Windows 10: Trying to install Windows Live Mail on Windows 10

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    02 Jun 2018 #1

    Trying to install Windows Live Mail on Windows 10


    I have just bought a HP Spectre x360 laptop running Windows 10 and the first thing I'm trying to get set up is my email. I've been using Windows Live Mail for a long time now and I'm happy with it so if possible I'd like to keep using it. I'm 64 and don't like change! I can't understand why they took this out of Windows 10 as it's a brilliant email program. Anyway I have been checking the web and found that a lot of people have successfully installed Live Mail on their Windows 10 systems but every time I try I get a message saying the installation has failed and the following error code; Error; 0x800c0006

    Am I doing something wrong here? Is there any way I can get Live Mail to install on my system?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. essenbe's Avatar
    Posts : 11,125
    Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Pro Insider
       02 Jun 2018 #2

    Hello Gozoman and welcome to the forums. Windows Live Mail is no longer supported by Microsoft and as such there is some security risk. However, it will still work on Windows 10 and should install. I'm not sure about your error. Do you have the offline installer, wlsetup.exe? If it asks to install a Net Framework, please allow it to do so.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    02 Jun 2018 #3

    essenbe said: View Post
    Hello Gozoman and welcome to the forums. Windows Live Mail is no longer supported by Microsoft and as such there is some security risk. However, it will still work on Windows 10 and should install. I'm not sure about your error. Do you have the offline installer, wlsetup.exe? If it asks to install a Net Framework, please allow it to do so.
    Hi Essenbe, Yeah I know it's no longer supported but I'd rather take the chance on that as have to start installing and learning a new email program. Not sure what the offline installer is to be honest. I downloaded a copy of Windows Essentials from a trusted site and tried to install it but got the error. The first time I tried to install the whole package which didn't work so I then tried deselecting the other three items and just installing Live Mail but that didn't work either. What is this offline installer?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 863
    Windows 10
       02 Jun 2018 #4

    I'm older than you, so that is not an excuse...
    I had to change and did so. WLM was not that good anyway, it is no longer supported, 2 of my 6 Mail Accounts would not work with IMAP.

    With the Windows 10 Mail App all 6 Accounts work with IMAP. Sure, I don't like the Mail App, but basically it has been working for over 4 years.

    You can set that up whilst looking for another modern Application.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 21,211
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       02 Jun 2018 #5

    If you prefer Window Live Mail to the UWP app, an alternative is Mozilla Thunderbird..
    It also has add-ons where your can theme & feature it to your preference, including with some work, get it close to WLM.

    On Windows I prefer the UWP app, but on Ubuntu, it's Thunderbird all the way.


    Switching to Thunderbird | Thunderbird Help

    Thunderbird and Hotmail | Thunderbird Help
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,207
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       02 Jun 2018 #6

    Gozoman said: View Post
    Hi Essenbe, Yeah I know it's no longer supported but I'd rather take the chance on that as have to start installing and learning a new email program. Not sure what the offline installer is to be honest. I downloaded a copy of Windows Essentials from a trusted site and tried to install it but got the error. The first time I tried to install the whole package which didn't work so I then tried deselecting the other three items and just installing Live Mail but that didn't work either. What is this offline installer?
    I have the Windows Essentials 2012 offline installer saved on my one drive.
    I posted it a month or so ago and one member said in rep point comment that it worked for him.

    If you care to give it a try, here is my onedrive link to the offline installer...……

    https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApPv90olkEMwg91YbABNmR1KJvxVPA

    Let me know if the link works.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    02 Jun 2018 #7

    davidhk said: View Post
    I have the Windows Essentials 2012 offline installer saved on my one drive.
    I posted it a month or so ago and one member said in rep point comment that it worked for him.

    If you care to give it a try, here is my onedrive link to the offline installer...

    https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApPv90olkEMwg91YbABNmR1KJvxVPA

    Let me know if the link works.
    Before I try it I'm wondering why it's called an offline installer. Should I be disconnecting from the internet when installing it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    02 Jun 2018 #8

    Cliff S said: View Post
    If you prefer Window Live Mail to the UWP app, an alternative is Mozilla Thunderbird..
    It also has add-ons where your can theme & feature it to your preference, including with some work, get it close to WLM.

    On Windows I prefer the UWP app, but on Ubuntu, it's Thunderbird all the way.


    Switching to Thunderbird | Thunderbird Help

    Thunderbird and Hotmail | Thunderbird Help
    Might have to look at THunderbird.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    02 Jun 2018 #9

    Helmut said: View Post
    I'm older than you, so that is not an excuse...
    I had to change and did so. WLM was not that good anyway, it is no longer supported, 2 of my 6 Mail Accounts would not work with IMAP.

    With the Windows 10 Mail App all 6 Accounts work with IMAP. Sure, I don't like the Mail App, but basically it has been working for over 4 years.

    You can set that up whilst looking for another modern Application.
    I just can't figure out why some people can get Live Mail to install on Windows 10 and I can't. I'm not worried about it not being supported as that can be a blessing when it comes to Microsoft!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,207
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       02 Jun 2018 #10

    Gozoman said: View Post
    Before I try it I'm wondering why it's called an offline installer. Should I be disconnecting from the internet when installing it?
    No need to do anything unusual.
    Just right click at the exe file > click Open. Windows Essentials 2012 will start to download and install. You might be told to install Net framework 3.5 first. Do so as asked.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
I am setting up Windows Mail on my new Windows 10 desktop computer. I want to transfer my Windows Live emails on Windows 7 to Windows Mail on Windows 10. I have 26 folders and subfolders on the old computer. How do I do that? Thanks, cb
I use Windows Live Mail and have e mail address xxx@live.co.uk Someone mentioned wlm would stop after the end of June. I don't use wlm to connect to outlook. So, after 30th June will I be still able to use wlm and use my XXX@live.co.uk email?...
Solved Windows Live Mail won't install in Browsers and Email
I get a Windows Live mail failed to install code 08007643. It says some other program is keeping it from installing, but it doesn't tell me which one. I have turned off antivirus and firewall. I have also "Run as administrator" and logged in as...
I've used WLM 2012 with Windows 7 and it has worked fine all these years. After installing 10 I see it contains its own Mail app. Is it possible to transfer all my emails and settings from WLM to Mail?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36.
Find Us