I'm having a problem with chrome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Eaglepi's Avatar
    Posts : 217
    Windows 10 Pro Ver. 1903 (OS Build 1.8362.1082)
       #1

    I'm having a problem with chrome


    Seems like I have to keep going in and clearing my history, I remember several times going into the settings and setting it so it doesn't save my history or my search results. Or any websites that I go to.

    Is there a good tutorial on here that explains how to set it up so none of that stuff is saved?
      My Computer

  2. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,547
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #2

    You can amend your chrome shortcut command line to have
    --incognito

    at the end.

    Remember that your Internet service provider, work or school can still centrally track your internet usage.
    Also if you're a child, your parents may have installed web filters and logs on the PC that incognito will not hide you from

    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -incognito

    Or download this and extract it to your desktop
    Chrome Incognito.zip
      My Computers

  3. Eaglepi's Avatar
    Posts : 217
    Windows 10 Pro Ver. 1903 (OS Build 1.8362.1082)
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Cliff S said:
    You can amend your chrome shortcut command line to have
    --incognito

    at the end.

    Remember that your Internet service provider, work or school can still centrally track your internet usage.
    Also if you're a child, your parents may have installed web filters and logs on the PC that incognito will not hide you from

    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -incognito

    Or download this and extract it to your desktop
    Chrome Incognito.zip
    Thanks for the reply, I'm not a child by any means and I'm well aware that an IPS can track where you go if they have reason to. Just proper etiquette would be that they don't. I just don't want Chrome to save every search I do and I don't want all my history saved and I know there's a way to do that so that it won't. Incognito is not an option for me I don't want to use that. I just want to Save chrome so it doesn't save all that stuff. Thanks for your reply though
      My Computer

  4. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,547
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #4

    You're welcome, the settings you want are in Firefox(I only use FF in my Ubuntu VM), there you can really pick and choose.
      My Computers

  5. Eaglepi's Avatar
    Posts : 217
    Windows 10 Pro Ver. 1903 (OS Build 1.8362.1082)
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Cliff S said:
    You're welcome, the settings you want are in Firefox(I only use FF in my Ubuntu VM), there you can really pick and choose.
    Thanks again for your reply however you not replying to what I need your given me your opinion of what you think is best. I also use Firefox for things as well but I like to use chrome as well and I want to make sure that I can set It up so it doesn't save all my history and search results. I know it can be done in my take me a while to find it or it may take a while for someone the post on here how to do it but I'm sure I will find it I thank you for your help
      My Computer

  6. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,657
    Windows Home Dev 21H1 x64
       #6

    History Disabler - Chrome Web Store (by the way thanks, I think I will keep this one as well)

    Using google account, you can turn off search history:

    https://support.google.com/websearch...490028405&rd=1

    Or you can use other google based engine, without search history, like DuckDuckGo
      My Computer

  7. Eaglepi's Avatar
    Posts : 217
    Windows 10 Pro Ver. 1903 (OS Build 1.8362.1082)
    Thread Starter
       #7

    TairikuOkami said:
    History Disabler - Chrome Web Store (by the way thanks, I think I will keep this one as well)

    Using google account, you can turn off search history:

    https://support.google.com/websearch...490028405&rd=1

    Or you can use other google based engine, without search history, like DuckDuckGo
    Thank you very much for your reply, I don't have a Google plus account I just have a Gmail account and I may have just as regular Google account if they still have those but I know when I made everybody upgrade to Google plus I canceled and deleted it. I don't like Kenny's software company having that much control over my life. That's why I don't use any social media as well.
      My Computer

  8. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 24,178
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 2004
       #8

    When I saw your question I did a search as I found this. Looks interesting, haven't tried it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWvkM0Wd8hk

    Also I would set cookies under content to delete when you close session.

    While all of this deletes stuff from your PC it does not delete it from Google servers.

    https://www.lifewire.com/stop-google...arches-4123866

    This happens whether we sign in with our gmail account or not.

    In my opinion this is the privacy issue.

    So then the question becomes deleting that history or not creating that history in the first place.
      My Computer

  9. Eaglepi's Avatar
    Posts : 217
    Windows 10 Pro Ver. 1903 (OS Build 1.8362.1082)
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Caledon Ken said:
    When I saw your question I did a search as I found this. Looks interesting, haven't tried it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWvkM0Wd8hk

    Also I would set cookies under content to delete when you close session.

    While all of this deletes stuff from your PC it does not delete it from Google servers.

    https://www.lifewire.com/stop-google...arches-4123866

    This happens whether we sign in with our gmail account or not.

    In my opinion this is the privacy issue.

    So then the question becomes deleting that history or not creating that history in the first place.
    Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes I found that YouTube video probably about a year ago and tried everything in it and it doesn't work, if it does work it only works for short time but then all of a sudden Google start saving your history and everything again so I'm not sure what the answer is but we should be able to control what our browsers do.

    I would delete Chrome in a heartbeat however many times I need two different browsers open for the same website that I go to for my own personal reasons and when I use Firefox when I sign in to one it sends me into both and what I need is to be able to sign into one and just be a guest in the other so that won't work for me either so I have to have Chrome and I have to have Firefox because I won't use Internet Explorer.

    I just hope someday there is a true way to stop Chrome from saving your history and search results, I could care less of Google keeps on their servers I just want to control what's on my computer.
      My Computer

  10. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 24,178
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 2004
       #10

    Bet the history file bit gets reset when chrome updates.

    Thinking further out I guess you could build a bat file to set the read only bit and schedule through task manager to run on some suitable frequency.

    What is on Google servers is what drives the business model. It forms the basis for ads and basically gives Google the ability to profile us. It is the stuff should it ever be sold or stolen is what concerns me.

    There are some cleaners out there that can be used carefully to sweep this stuff out. I say carefully as some are quite aggressive. Used with task scheduler you could sweep on a regular basis.

    I keep cookies, block third party, but every day SuperAntiSpyware sweeps all tracking cookies.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:17.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums