Copy Favorites from XP to 10 / Menu Bar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 222
    Windows 10 Home Premium-1803
       #1

    Copy Favorites from XP to 10 / Menu Bar


    Friend of mine decided he'd finally ditch his old XP tower and go to Windows 10. He got a Dell 8.1 that we upgraded to 10 Home Premium.

    I told him I'd get his IE8 Favorites off the old tower, so I copied them to a flash drive, and copied them to
    C:\Users\(user name)\Favorites. Using Explorer I can see that the files are in that folder, yet I see nothing using Edge. He'd be fine with Firefox, but there's no facility I'm aware of that let's us import Bookmarks from a flash drive.

    Additionally I seem unable to create new favorites. I set Google as a Favorite, but the yellow star fails to display anything.

    I was able to set his IE home page to what it was on XP, so at least that is working, although whenever we click on the IE icon it takes us to this silly page that says 'What do you want to do?' or something equally unhelpful. Since I was able to get the Home button to display, we have to click on that to get to his home page. Is there a work-around so we can go directly to his home page without making it a 2 step process?

    Lastly is there any way to get the old reliable Menu Bar back on Edge? File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools and Help are sorely missed. How do you reset Edge without it? Disable Add-ons? Set default search engines? Delete browsing history, etc. etc.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       #2

    Internet Explorer is in all apps, Windows Accessories.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 222
    Windows 10 Home Premium-1803
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Bazz said:
    Internet Explorer is in all apps, Windows Accessories.
    I'm quite sure you believe that 8 word reply is helpful. It is not.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       #4

    boweasel said:
    I'm quite sure you believe that 8 word reply is helpful. It is not.
    Sorry I misread your OP I thought you wanted to use IE, no need to be rude, sorry can't help won't help now.

    Hope that 23 word answer will suffice.

    So People actually still use IE, very strange, I thought that went out of trend when Firefox came out, then Chrome seems to now have the the majority share, personally I use Chrome for most things and Firefox for Acestream links.

    Regards have a nice day.
    Last edited by Bazz; 10 Aug 2015 at 19:23.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 222
    Windows 10 Home Premium-1803
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Bazz said:
    Sorry I misread your OP I thought you wanted to use IE, no need to be rude, sorry can't help.

    Hope that 20 word answer will suffice.

    So People actually still use IE, very strange.
    Okay.... And here I am believing that Windows Edge is simply Windows 10's name for Internet Explorer. So I just have to find Windows Accessories in W10, open Internet Explorer from there, and all of the Favorites we copied to C:\Users\(user name)\Favorites should now work?

    I personally use all 3 main browsers, but my friend has been used to IE, and he's an older guy. Old dog, new tricks....
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       #6

    boweasel said:
    Okay.... And here I am believing that Windows Edge is simply Windows 10's name for Internet Explorer. So I just have to find Windows Accessories in W10, open Internet Explorer from there, and all of the Favorites we copied to C:\Users\(user name)\Favorites should now work?

    I personally use all 3 main browsers, but my friend has been used to IE, and he's an older guy. Old dog, new tricks....
    Yep Start, All Apps, look down, I think they called Edge (Edge) because it's on the edge of being a browser.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 61,578
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
       #7

    Hello Bowesel, and welcome to Ten Forums. :)

    Since you already imported the Favorites from IE to the Favorites folder, you can pick up at step 4 in OPTION TWO of the tutorial below to import them into Microsoft Edge.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...dows-10-a.html
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 222
    Windows 10 Home Premium-1803
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Brink said:
    Hello Bowesel, and welcome to Ten Forums. :)

    Since you already imported the Favorites from IE to the Favorites folder, you can pick up at step 4 in OPTION TWO of the tutorial below to import them into Microsoft Edge.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...dows-10-a.html
    Thanks Brink, but if Bazz is correct, my friend will want to use Internet Explorer directly (I assume it will be IE11) instead of Edge. See my original post for additional reasons - things I assume will no longer be an issue once he gets away from Edge.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       #9

    boweasel said:
    Thanks Brink, but if Bazz is correct, my friend will want to use Internet Explorer directly (I assume it will be IE11) instead of Edge. See my original post for additional reasons - things I assume will no longer be an issue once he gets away from Edge.
    Click the start menu click all apps scroll down to Windows Accessories and IE is in there, I don't think I can make it much clearer, I do understand the bit about you being a old dog but it's not rocket science.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 20
    Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
       #10

    If you exported your Favourites from the old machine's IE using the export function: Menu > File > Import/Export, then you use can the same menu operation to import them back into IE 11 on the new Win10 installation. Having done that, you might be able to use Edge's feature to copy favourites over from IE.

    That said, Edge is NOT a replacement for IE. It is very much a cut-down 'Lite' browser, more suited to simple hand-held devices with chunky buttons and menus for you to prod a finger at. It is not a full-featured replacement for something like IE if you use any of the more powerful features. OK, if you use any features apart from basic viewing of pages.

    Andre
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums