Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
  1.    13 Aug 2015 #1

    Can not declare IE 11 as default program


    Hello,

    After upgrading to Windows 10, Outlook 2010 keeps asking how to open web links when I clicked.
    I keep telling him to use IE11. The registry update Looks like Microsoft removed if IE11.
    For if I click Edge or chrome then he start each link in Edge or chrome.
    I do not want to used Edge for now until it not possible creates a simple link using drag / drop.
    And especially until it do not sync favorites with other machines in my park (windows 7 et windows 8.1).

    Do you have an idea ?

    This is a bug or it is by Microsoft? If this is the case, I immediately make a retro pedal to windows 7.

    Thank you
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 17,472
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15014
       13 Aug 2015 #2

    Hello Pmai, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    IE11 is still in Windows 10.

    Internet Explorer - Open in Windows 10

    If you like, you can use OPTION SIX in the tutorial below to "Set this program as default" for Internet Explorer to have IE11 open URL links.

    Default Apps - Choose in Windows 10
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 18
    Win 8.1; Win 10
       13 Aug 2015 #3

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello Pmai, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    IE11 is still in Windows 10.

    Internet Explorer - Open in Windows 10

    If you like, you can use OPTION SIX in the tutorial below to "Set this program as default" for Internet Explorer to have IE11 open URL links.

    Default Apps - Choose in Windows 10
    I have the same problem as the original poster. Your solution does not work -- at least, for links in Outlook 2010. No matter how you try to set IE 11 as the default browser, clicking a hyperlink in Outlook 2010 will open a window asking what program you wish to use to open the link. It gives you the option to continue using your default browser, or use Edge, or find some other program. It also has a checkbox to indicate that you want to do this from now on. Then, of course, you have to click "OK." NONE OF THIS HAS ANY EFFECT AT ALL (except to waste time). So, it takes four clicks to do what used to take only one click. Very annoying.

    BTW, this doesn't happen when you click on a hyperlink in a program like Acrobat. The only time I have this problem is with Outlook 2010.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 18
    Win 8.1; Win 10
       13 Aug 2015 #4

    pmai said: View Post
    Hello,

    After upgrading to Windows 10, Outlook 2010 keeps asking how to open web links when I clicked.
    I keep telling him to use IE11. The registry update Looks like Microsoft removed if IE11.
    For if I click Edge or chrome then he start each link in Edge or chrome.
    I do not want to used Edge for now until it not possible creates a simple link using drag / drop.
    And especially until it do not sync favorites with other machines in my park (windows 7 et windows 8.1).

    Do you have an idea ?

    This is a bug or it is by Microsoft? If this is the case, I immediately make a retro pedal to windows 7.

    Thank you
    Hi, Pmai. Have you found a solution to this yet? I have the same problem.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    13 Aug 2015 #5

    SoopaNutz said: View Post
    Hi, Pmai. Have you found a solution to this yet? I have the same problem.

    not yet. Even Microsoft does not answer
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 17,472
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15014
       13 Aug 2015 #6

    SoopaNutz said: View Post
    I have the same problem as the original poster. Your solution does not work -- at least, for links in Outlook 2010. No matter how you try to set IE 11 as the default browser, clicking a hyperlink in Outlook 2010 will open a window asking what program you wish to use to open the link. It gives you the option to continue using your default browser, or use Edge, or find some other program. It also has a checkbox to indicate that you want to do this from now on. Then, of course, you have to click "OK." NONE OF THIS HAS ANY EFFECT AT ALL (except to waste time). So, it takes four clicks to do what used to take only one click. Very annoying.

    BTW, this doesn't happen when you click on a hyperlink in a program like Acrobat. The only time I have this problem is with Outlook 2010.
    It works for me for links from within Outlook 2016.

    Default Apps - Choose in Windows 10


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Default_Programs.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	31093
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    13 Aug 2015 #7

    Brink said: View Post
    It works for me for links from within Outlook 2016.

    Default Apps - Choose in Windows 10


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Default_Programs.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	31093
    It may fontionne with outlook 2016. But I have a fleet of 12 machines with Outlok 2010 and I have no intention of spending money to go around 2016
    Option IE 11 as the default program is not save

    Sorry for my poor English because i am french
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Feb 2014
    Posts : 11
    Win 10
       13 Aug 2015 #8

    Brink said: View Post
    It works for me for links from within Outlook 2016.
    Interesting; I cannot get it to stick with Outlook 2010 either . May have to try OL 2016 and see if that works.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    16 Aug 2015 #9

    Hello SoopaNutz and Brink
    For Outlook 2010, did you find a solution?
    I really do not intend to invest in Outlook 2016, just because of this problem.
    I am sure that there is simply a key in the registry but what?
    See you
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 18
    Win 8.1; Win 10
       16 Aug 2015 #10

    pmai said: View Post
    Hello SoopaNutz and Brink
    For Outlook 2010, did you find a solution?
    I really do not intend to invest in Outlook 2016, just because of this problem.
    I am sure that there is simply a key in the registry but what?
    See you
    Pmai, I'm still looking for some solution, too. One work-around you could try would be to install FireFox and set it as your default browser. I've tried that, and I'm somewhat surprised at how good FireFox has become.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows asks default program even after being set: disable this?
So, when I set a default program in the Settings app and then open a file, Windows still asks which program I want to use. Admittedly, it does this only once per file type, but this is extremely annoying in a work environment where there are...
Software and Apps
insider program
I'm on the insider program. Can I move it to another Computer ? If so how? I want to sell my old test computer.
Windows Insider
Change default program files location to drive other than C?
There is the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion but changing the location in there, doesn't appear to be doing anything. I have a relatively small SSD and I can not install everything to my C drive. I...
Installation and Setup
Solved Photos default program needs to be changed
I messed up big time while installing 10 or shortly after I logged in. Somewhere I unchecked Photos, Mail, Camera and something else. Photos are set to open with TWINUI in properties but has a popout saying 'Element can't be found.' but can be...
Software and Apps
MS Insider Program
Hi, I've installed Win10 TP in VM player yesterday, received the security code from MS, 10 was activated. I'm not a PC expert or an IT pro, do I need to join the insider program to receive build updates? I have sent some feedback already when I was...
Windows Insider
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:52.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums