Windows 10: Pale Moon to Waterfox migration

  1.    06 Mar 2018 #1

    Pale Moon to Waterfox migration


    Hello

    I've been using Pale Moon for a few years since Firefox became a bit crap but now Pale Moon has recently made a significant change that has forced me to look for another browser. I have installed Waterox to give it a try and have searched online for ways to export all settings, bookmarks and passwords from Pale Moon to Waterfox but the results are never relevant. There is plenty of information about migrating from Firefox to Pale Moon or Firefox to Waterfox.
    Does anybody here have any ideas on the best (and hopefully easy) way to move everything over to Waterfox?
    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    06 Mar 2018 #2

    I have use Pale Moon for years due to favorite extensions still being supported but not in Firefox. Curious what changed, in your mind.
    Bookmarks are easy. Click Pale Moon in upper L corner/Bookmarks/Organize bookmarks then Import and Backup tab/Export bookmarks to HTML. File is importable to any browser.
    I use Last Pass password manager so all passwords work on any browser with LP extension or login to their home page. Settings may have to be redone from Customize in Waterfox. Good Luck
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    07 Mar 2018 #3

    mrgeek said: View Post
    I have use Pale Moon for years due to favorite extensions still being supported but not in Firefox. Curious what changed, in your mind.
    Bookmarks are easy. Click Pale Moon in upper L corner/Bookmarks/Organize bookmarks then Import and Backup tab/Export bookmarks to HTML. File is importable to any browser.
    I use Last Pass password manager so all passwords work on any browser with LP extension or login to their home page. Settings may have to be redone from Customize in Waterfox. Good Luck
    Hi

    I switched to Pale Moon after Firefox limited cookie control. Previously I used to deny all cookies unless it was a site I used often and trusted, I would then allow all cookies. For some sites it was necessary to allow cookies only for that session, these were normally sites that I needed to have a cookie but didn't want it stored permanently or where I had to buy something where the price could change. Pale Moon has recently joined Firefox in removing the 'ask me every time' option in cookie control which is what Waterfox has.

    I have managed to import my bookmarks but am having trouble with LastPass. I have opened the LastPass vault in Waterfox and have tried to import passwords using a 'Generic CSV File' but they don't seem to transfer to Waterfox.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    07 Mar 2018 #4

    From way out in leftfield, is Pale Moon that was used 32-bit or 64-bit, WaterFox being 64-bit?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    07 Mar 2018 #5

    Tetramesh said: View Post
    Hi

    I switched to Pale Moon after Firefox limited cookie control. Previously I used to deny all cookies unless it was a site I used often and trusted, I would then allow all cookies. For some sites it was necessary to allow cookies only for that session, these were normally sites that I needed to have a cookie but didn't want it stored permanently or where I had to buy something where the price could change. Pale Moon has recently joined Firefox in removing the 'ask me every time' option in cookie control which is what Waterfox has.
    Personally I never bother about such things. I set third party cookies to "Never" accept and for the rest of the cookies I use Cookie Auto Delete and Cookie Quick Manager extensions.

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ie-autodelete/

    With Cookie AutoDelete the Whitelist is for cookies that you want to store permanently and the Greylist is for cookies that you want to keep but delete on browser close. Other cookies will auto delete when you leave the site or close the current tab.

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...quick-manager/


    Cookie Quick Manager allows prevention of cookie deletion even by Cookie Auto Delete addon. It does not stop cookies being removed when Firefox is closed if you set the option to clear cookies on close in the browser's options.

    Protected cookie in Cookie Quick Manager:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cookie Quick Manager.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	179935

    Highlighted options are for "protect all cookies" on the left or "protect selected cookie" on the right.

    Cookie Auto Delete tries to delete the protected cookie:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spy-The-Spy.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	179936

    However the cookie is kept until the browser is closed. (Behaviour configured in FF options and Cookie Auto Delete)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cookie Auto Delete.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	179939


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cookie Auto Delete 2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	179940
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    07 Mar 2018 #6

    Tetramesh said: View Post
    I have managed to import my bookmarks but am having trouble with LastPass. I have opened the LastPass vault in Waterfox and have tried to import passwords using a 'Generic CSV File' but they don't seem to transfer to Waterfox.


    Can't help with the cookie setting, as I have it set to only save cookies for sites that I visit. As far as LastPass, it is control from their site, not the browser. If you sign in to the extension in Waterfox, Chrome or Edge, your password vault is synchronized when you sign in. IE; you enter a new User name and pass on a new site in Waterfox and elect to 'save site and password', you can close, open Chrome, sign-in to the LastPass extension there and the new site will be there too. The CSV export is only to create a file that you can store on, say, a flash drive to use on another computer or export to Onedrive for safe keeping. Hope that helps.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    14 Mar 2018 #7

    Hello
    I have transferred everything from Pale Moon to Waterfox using MozBackup, it seems to be running smoothly so far. I have also installed the Cookie AutoDelete and Cookie Quick Manager extensions but I think the Cookie AutoDelete one will suffice. I think I'll stick with this setup until the next unwanted change to my browser of (not quite) choice.
    It's a shame we have to install extensions to replace something that used to be part of the browser.

    Thanks for all the advice, it is much appreciated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. ThrashZone's Avatar
    Posts : 3,839
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       14 Mar 2018 #8

    Hi,
    Worst thing about Palemoon now is there's not a no-coin.... extension yet for bitcoin mining browser highjacking yet
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Never have I had a problem with Windows 7 but now I've got a new computer and Windows 10. I'm using Firefox ESR 45.6.0 and Pale Moon Version: 27.0.3 (x64). I connect all the time to NZBIndex - We index, you search. The first connection to the site...
waterfox in Browsers and Email
I have been using waterfox 64bit on the last few win 10 updates but for some reason after latest win update I cannot to certain sites :- speedtest.net just gives a black screen; but it works alright on Spartan. have uninstalled and reinstalled...
Hey all, I just bought a new Dell Desktop Windows 10 pre-installed. Across the system, websites included, every app shows some areas highlighted with a pale pink color. For the life of me I can't find the way to shut this off or even change the...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:05.
Find Us