to REMOVED_Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

    This way, it will be quite easy to re-instate it if needed!

    Thanks
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 17,831
    Windows 10
       #2

    Back in the good ole days, you could install a piece of software, if you liked it, and uninstall it if you didn't like it!

    The endless threads and posts on how to disable Edge, shut up Edge, uninstall Edge!!!

    Doesn't that in itself reveal that there is something extremely undesirable about that piece of bloatware!?!?!?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 16,014
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Hello @Edwin,

    Edwin said:
    Back in the good ole days, you could install a piece of software, if you liked it, and uninstall it if you didn't like it!

    The endless threads and posts on how to disable Edge, shut up Edge, uninstall Edge!!!

    Doesn't that in itself reveal that there is something extremely undesirable about that piece of bloatware!?!?!?

    Yes, the good ole days when things were a LOT easier.

    I have obviously Googled options and methods, but if you were to follow MOST of them, you could possibly cause more problems that you can handle. This would lead to you having a major job on your hands trying to correct the OS, it is just NOT worth the aggravation. That is why I tried to think of a simple, and straightforward method, that is also easily reversed.

      My Computer


  4. Posts : 17,831
    Windows 10
       #4

    Paul Black said:
    ...straightforward method, that is also easily reversed.
    It'll get reversed with the next Dev release!
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 17,720
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #5

    @Paul Black

    Here's the NEW problems with removing Edge.

    1. Removing the OLD Edge is what you are attempting in post #1. This will break WU.
    2. As soon as you do the March update?, MS will install the NEW Edge and remove 99% of the old Edge.
    3. The easiest way is a 3rd party firewall. Just block msedge.exe and microsoftedgeupdate.exe


    When you and MS do all that... the NEW Edge doesn't do anything, anymore... and MS takes care of the OLD Edge, without breaking Windows Update.


    This is the best I and Googling could do after a year of trying.

    But here is the location of the NEW Edge, in case you want to try other things...

    OLD: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    NEW: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge


    We all wish you luck in your desire to persevere, under the yoke of the Microsoft juggernaut.





    /edit

    Here is what the OLD Edge looks like after the March 2021 update...

    Disable Microsoft Edge-image1.png
    Last edited by Ghot; 18 Apr 2021 at 07:02.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 17,831
    Windows 10
       #6

    Edwin said:
    Doesn't that in itself reveal that there is something extremely undesirable about that piece of bloatware!?!?!?


    Ghot said:
    ...after a year of trying.
    My point reinforced!
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 17,720
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #7

    Edwin said:
    My point reinforced!


    Every time I think of Microsoft Edge... I think of the ending of Frankenstein, where the townsfolk with torches, march on the castle.




    Frankenstein (1931)


      My Computer


  8. Posts : 16,014
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Thanks Guys,

    Ghot said:
    Here's the NEW problems with removing Edge.

    1. Removing the OLD Edge is what you are attempting in post #1. This will break WU.
    2. As soon as you do the March update?, MS will install the NEW Edge and remove 99% of the old Edge.
    3. The easiest way is a 3rd party firewall. Just block msedge.exe and microsoftedgeupdate.exe

    When you and MS do all that... the NEW Edge doesn't do anything, anymore... and MS takes care of the OLD Edge, without breaking Windows Update.

    This is the best I and Googling could do after a year of trying.

    As the computer for this project [ NOT my main computer ] is a 12 year old laptop, I will NOT be performing WU's for obvious reasons relating to the old hardware compatibility etc. I will have WUMT [ besides a few REG Tweaks ] that will take care of WU's in case I need to update any possible Drivers. So basically, my question ONLY relates to the OLD MS Edge.

    I really DON'T want to use a third-party Firewall if at all possible.

    @Ghot, I also admire your perseverance.
    Thanks again.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 17,720
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #9

    Paul Black said:
    Thanks Guys,




    As the computer for this project [ NOT my main computer ] is a 12 year old laptop, I will NOT be performing WU's for obvious reasons relating to the old hardware compatibility etc. I will have WUMT [ besides a few REG Tweaks ] that will take care of WU's in case I need to update any possible Drivers. So basically, my question ONLY relates to the OLD MS Edge.

    I really DON'T want to use a third-party Firewall if at all possible.

    @Ghot, I also admire your perseverance.
    Thanks again.



    Well in that case... just use CCleaner's Secure File deletion on both of them.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 16,014
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Hello @Ghot,

    Ghot said:
    Well in that case... just use CCleaner's Secure File deletion on both of them.

    [1] What impact would that have on the OS though, especially considering that Edge is deeply integrated into the OS?

    [2] What would it break or cause NOT to work in your experience of a years testing?
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums