Windows 10: How to remove/disable Windows Edge browser?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
       23 Feb 2016 #11

    jbmatthew said: View Post
    Hi

    I am wanting to remove or at least disable edge browser in Windows 10. I will never use this web browser and so would like to get it out of the way.

    Thanks for the help

    It would seem we need to call the US Attorneys General office AGAIN to let them know that this EDGE browser is being forced on Windows 10 users with no way out as it runs in the background with no way turning off even while using others chosen browsers. This
    software is also collecting personal information and we have no way of stopping it or even scaling it. It back to court for Microsoft. WE ARE MAD and we by the millions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. hTconeM9user's Avatar
    Posts : 2,551
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 14393.953
       23 Feb 2016 #12

    ksaldutti said: View Post
    It would seem we need to call the US Attorneys General office AGAIN to let them know that this EDGE browser is being forced on Windows 10 users with no way out as it runs in the background with no way turning off even while using others chosen browsers. This
    software is also collecting personal information and we have no way of stopping it or even scaling it. It back to court for Microsoft. WE ARE MAD and we by the millions.
    Here we are again
    Edge is here to stay
    Who told you it collected Personal Information
    I can tell you it does not
    All it does is keep a note of what sites you go on like google and IE11 does.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       23 Feb 2016 #13

    ksaldutti said: View Post
    It would seem we need to call the US Attorneys General office AGAIN to let them know that this EDGE browser is being forced on Windows 10 users with no way out as it runs in the background with no way turning off even while using others chosen browsers. This
    software is also collecting personal information and we have no way of stopping it or even scaling it. It back to court for Microsoft. WE ARE MAD and we by the millions.
    Heed the advice given by Brink.
    Use other browser as default, Unpin the Edge and ignore it.
    Out of sight, out of mind.
    That's the best one can do.
    Last edited by davidhk; 23 Feb 2016 at 09:08.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 pr0
       13 Jun 2016 #14

    denied access to change foler


    lynefahm said: View Post


    I found this from another user, it worked! I would rename (to say, ME and MECP) instead of delete, and if you ever want to reverse the changes, just rename it back to MicrosoftEdge and MicrosoftEdgeCP to what it was originally!

    To do the things below, you need to edit the permissions first. Google 'how to access system apps folder in windows' and you'll see articles on how to edit the permission (so that you can change things yourself in the folder).

    Navigate to the Windows Apps install location:

    C:\Windows\SystemApps\
    And right-click the Microsoft Edge folder, Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe, and select Properties, where you can set the folder and all its contents to Read-Only (make sure the checkbox shows a checkmark, not a square). This will prevent Windows from making changes to the folder.
    Then, you can open the folder and rename the Microsoft Edge executables (MicrosoftEdge.exeand MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe) and/or delete them. I would rename them.

    Edge browser no longer works when you try to open it!
    I tried following these steps, but every time I tried to remove the square for that checkbox and add a checkmark I get a scree stating access is denied. The box states that I will need to provide adminstrator permission to change the attributes, I click continue and I get another popup stating an error occurred while applying attributes to this file: access denied. I just did the clean install of windows 10 on this pc yesterday and I don't like edge at all.

    I was finally able to set chrome as the default web browser but still Edge opens when I type in the "search the web and windows" box at the bottom of the task bar anyway. This is very annoying as well

    I had already removed / unpinned edge from the task bar but it still pops up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    14 Aug 2016 #15

    I preferred to try and rename the two Edge .exe files with the prefix "No" to make them easy to find and change back if needed but despite being logged in as the top Administrator with all privileges I received and Error Message that "I needed permission from a trusted installer".

    If you have Advanced System Care by iObit they have a Powerful Uninstall which I used for just the two .exe files although the confirmation message said it would be completely uninstalled after reboot. *I did un-check the read only attribute on the main folder where these were located and applied it to all contents within that folder first and then changed then re-checked the read only box before closing the window.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    15 Nov 2016 #16

    Edge is toxic to Acrobat


    I paid $168 for a year of Adobe Acrobat subscription and one day after I started using it, unbeknownst to me, Edge hijacked it and set itself as the PDF default viewer without my permission. So every time I would try to use Acrobat payware, all I would end up with would be a useless HTML file instead of the typical editable PDF.

    It took me an hour on the phone with Adobe's overseas call center to sort this out, because I assumed the problem was with Adobe. I didn't know that a browser had the automatic authority to make those kinds of changes at will - it never occurred to me as a possibility. Obviously I want to get rid of the toxic thing before it does something else that I'll need advanced computer skills to untangle.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    06 Dec 2016 #17

    envirosteele said: View Post
    I paid $168 for a year of Adobe Acrobat subscription and one day after I started using it, unbeknownst to me, Edge hijacked it and set itself as the PDF default viewer without my permission. So every time I would try to use Acrobat payware, all I would end up with would be a useless HTML file instead of the typical editable PDF.

    It took me an hour on the phone with Adobe's overseas call center to sort this out, because I assumed the problem was with Adobe. I didn't know that a browser had the automatic authority to make those kinds of changes at will - it never occurred to me as a possibility. Obviously I want to get rid of the toxic thing before it does something else that I'll need advanced computer skills to untangle.
    Holy cow man. Just set Acrobat as the default and drive on. You actually called Adobe for this? And it's not the browser making those changes, it's the OS. It wants to push MS products on you by default, as has been MS's MO for decades. (I will admit that when we started rolling out WIN10 at work I was a bit thrown off as to why MS would ship it with Edge configured as the default PDF viewer.)

    This is just like when you install Firefox or Chrome and you set one of them as the default browser. The only difference is that those browsers prompt you and ask if you want to set them as default. I know it's hard, but with a little google-fu you can figure out how to locate the "Default Applications" settings in Windows 10.

    You get to pick the default applications on your system. No one is forcing you to use anything. The amount of resources Edge consumes in the background is totally negligible.

    And whoever that was that suggested renaming the executables, good on you. If you really want it to stop running in the background, make it impossible to find by the system. As an IT professional, this is the quickest and easiest method I can recommend as well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    02 Feb 2017 #18

    I needed to disable web browsing with Edge and iexplore so remote desktop users couldn't browse. In C:\Windows\SystemApps I renamed the Edge folder to NOT_Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe. In C:\Program Files, and C:\Program Files (x86) I renamed the Internet Explorer folders to NOT_Internet Explorer. Both iexplore and Edge are now disabled.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. caperjack's Avatar
    Posts : 3,068
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       04 Feb 2017 #19

    that worked ,, but I don't want to disable it ,I just want to delete the favorites and replace with IE favorites , I did delete and replace the favorites ,but it still used the ones I deleted

    towncobbler said: View Post
    I needed to disable web browsing with Edge and iexplore so remote desktop users couldn't browse. In C:\Windows\SystemApps I renamed the Edge folder to NOT_Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe. In C:\Program Files, and C:\Program Files (x86) I renamed the Internet Explorer folders to NOT_Internet Explorer. Both iexplore and Edge are now disabled.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 19,017
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15063
       04 Feb 2017 #20

    caperjack said: View Post
    that worked ,, but I don't want to disable it ,I just want to delete the favorites and replace with IE favorites , I did delete and replace the favorites ,but it still used the ones I deleted
    Hello Jack,

    If you like, the 1st tutorial below may be able to clear your favorites in Microsoft Edge.

    Microsoft Edge Favorites - Add or Remove in Windows 10


    Microsoft Edge - Import Favorites from Internet Explorer in Windows 10
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
After installing Windows 10 recently I opened the Edge browser and I saw this strange font. When I right clicked to inspect the element it says it should be Arial but it is obviously not. It is the same on Bing and Yahoo search pages as well as...
Solved Disable/Remove SkyDrive in Software and Apps
So I found this script: But that does not remove it from the shell. How can I remove it completely?
Look, I'm not even going to pretend I understand everything I read from TrendLabs, but this is for those who do/might:) Source:...
Read more: Some Windows 10 Enterprise users won't get Microsoft's Edge browser | ZDNet
Source: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2015/04/29/microsoft-edge-is-the-browser-for-windows-10.aspx
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:13.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums