A Question About Macrium Reflect

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 178
    Windows 10
       #1

    A Question About Macrium Reflect


    Will Macrium take care of it when making the Bootable rescue media on a USB or do I need a third party tool to make partitions and to make it Bootable?

    I'v got a brand new USB flash Drive that's factory formatted to FAT32. Do I need to make any further prep with it?
      My Computer

  2. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,598
    Windows 10 Pro
       #2

    Just plug in the USB drive, Macrium will make it bootable and copy necessary files to it.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 178
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Kari said:

    Just plug in the USB drive, Macrium will make it bootable and copy necessary files to it.
    Ok,..thanks.
      My Computer

  4. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,598
    Windows 10 Pro
       #4

    See Part Two in following tutorial for how to create Macrium Rescue USB: Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Backup Restore Tutorials
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 178
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Thanks for that. Another brilliant tutorial on this great website.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 913
    CP/M
       #6

    In the case you encounter problems booting rescue usb disk, please take a look at this guide:
    Preparing a USB stick for Windows PE - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
    In some cases, it is necessary to prepare usb stick this way before creating Reflect rescue media.
      My Computer


  7. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,887
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #7

    Hi there
    quick way of preparing a USB

    1) load into USB slot
    2) as administartor run cmd
    3) type in the following commands.

    diskpart

    list disk say the USB is disk nr 2
    select disk 2
    clean
    create partition primary
    list partition assume partition is nr 1
    select partition 1
    format fs=ntfs quick
    active
    assign
    exit.

    Now if you downloaded the .iso from macrium use rufus to create a bootable USB. Otherwise Macrium might create a bootable USB drive directly. I've usually found downloading the ISO and using rufus yields the best results - particularly if you need to use the bootable recovery USB stick on both NON UEFI (MBR) and UEFI systems.

    when creating the file system you can choose fat32 or whatever instead of ntfs if you like --rufus will re-create the partition in any case when creating the bootable media.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  8. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,383
    Windows10
       #8

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there
    quick way of preparing a USB

    1) load into USB slot
    2) as administartor run cmd
    3) type in the following commands.

    diskpart

    list disk say the USB is disk nr 2
    select disk 2
    clean
    create partition primary
    list partition assume partition is nr 1
    select partition 1
    format fs=ntfs quick
    active
    assign
    exit.

    Now if you downloaded the .iso from macrium use rufus to create a bootable USB. Otherwise Macrium might create a bootable USB drive directly. I've usually found downloading the ISO and using rufus yields the best results - particularly if you need to use the bootable recovery USB stick on both NON UEFI (MBR) and UEFI systems.

    when creating the file system you can choose fat32 or whatever instead of ntfs if you like --rufus will re-create the partition in any case when creating the bootable media.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Nooooo!

    Do not format usb drive as NTFS. UEFI based pcs (most these days) will not boot from an NTFS formatted usb drive except in rare cases bios will allow it.

    Format drive as fat32 and it is 100% compatible with UEFI or legacy bios.
      My Computer

  9. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,887
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #9

    cereberus said:
    Nooooo!

    Do not format usb drive as NTFS. UEFI based pcs (most these days) will not boot from an NTFS formatted usb drive except in rare cases bios will allow it.

    Format drive as fat32 and it is 100% compatible with UEFI or legacy bios.
    Hi there
    @cereberus
    Yes you are correct - but RUFUS will re-do the partition so it's MBR or UEFI compatible (or both).
    I'd forgotten the fs parameter in my command for non ntfs file system .

    Incidentally if you have larger USB sticks you can create more than one partition on them so you only need to create a partition size large enough for the stand alone / bootable version of Macrium to run on.

    What I have is a 16GB USB3 stick with 3 partitions where I can boot Macrium. Linux Centos and Linux Mint. All 3 of these systems make the USB stick a very useful tool. I'd advise a USB3 stick as it's so much faster than the USB 2 sticks -- they will also boot from USB 2 slots if your computer can't boot from USB 3.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  10. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,383
    Windows10
       #10

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there
    @cereberus
    Yes you are correct - but RUFUS will re-do the partition so it's MBR or UEFI compatible (or both).
    I'd forgotten the fs parameter in my command for non ntfs file system .

    Incidentally if you have larger USB sticks you can create more than one partition on them so you only need to create a partition size large enough for the stand alone / bootable version of Macrium to run on.

    What I have is a 16GB USB3 stick with 3 partitions where I can boot Macrium. Linux Centos and Linux Mint. All 3 of these systems make the USB stick a very useful tool. I'd advise a USB3 stick as it's so much faster than the USB 2 sticks -- they will also boot from USB 2 slots if your computer can't boot from USB 3.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I never use Rufus anymore. I simply mount iso as a drive and simply copy files to a fat32 drive.

    With the standard MS iso, the drive is fully legacy bios or uefi compatible. It may be necessary to mark partition as active from diskpart for legacy bios installs but that only takes a few seconds.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:37.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums