Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing Solved

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1.    09 Jan 2018 #31

    Callender said: View Post
    Security software might also cause the problem like in this post:

    How to fix Comodo Browser Protection - Windows 10 Forums
    Running AVG. I disabled it entirely but get the same switch back to Bing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    10 Jan 2018 #32

    Cephus404 said: View Post
    I loaded yours, which had several search engines. I deleted them all, reset to Google and then restarted Firefox. It had reset to Bing.
    What did it do when you launched FF before deleting anything?

    It should have defaulted to Google. So something outside of Firefox would appear to be the cause but you'd still need to do a FF Profile backup and clean install of Firefox as per the earlier post just to be sure.

    Maybe try running this to see if it finds anything:

    Avast Browser Cleanup | Uninstall annoying toolbars

    Also try looking for user.js in Firefox profile and delete if found.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    10 Jan 2018 #33

    On second thoughts lets get a look at software installed on your system. Run a UVK Scan & Create Log as per the second part of this post:

    File Explorer in Windows 10 Not Opening Folders Solved - Windows 10 Forums

    Check the log before you upload it and remove any personal information.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    10 Jan 2018 #34

    Callender said: View Post
    What did it do when you launched FF before deleting anything?

    It should have defaulted to Google. So something outside of Firefox would appear to be the cause but you'd still need to do a FF Profile backup and clean install of Firefox as per the earlier post just to be sure.

    Maybe try running this to see if it finds anything:

    Avast Browser Cleanup | Uninstall annoying toolbars

    Also try looking for user.js in Firefox profile and delete if found.
    It did default to Google, but it replaced Bing and the second I tried loading any search engines, it defaulted to Bing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    10 Jan 2018 #35

    Callender said: View Post
    Maybe try running this to see if it finds anything:

    Avast Browser Cleanup | Uninstall annoying toolbars

    Also try looking for user.js in Firefox profile and delete if found.
    I ran it, it made changes, then when I rebooted Firefox, Bing was back.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    10 Jan 2018 #36

    Remove all traces of Firefox from your PC using such a program as Revo Uninstaller. You may have to go into your user app settings ie. Local, Local Low and Roaming. Remove all traces of Mozilla there. Then restart your PC. Install Firefox 57.0.4 with no extensions then go to options and remove every search engine but Google.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    10 Jan 2018 #37

    Josey Wales said: View Post
    Remove all traces of Firefox from your PC using such a program as Revo Uninstaller. You may have to go into your user app settings ie. Local, Local Low and Roaming. Remove all traces of Mozilla there. Then restart your PC. Install Firefox 57.0.4 with no extensions then go to options and remove every search engine but Google.
    Good call but I reckon it must be down to malware since changing profile didn't help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    10 Jan 2018 #38

    Callender said: View Post
    Good call but I reckon it must be down to malware since changing profile didn't help.
    Changing a Profile does NOT remove anything from his system.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    10 Jan 2018 #39

    Callender said: View Post
    Good call but I reckon it must be down to malware since changing profile didn't help.
    But I've done multiple scans with every scanner I can find and they all come back completely clean.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    10 Jan 2018 #40

    Cephus404 said: View Post
    But I've done multiple scans with every scanner I can find and they all come back completely clean.
    I believe you - hence ZHP cleaner reported nothing. UVK isn't a dedicated virus scanner but rather a collection of tools and scripts. I'd just like to see the log and look for potentially problem software or running processes.

    Question. Does this only affect Firefox and not other browsers?

    Anything unusual in FF shortcut properties target field?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mozilla Firefox Properties.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	171892

    Any idea when the problem started (date) ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Related Threads
UPDATE 11/14: Introducing the New Firefox: Firefox Quantum - Windows 10 Forums https://www.cnet.com/special-reports/mozilla-firefox-fights-back-against-google-chrome/
Source: Bing Search API v7 and Bing Custom Search are now generally available | Blog | Microsoft Azure See also: Bing Custom Search and Bing Search API V7 Now Generally Available | Search Quality Insights
I've read several threads here about the homepage resetting to Bing and I've tried all the recommendations. My homepage continues to reset to Bing. I've scanned for virus' & malware w/ Malwarebytes & Defender. Also used McAfee Stinger. No problems...
Hello, lately I've been having an issue where Windows will open a separate tab for Firefox when i open it with the original pinned icon on my task bar.. I've tried opening firefox and unpinning the pinned shortcut and pinning the opened one and...
Bing to google for firefox in Browsers and Email
don't know if it has been posted yet but Install this script and no more bing with cortana :party: Bing to Google
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:12.
Find Us